Commonly performed surgeries in America

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
In summary, some commonly performed surgeries in America include cataract surgery, vasectomy, back surgery, hysterectomies, hip replacement, plastic surgery for breast enhancement and facial reconstruction. Vasectomy is the most common form of birth control for men and offers benefits such as avoiding hormonal birth control methods and saving money. Plastic surgery, such as breast enhancement and facial reconstruction, is also commonly performed in America. Other surgeries, such as episiotomy and tubal ligation, are also commonly performed but may have more risks and longer recovery time.
PrudensOptimus
List some commonly performed surgeries in America.

I'll start:

Cataract - phaco out bad lens and replace it with IOL, Intraocular Lens implant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vasectomy the most common form of birth control in this country

Back surgery, the third most common surgery in america

If you include all I and Ds or Incision and Drainages of abceseses, this has got to be the most common since non surgeons can preform these on superficial abcesses.

Hysterectomies

Hip replacement (it's in the top 10)

Originally posted by adrenaline
Vasectomy the most common form of birth control in this country

Back surgery, the third most common surgery in america

If you include all I and Ds or Incision and Drainages of abceseses, this has got to be the most common since non surgeons can preform these on superficial abcesses.

Hysterectomies

Hip replacement (it's in the top 10)

Vasectomy offers sterilization forever?? Why would someone offer that operation on men?

The guy pretty much is done with kids

Benefits:

1. The wife does not prolong ingestion of birth control pills which have the disadvantage of increasing her chances of blood clots, strokes, and weight gain.

2. Most guys don't want to keep using condoms, hence the above

3. Unlike tubal ligation of women, it is not an intrabdominal procedure and does not incur the risk of intrabdominal surgeries including: more risk of bleeding, difficulty of access and the potential for setting up adhesions which can come back and cause small bowel obstructions in the far future.

4. You save money on condoms or birth control pills.

5. The world is overpopulated

The men do not make these decisions without some thought. Many have a clutch full of kids from more than one marriage and are not financially capable or emotionally able to have another.

The guy pretty much is done with kids

Benefits:

1. The wife does not prolong ingestion of birth control pills which have the disadvantage of increasing her chances of blood clots, strokes, and weight gain.

2. Most guys don't want to keep using condoms, hence the above

3. Unlike tubal ligation of women, it is not an intrabdominal procedure and does not incur the risk of intrabdominal surgeries including: more risk of bleeding, difficulty of access and the potential for setting up adhesions which can come back and cause small bowel obstructions in the far future.

4. You save money on condoms or birth control pills.

5. The world is overpopulated

The men do not make these decisions without some thought. Many have a clutch full of kids from more than one marriage and are not financially capable or emotionally able to have another.

umm, what kind of sick men want to do that?? **** everyday?

It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens which are outside the abdominal cavity . Most guys are back to having sex, bikng etc. within a week. Clipping the fallopian tubes (the female equivalent of vas deferens so to speak,) is much more painful and a longer postoperative recovery.

Plastic surgery. Breast enchancement. Facial recontructive surgery.

It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens which are outside the abdominal cavity . Most guys are back to having sex, bikng etc. within a week. Clipping the fallopian tubes (the female equivalent of vas deferens so to speak,) is much more painful and a longer postoperative recovery.
*makes a mental note*

It's an easy surgery, you just snip the vas deferens ...

Only a woman would say that. I don't want any snipping around little Njorl! Well... not little Njorl ... um medium Njorl ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl

Only a woman would say that. I don't want any snipping around little Njorl! Well... not little Njorl ... um medium Njorl ... yeah, that's the ticket!

Njorl

Originally posted by Monique
*makes a mental note*

Oh ya, well nothing says lovin like watching an appesiotomy(sp?).
It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!

Last edited:
Even MORE reason to have the MALE's tubes snipped.

Originally posted by Zantra
It's where they slice right up the middle to widen inner labia to allow for the birthing process. I was fine right up until that happened. I can watch blood, guts, mucous, even openings stretching way past what they were meant to do. But when they started slicing stuff up down there, I had to sit down.

Take THAT!

When my daughter was being delivered, they had to do an unexpected epeziotomy. The doctor just grabbed some scissors and started chopping away. I nearly went berserk. I started letting go of my wifes foot so I could pummel the doctor. I imagine it would not have been a helpful thing to do.

Njorl

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
umm, what kind of sick men want to do that?? **** everyday?
The kind of man who loves his wife and is willing to undergo a minor office procedure instead of putting her through the multiple health risks of BC pills or full-blown surgery with anesthesia and the previously-mentioned risks of THAT!

Uh, what do you mean "everyday?"? (*raises eyebrow*)

Take THAT!
Wimp. Ivan came to work with me one night while I was on call many years ago, and we were trying to get an IV going on a rather difficult pt. Just as we got the cath into the vein, the pt. became even more agitated and a little more blood 'escaped' than usual. Ivan was helping to hold the pt. down for the procedure and suddenly became rather pale and I had to send him into the next room to recover. He usually does not have this type of problem with blood - unlike all the big, tough college football players that we always did lab work on during their sports physicals. I can't tell you how many of these guys we had to pick up off the floor of the lab after their blood draws! What a RIOT!

Knee replacements, shoulder and knee arthroscopies, emergency appendectomies (usually about one a week at most hospitals I've worked at), cervical fusions...all extremely common. Also, tonsillectomies are still done quite a bit by some MD's, although not as much as they used to be done. Tubal ligations (for the women of the men who just plain shrivel up at the mere thought of a vasectomy for themselves ) still seem to be quite a hit on the surgery schedules these days. Surgical removal of foreign bodies (various items from various body parts and orifices) has been on the rise in recent years as well.

Originally posted by Tsunami
The kind of man who loves his wife and is willing to undergo a minor office procedure instead of putting her through the multiple health risks of BC pills or full-blown surgery with anesthesia and the previously-mentioned risks of THAT!

Uh, what do you mean "everyday?"? (*raises eyebrow*)

how much does that vactosectomy cost? do you know, bud?

Heck, we got our little pair of scissors at WalMart for a couple of dollars. The ice was free.

Depends. Call your family physician. He/she will be able to give you all the info you need. I think, though, you may be a tad young to be considering this, don't you? Please tell me you're just curious and you are not considering this. Talk to your parents or doctor if you are.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Heck, we got our little pair of scissors at WalMart for a couple of dollars. The ice was free.
Yes, and I got to do something I always wanted to try! That was such a fun day. Wasn't it, honey? )]

Depends. Call your family physician. He/she will be able to give you all the info you need. I think, though, you may be a tad young to be considering this, don't you? Please tell me you're just curious and you are not considering this. Talk to your parents or doctor if you are.

LOL, no I am not considering that. I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.

LOL, no I am not considering that. I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.

it's a fifth of the price of tubal ligation and pays for itself once the woman is off birth control pills for a few years. (Assuming she is spending 30-60 dollars per month depending on her drug plan)

I'm just curious how much would a man spend to get sterilized permanently.

It can be reversed.

Originally posted by iansmith
It can be reversed.

Unfortunately, it only has a 40 to 50 percent success rate.

50 percent is better than the zero percent chance of reversing a vasectomy.

Besides, these types of surguries are usually declined to anyone under 25, unles there are extrenuating circumstances (ie a lot of kidss already).

Tsunami, I spy a medical professional. Nurse is it?:wink:

Elementary!

Adrenaline just said it was 40-50%?

Besides, these types of surguries are usually declined to anyone under 25, unles there are extrenuating circumstances (ie a lot of kidss already).

Tsunami, I spy a medical professional. Nurse is it?:wink:

Elementary!
Diagnostic Imaging. X-ray, CT, MRI, mammography. I'm checking into expanding into PET. Imaging is also used quite extensively in the surgical suites.

Diagnostic Imaging. X-ray, CT, MRI, mammography. I'm checking into expanding into PET. Imaging is also used quite extensively in the surgical suites.

oops.. radiology? that's cool=) I'm very interested in radiology

Oh, and I meant elementary, as in elementary my dear watson- deducing your profession:wink:

Originally posted by Monique
Adrenaline just said it was 40-50%?

Ya.. 40-50 percent sucess rate on tubal ligation reversals, versus 0 possibility to reverse the vasectomy.

Ya.. 40-50 percent sucess rate on tubal ligation reversals, versus 0 possibility to reverse the vasectomy.
In that case we just get a needle and extract the swimmers that way.. :wink:

oops.. radiology? that's cool=) I'm very interested in radiology
Imaging includes Radiology. Ultrasound and MRI do not utilize radiation, so technically they don't fall in the category of radiology. That's why you'll see more 'Radiology' departments being called 'Imaging'. It's truly a fascinating field. We have our fingers in almost every medical specialty 'pie' that's out there. I also enjoyed a bit of Interventional Radiology in it's early stages. I almost specialized in angiography but the advent of CT diverted my attentions. The technological advancements in that field have been incredible to observe! We went from doing head scans (two contiguous 5mm axial slices - considered VERY high resolution at that time) in 5 minutes, to total body scans (sixteen 3mm helical [overlapping] slices)in LESS THAN A SECOND! There are also .5 - 1mm slice capabilities on most scanners. Computer reconstruction of these images used to take up to 5 minutes. Now they are nearly instantaneous, with sagittal and coronal reconstructions almost as fast. Different algorithms can be applied to the images to enhance things like boney trebeculae and lung parenchyma. And those 3D 'Fly By' virtual bronchoscopies and colonoscopies - WOW! CT has taken over a lot of the angio exams and almost all pulmonary embolism evaluations. Interventional medicine is a big part of most CT suites, as well. It's a wonderful blend of medicine and computer technology.

Oh, and I meant elementary, as in elementary my dear watson- deducing your profession:wink:
I understood.:wink:

Last edited:
Imaging includes Radiology. Ultrasound and MRI do not utilize radiation, so technically they don't fall in the category of radiology. That's why you'll see more 'Radiology' departments being called 'Imaging'. It's truly a fascinating field. We have our fingers in almost every medical specialty 'pie' that's out there. I also enjoyed a bit of Interventional Radiology in it's early stages. I almost specialized in angiography but the advent of CT diverted my attentions. The technological advancements in that field have been incredible to observe! We went from doing head scans (two contiguous 5mm axial slices - considered VERY high resolution at that time) in 5 minutes, to total body scans (sixteen 3mm helical [overlapping] slices)in LESS THAN A SECOND! There are also .5 - 1mm slice capabilities on most scanners. Computer reconstruction of these images used to take up to 5 minutes. Now they are nearly instantaneous, with sagittal and coronal reconstructions almost as fast. Different algorithms can be applied to the images to enhance things like boney trebeculae and lung parenchyma. And those 3D 'Fly By' virtual bronchoscopies and colonoscopies - WOW! CT has taken over a lot of the angio exams and almost all pulmonary embolism evaluations. Interventional medicine is a big part of most CT suites, as well. It's a wonderful blend of medicine and computer technology.

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. I don't know if you are also familiar with Southern California, but if so, Do you have any recommendations of where I could go to do some shadowing? I have to do that as part of my application process, and I'd like to shadow a radiologist. I'm in OC, but I can commute as far as LA or Sand Diego if necessary.

PS. You guys must have a firewall, because you two never show up as "online":wink:

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. I don't know if you are also familiar with Southern California, but if so, Do you have any recommendations of where I could go to do some shadowing? I have to do that as part of my application process, and I'd like to shadow a radiologist. I'm in OC, but I can commute as far as LA or Sand Diego if necessary.

PS. You guys must have a firewall, because you two never show up as "online":wink:

I know So. Cal. very well. I did mobile CT all over the place, from OC to the SF Valley, but that was many years ago, so all of my contacts have moved away or just plain fell of the earth. Both Ivan and I were born and raised down thatta way and still have much family there. Shadowing? Probably the best place to START would be a free-standing Imaging Clinic. Choose one that looks like there is a lot of money behind it. That's probably where you'll find the best equipment and most progressive Rads. If they have a contract with a local hospital to read their films, all the better. Then you have a choice of clinic or hospital procedures. (I can't remember if you are IN med. school yet. Isn't there a 'shadowing' program in your med. school curriculum where they set all this up for you?) If you are on friendly terms with any MD's, they can probably help you get your foot in the door. Any of the larger Medical Centers will be the place for the most interesting studies and diverse pathologies. USC, UCLA, Cedars, even (or especially) MLK (for trauma medicine)... If you have a chance to shadow any of those, GRAB IT! Even VA hospitals can be very good. I've scanned them all! Remind me to tell you about the guy at MLK (on PCP) and the I-beam sometime. Not right now! I need to go eat!:smile:

GOOD LUCK! Let me know how it's going!

Actually, I meant vasectomy reversals have a 40 -50 % success rate of fertility afterwards. 95 % depending on specialty centers, but on average, 40-50%
http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gc=28 [Broken]!gid6=3709

Just an overview

Tubal ligation reversal's success rate depends on the matter the tubes were ligated...electrocauterization or mechanical occlussion. The latter can have up to 70% success rate in healthy women under 35, but it is an extensive surgery and women have to stay three days (unpaid by insurance) in the hospital. Another reason to snip those vas deferens!

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm,

I have a question about Breast enlargement surgery... are the surgeons female?