Vector Components for Destination Distance

In summary, the problem asks for the distance b that Amy travels towards [E20 degrees N] before reaching her destination 330m [E31 degrees N] away. Using vector components, the possible values for b are approximately 246m or 401.5m. However, the use of trigonometry is not allowed in solving this problem. Other methods such as graphical approaches may be used to solve the problem.
Ellipses

Homework Statement

Amy wants to reach a destination that is 330m [E31 degrees N] from where she is. She travels a distance b towards [E20 degrees N] and then 100m to her destination. What is the distance b? (list all possible answers)

(Sorry I don't know how to get symbols)

Let [N] and [E] be positive.
delta d = 330m [E31 degrees N]
delta db = x [E20 degrees N]
delta dc = 100m [?]

Homework Equations

dx = d cos theta
dy = d sin theta

theta = tan^-1 (y / x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first, I'm not allowed to use trig to solve (so no sine law for me). When I did it just to get the answer, I came up with x = 246 or x = 401.5 (approximate).

I've been trying this all of yesterday and I've got nothing. At this point I'm just randomly plugging things in and hoping something will come out.

I found the vector components of d, so
dx = +330cos31
dx = +282.87

dy = +330sin31
dy = +169.96

The rest of what I did is just kind of nonsense, now that I look at it. Anyone have any idea how to go about this? Any help would be appreciated! (And I know it probably isn't very clear so if any clarification is needed, just ask!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a picture of what is going on and the solution might follow?

Attachments

• amy049.jpg
    amy049.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 437
Thank you for the picture, but every time I look at it (or my own diagrams), I still can only think of using trig to solve it. I just can't see how you can use components for this. :/

The problem asks for possible values of b. Does it tell you how you are to solve the problem? If you can solve the problem with trig then go for it?

I have to use vector components. My teacher said no trig/sine law/anything. D:

Part of your information is angles, without trig I don't see how you get components? Can you solve this problem graphically with protractor and ruler? Then you could measure the components.

I'm stumped, sorry I'm of no help right now.

Anyone else?

Related to Vector Components for Destination Distance

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts of a vector that represent its magnitude and direction in different coordinate axes. They are usually denoted as x and y components, or i and j components.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector given its components?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, magnitude = √(x² + y²).

3. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. The sign of a vector component indicates its direction, with positive values representing a rightward or upward direction, and negative values representing a leftward or downward direction.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector components?

Scalar components refer to the individual parts of a scalar quantity, such as speed or temperature, which only have a magnitude. Vector components, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction.

5. How are vector components used in physics?

Vector components are used in physics to analyze and calculate the motion of objects. By breaking down a vector into its components, we can apply mathematical principles to determine its overall magnitude and direction, and how it changes over time.