Troubleshooting a Newly Built PC: No Display

In summary, the computer is not starting because of a problem with the graphics card, but the fan is working. The problem may be with the memory, as the computer has been trying to use a memory slot that is not available.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i have finished building pc and spent two days attempting
to sort out this problem, when i start pc fans work i get
a post beep "more like a click", but nothing on monitor,
i don't get error beeps, i have reseated the graphics card,
checked all connections, the mobo led lights up ok, i have
swapped memory slots, when i do this i get error beep
so i guess mb is working, the dvd light comes on .
i only have monitor key board plugged in.
i have asus a7n8x-x mb
2 sticks 512mb pc2100 266ddr dim mem
amd k7 athlon xp 2500 plus 333 fsb
256mb galaxy fx5200 8x agp tv out dvi
can anyone help please.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I would disconnect all nonessential components and then look to see whether the monitor displays anything as the computer runs through the POST. You need to see something here before adding other peripherals, and adding those items one at a time can often locate the component that is introducing problems. Insure you have any necessary jumper connections set to their proper positions on the motherboard (CMOS clearing, etc.) then give it another try. If you are able to see the POST then you should be able to enter the BIOS and make other adjustments as needed.

Good luck

Thanks BoulderHead,
i have disconected hard drive, flopy and dvd, so all
i have now is graphics card, keyboard and monitor
pluged in, now "sometimes", when i power up i get
long regular beep, "missing memmory", i have swaped
memmory from slot 1 and 3 to 1 and 2 but it still the
same, i have checked jumpers and all are on default,
the only one that seems to matter is the cemos,
im not sure about cpu i have a choise of fsb 200
or 400/333/266.

i have just cheked 400/333/266 is the setting for that jumper,
now I am lost.

Have you tried to boot using only one of the memory sticks?
I would imagine slot 1 is where it would go, and I would try first one stick, then the other.

[edit]
400/333/266 is the choice to select for fsb speed, as your memory will be running at 266MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i have tried slot 1 and slot 3 and get the same beep code
as this board is dule channel ,"supposedly", i guess i have to have
2 slots filled ,1 and 3 are suggested at some web sites, "its not
in the manual", thing i don't understand is why its only sometimes
i get this warning.

No, I doubt that two sticks are required to operate with. There may be a setting in the BIOS to enable the Dual-Channel feature, I dunno. What I'm suggesting is to attempt starting the system using only one stick (inserted into channel 1) and if it doesn't help to turn off the power, swap sticks, and try it again.
My thinking is two-fold; rule out the possibility one of the sticks is defective, and rule out the possibility of some BIOS setting reacting negatively to having both sticks inserted at the same time.

Also, I have seen a brand new video card (ATI) not work with one motherboard, yet work fine with another. There were no setting to be adjusted anywhere that would make the system work. That, combined with other experiences leads me to conclude that video cards are fickle, and not to be automatically ruled out as a source of trouble. If you have another card, even an old 1MB card, I'd give it a try.

just tried both sticks in slot 1 and its still the same
i cheked to see what happens starting with all slots
empty and i get imediate warning, so i guess its a
dirty rotten low down fickle video card, and i dont
have a replacement to try, oh well

Sorry I don't know of anything else to suggest, but perhaps another member can.

Good luck

wolram said:
just tried both sticks in slot 1 and its still the same
i cheked to see what happens starting with all slots
empty and i get imediate warning, so i guess its a
dirty rotten low down fickle video card, and i dont
have a replacement to try, oh well

When you think it's the vid card, it probably is, but it could also be something in the motherboard on the vid card slot, or the monitor.

Oh, do you have on-board video, and if so, do you have it disabled properly?

Njorl

Hi Njorl.
no this board has no "onboard ", graphics, i am swapping
the monitor between this pc and my new one so i know
it works, the fan is working on the vid card but i dont
suppose that means much, since i disconnected all
but KB,Monitor and graphics card i haven't had a post
tone, this is confusing me, as i don't know if graphics
card can cause pc not to post, or even if the noise
i get is a post tone, its more of a melodious click
whereas error tones are a clear note.

Thanks for your help BoulderHead, i did expect problems
before i started this build, having read many horror stories
but it will be solved eventualy.

You're welcome. Something that came to mind is that I have seen more than just one or two new motherboards give problems to get going. Sometimes I could get a system up by disconnecting the power cord to the supply (because modern power supplies continue to output +5V even when the computer is ostensibly turned off), then removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. This is a sure way to clear the CMOS settings back to factory defaults. Following that, put back the battery and power cord where they belong and try once more to boot the computer using only one of the memory sticks.

If that doesn't work, I'd be thinking real hard about getting my hands on another video card.

OK i have tried everything, so its a replacement vid card
i can get a G force one for a reasonable price, no tv out
but what the heck who watches tv, and my wallet is
getting anorexic thanks for help.

1. Why is my newly built PC not displaying anything on the monitor?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. First, make sure that all necessary components, such as the CPU, RAM, and graphics card, are properly installed and secured. Next, check that all cables, including the power and video cables, are connected securely. Also, ensure that the monitor is set to the correct input source. If all of these are in order, it could be a problem with the graphics card or the motherboard.

2. What should I do if my PC turns on, but there is no display?

If your PC turns on but there is no display, it could be due to a faulty graphics card or a compatibility issue between the graphics card and the motherboard. Make sure that the graphics card is properly seated and connected to the power supply. If the issue persists, try removing the graphics card and using the integrated graphics (if available) or a different graphics card to see if that solves the problem.

3. How can I troubleshoot if my PC is not displaying anything after installing new hardware?

If you have recently installed new hardware, such as a graphics card or RAM, and your PC is not displaying anything, it is possible that the hardware is not compatible with your motherboard. Check the specifications of your motherboard to ensure that the new hardware is supported. Also, double-check that the new hardware is properly installed and connected.

4. What should I do if my PC is displaying a blank screen?

If your PC is displaying a blank screen, it could be due to a problem with the monitor or the graphics card. Try connecting the monitor to a different device to see if it works. If it does, then the issue is likely with the graphics card. You can try reseating the graphics card or using a different graphics card to troubleshoot the issue.

5. Why is my PC not displaying anything after a power outage or surge?

If your PC is not displaying anything after a power outage or surge, it could be due to a damaged power supply, graphics card, or motherboard. Check all connections and replace any damaged components. It is also a good idea to invest in a surge protector to prevent any future damage from power surges.