Vector components in Polar Coordinate

In summary, the conversation is about finding the tangential and radial components of a vector in non-uniform circular motion given its horizontal and vertical components in Cartesian coordinates. The speaker also mentions the need to convert the coordinates to polar form and the use of arctangent to determine the angle. They request immediate help with this problem.
changazi
Hi!

In a non-uniform circular motion if I have two components of a vector in cartesian coordinates then how to find the tangential and radial components of a vector. For example ;

I have Vx and Vy as horizontal and vertical components of a vector V respectively. Vx and Vy can lie in all for quadrants.

First I convert this into polar form as

|V|=sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)

Tangent (angle)=(Vy/Vx)

From this conversion from cartesian to polar coordinates that I have found out now, how can I find the Tangential and radial components of the Vector V in polar coordinates or saying in other way that if I have two components of a vector in cartesian coordinates then from this information how can I find the two components of that vector in polar coordinates.

Immediate help is needed SOS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF changazi.

I don't really think I understand your question, didn't you just write down the polar coordinates of V? The only thing you need to take care with is the angle (you can take the arctangent, but you might have to add/subtract something to make sure it lies in the right quadrant -- you can easily see how to do this if you draw a picture of the vector).

Hi there!

In order to find the tangential and radial components of a vector in polar coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

Radial component = |V| * cos(angle)

Tangential component = |V| * sin(angle)

Using the information you have provided, you can plug in the values for |V| and angle (calculated using Vy and Vx) into these formulas to find the respective components in polar coordinates. It is important to note that the angle must be in radians for these formulas to work properly.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Vector components in Polar Coordinate

What are vector components in Polar Coordinate?

In Polar Coordinate, a vector can be represented by its magnitude and direction. The magnitude is given by the length of the vector, and the direction is given by the angle the vector makes with a reference line, usually the positive x-axis.

How do you convert a vector from Cartesian Coordinate to Polar Coordinate?

To convert a vector from Cartesian Coordinate (x,y) to Polar Coordinate (r,θ), you can use the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1(y/x)

What are the advantages of using Polar Coordinate for vector components?

Polar Coordinate allows for a more intuitive representation of vectors, as the magnitude and direction can be easily visualized. It is also useful for solving problems involving circular motion or forces acting at an angle.

Can you add and subtract vectors in Polar Coordinate?

Yes, vectors can be added and subtracted in Polar Coordinate using the Parallelogram Law or the Triangle Law. Complex calculations involving multiple vectors can also be simplified using the Polar Coordinate system.

How do you find the components of a vector in Polar Coordinate?

To find the x and y components of a vector in Polar Coordinate, you can use the following equations:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)