Vector calculus identities and maxwell equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the identity \nabla\times\nabla\phi = 0 and its relationship to Maxwell's equations. The problem of \textbf{E} = -\nabla\phi not fitting with Maxwell's equations is solved by considering the field \vec{E}+\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t} which is irrotational and therefore conservative. This leads to a more general definition of the potential for the electric field as \vec{E}=-\nabla\phi-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}.
Reloaded47
so we have the identity
[itex]\nabla\times\nabla\phi = 0[/itex]

and from Maxwell's equations we have
[itex]\nabla\times \textbf{E} = -\frac{d\textbf{B}}{dt}[/itex]

But we also have that
[itex]\textbf{E} = -\nabla\phi[/itex]

So the problem I'm having is this
[itex]-\textbf{E} = \nabla\phi[/itex]

which i substitute into the identity
[itex]\nabla\times -\textbf{E} = - ( \nabla\times\textbf{E} ) = 0[/itex]

But this should be
[itex]\nabla\times - \textbf{E} = \frac{d\textbf{B}}{dt}[/itex]
according to maxwell's equations, not zero
which is why I am getting confused

i think there is a good chance I've done somehing silly, i just need someone to point it out

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind i figured it out

[itex]\textbf{E} = - \nabla\phi - \frac{d\textbf{A}}{dt}[/itex]

where

[itex]\textbf{B} = \nabla\times\textbf{A}[/itex]

Yours is a good question. The fact is that you define a potential [itex]\phi[/itex] if the field Eis conservative. But a field is conservative if its rotor is zero (irrotational).

This means that considering Maxwell's equation [itex]\nabla \cross \vec{E}=-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}[/itex], you can argue that IF [itex]-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}=0[/itex] then you can define [itex]\phi\backepsilon' \vec{E}=-\nabla\phi[/itex].

However, if you define [itex]\vec{B}=\nabla\cross\vec{A}[/itex], you could write [itex]\nabla \cross \vec{E}=-\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\nabla\cross\vec{A}\Rightarrow \nabla\cross\{\vec{E}+\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}\}=0[/itex] so that the field [itex]\vec{E}+\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}[/itex] is irrotational, then conservative, so that [itex]\vec{E}+\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}=-\nabla\phi\Rightarrow\vec{E}=-\nabla\phi-\frac{\partial\vec{A}}{\partial t}[/itex]

This is a more general definition of the potential of the electric field that fits with Maxwell's equations. However, there is a term missing in my last expression related to a gauge transformation, but since it is a term related to the frame of reference, setting proper condition it can be put to zero.

Related to Vector calculus identities and maxwell equations

1. What are the key vector calculus identities and their significance in Maxwell's equations?

The key vector calculus identities used in Maxwell's equations are the curl, divergence, and gradient. The curl represents the rotational behavior of a vector field, while the divergence represents the expansion or contraction of a vector field. The gradient represents the change in a scalar field in different directions. These identities are used to formulate the Maxwell equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

2. How are vector calculus identities applied in solving problems related to Maxwell's equations?

Vector calculus identities are used to manipulate and simplify equations in Maxwell's equations. For example, the curl and divergence identities can be applied to the electric and magnetic fields to obtain simplified forms of the equations. These identities also help to understand the physical significance of the equations and how the different terms are related.

3. Can you explain the relationship between Maxwell's equations and the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Maxwell's equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space and time. When solved in the presence of a time-varying source, these equations give rise to electromagnetic waves, which are self-propagating disturbances in the electric and magnetic fields. The properties of these waves, such as their speed, polarization, and wavelength, are determined by the parameters in Maxwell's equations.

4. How do the vector calculus identities aid in understanding the laws of conservation in electromagnetism?

The vector calculus identities are essential in understanding the laws of conservation in electromagnetism. For instance, the divergence identity is used to derive the continuity equation, which describes the conservation of charge. The curl identity is used to derive Ampere's law, which describes the conservation of current. These identities help to understand how the different quantities in electromagnetism are conserved.

5. What are the practical applications of Maxwell's equations and vector calculus identities?

The practical applications of Maxwell's equations and vector calculus identities are numerous. They are used extensively in the design and analysis of electrical and electronic systems, such as antennas, circuits, and communication devices. These equations also play a crucial role in fields such as optics, plasma physics, and astrophysics. Additionally, the vector calculus identities are widely used in other areas of physics, engineering, and mathematics.