Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Vector calculus question

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Hi,
Let f(t) be a differentiable curve such that $f(t)\not= 0$ for all t. How to show that $\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{f(t)}{||f(t)||}\right)=\frac{f(t)\times(f'(t)\times f(t))}{||f(t)||^3}\tag{1}$

My attempt:
$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{||f(t)||}\right)*f(t)+\frac{1}{||f(t)||}*\frac{d}{dt}(f(t))$

$\frac{||f(t)||}{f'(t)\cdot f(t)}*f(t) +\frac{1}{||f(t)||}*\frac{d}{dt}(f(t))$

I want to know whether my last step is correct or wrong.If wrong , how and where to go from here to get R.H.S.of (1)? If yes how to proceed further to get R.H.S.of (1)?

GJA

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 16, 2013
Hi Dhamnekar,

You have a nice idea in your attempt. There is an error in the first term on your second line. You either need to apply the quotient rule to $1/\|f(t)\|$ or the chain rule to $(\|f(t)\|)^{-1}.$ Whichever method you choose, you will see that you get something similar to, but different from, what you have now.

I know you can do this, so I want to keep my hints to a minimum, at least initially. Of course, if you have more questions, I'm more than happy to help.

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Hi Dhamnekar,

You have a nice idea in your attempt. There is an error in the first term on your second line. You either need to apply the quotient rule to $1/\|f(t)\|$ or the chain rule to $(\|f(t)\|)^{-1}.$ Whichever method you choose, you will see that you get something similar to, but different from, what you have now.

I know you can do this, so I want to keep my hints to a minimum, at least initially. Of course, if you have more questions, I'm more than happy to help.
Hi GJA,

If I have understood your reply correctly, then the last step in the original question is $-\frac{f(t)}{||f(t)||^2}+\frac{f'(t)}{||f(t)||}$. Now where to go from here to get R.H.S of (1)?

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Hi,
I got the answer. :)

Reactions: GJA

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Continuing this exercise, assume that f'(t) and f''(t) are not parallel. Then $T'(t)\not=0$ so we can define unit principal normal vector N by
$$N(t)=\frac{T'(t)}{||T'(t)||}$$

Now how to show that $$N(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times (f''(t)\times f'(t))}{||f'(t)||*(||f''(t)\times f'(t)||)}$$

Continuing this execise we can define unit binormal vector B $$B(t)=T(t)\times N(t)$$ where $$T(t)=\frac{f'(t)}{||f'(t)||}$$. Note: We have already defined T'(t).
Now how to show that $$B(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times f''(t)}{||f'(t)\times f''(t)||}$$
I want to continue this exercise with one more question related to this question. How does the vectors T(t), N(t), B(t)form a right-handed system of mutually perpendicular unit vectors (called orthonormal vectors) at each point on the curve f(t)? In the answer to this question, I want to clear explanation about Osculating plane, Normal plane and Rectifying plane.:)

Last edited:

Dhamnekar Winod

Nov 17, 2018
Continuing this exercise, assume that f'(t) and f''(t) are not parallel. Then $T'(t)\not=0$ so we can define unit principal normal vector N by
$$N(t)=\frac{T'(t)}{||T'(t)||}$$

Now how to show that $$N(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times (f''(t)\times f'(t))}{||f'(t)||*(||f''(t)\times f'(t)||)}$$

Continuing this execise we can define unit binormal vector B $$B(t)=T(t)\times N(t)$$ where $$T(t)=\frac{f'(t)}{||f'(t)||}$$. Note: We have already defined T'(t).
Now how to show that $$B(t)=\frac{f'(t)\times f''(t)}{||f'(t)\times f''(t)||}$$
I want to continue this exercise with one more question related to this question. How does the vectors T(t), N(t), B(t)form a right-handed system of mutually perpendicular unit vectors (called orthonormal vectors) at each point on the curve f(t)? In the answer to this question, I want to clear explanation about Osculating plane, Normal plane and Rectifying plane.:)
This post #6 requires to be deleted under this original thread "Vector calculus question".

Last edited: