Vector Analysis: Show x,y in Vn can be Separated into y┴ & y//

In summary, we are given x and y in Vn, where x is not equal to zero, and we need to show that there exist vectors y┴ and y// in Vn such that y=y┴ + y//, y// is parallel to x, and y┴ is perpendicular to x. We can calculate the components of y along y┴ and y//, and take y// to be k times x, where k is equal to (x.y/x^2). With this, we can show that y=y┴ + y// and that y// is parallel to x.
dpa

Homework Statement

Let x,y is in Vn, such that x is not equal to zero.
Show that you can find vectors y and y// is in Vn such that y=y + y// and y// is parallel to x and y is perpendicular to x.

Homework Equations

x//y => x=ky
x.y=0 if x┴y

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the components of y along y and y// and showed that the synthesis of these gives y. I was adviced to use x as well. So I need different method.

By supposing y//=kx,
y=y-y//
we write,
kx.(y-y//)=0
and I was asked to find k and show,y=y + y//. I have no idea how to proceed after the above line.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to project a vector onto another vector?

I was suggested not to use vector projections that are in trigonometric forms.
As for the y||=(x.y/x^2).x form,
I know that what I can do is find
y||=(y.kx/(kx)^2).kx [sorry, k is not bold here]
and yperp.=y-xk.,
I have no idea hence forth.

dpa said:
I was suggested not to use vector projections that are in trigonometric forms.
As for the y||=(x.y/x^2).x form,
This is what I meant by vector projection. In fact, you can take k = (x.y/x^2), can't you?

Related to Vector Analysis: Show x,y in Vn can be Separated into y┴ & y//

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is the mathematical study of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the use of mathematical operations and concepts to analyze and manipulate vectors in various applications.

2. How can x and y in Vn be separated into y┴ and y//?

This separation is based on the fundamental property of vectors, which states that any vector can be represented as the sum of two mutually perpendicular vectors. Therefore, x and y can be separated into y┴ and y// by decomposing y into components that are perpendicular (y┴) and parallel (y//) to x.

3. What is the significance of separating vectors into y┴ and y//?

Separating vectors into perpendicular and parallel components allows for a more comprehensive understanding of vector operations and applications. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to visualize and analyze vector quantities.

4. How is vector analysis used in science?

Vector analysis is used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to analyze and describe physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid mechanics, and many other areas of science.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis has numerous applications in everyday life, such as in navigation systems, computer graphics, and video game design. It is also used in the design of structures and machines, as well as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents. Additionally, vector analysis plays a crucial role in the understanding of natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and celestial bodies.