Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

vB -> XF Cosmetic and smaller issues thread

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

If you have a smaller observation you'd like to share that isn't critical right now, please still share. We want to hear from you! These can go in this thread though while we work on more urgent things. We will still note all of your posts though and take them seriously. Thank you for your help! :)

Running list of issues(will strikethrough as they clear):
  1. Just a cosmetic change, which probably has been mentioned, is the "Forums, What's new..." bar which follows you as you scroll down the page. The transition is a bit clunky and even in the static position (when the user is at the very top of the page) it looks wonky :). e.g. the Forum tab has a square bottom edge which meets with the rounded top left edge of the page. I'm not sure how practical it is to have the bar follow you around either, but I'd need to browse around more.
    @Joppy here you go, didn't disappear :)

MountEvariste

Jun 29, 2017
  • There's a clash between $\LaTeX$ and emojis. For example, $f\left(n\right)$ loads as $f(n)$.
  • Clicking on a thread, just the title loads at first - making it appear like the thread doesn't exist at all.
    I've realised you've to wait for a few more seconds for the main post to show up.

MarkFL

Pessimist Singularitarian
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
  • There's a clash between $\LaTeX$ and emojis. For example, $f\left(n\right)$ loads as $f(n)$.
  • Clicking on a thread, just the title loads at first - making it appear like the thread doesn't exist at all.
    I've realised you've to wait for a few more seconds for the main post to show up.
Thanks! I've changed the text replacement for the thumbs up and thumbs down smileys. Off the top of my head, I don't know what can be done about the other cited issue. :)

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
I've noticed also that the older emoji's aren't around anymore? Or at least on older threads one might see their tags only, "[Smile]" or something.

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
I've noticed also that the older emoji's aren't around anymore? Or at least on older threads one might see their tags only, "[Smile]" or something.
I just added those back yesterday. You will find them now when you click the smiley button in the editor. I had to guess at the text replacements, so if you find what you think is a smiley in an older thread that's not rendering, please let me know and I will fix it. (Wave)

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
@Jameson - you might want to check this thread:

I don't know if this applies to us or not.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
When creating a new thread, the "Post Thread" and "Preview" options snap to the bottom of the window. This doesn't seem very practical, especially when there is another "Preview" option at the bottom of the text box (which is quite practical).

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
When creating a new thread, the "Post Thread" and "Preview" options snap to the bottom of the window. This doesn't seem very practical, especially when there is another "Preview" option at the bottom of the text box (which is quite practical).
I just tested this, and I'm getting the same behavior from both preview buttons. I'm using Firefox. What browser are you using?

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
I just tested this, and I'm getting the same behavior from both preview buttons. I'm using Firefox. What browser are you using?
Also Firefox. I wasn't clear I think. It's just a picky cosmetic point :).

Both preview buttons give the same behavior, but does there need to be two of them was my question. If editing on a computer with 100% page zoom, it's a very short scroll to the bottom of the page.

Joppy

MHB Math Helper
Mar 17, 2016
on a tablet the brown footer is a huge retangle with ears on the sides
terrifying to stare at
Tis' true, though I can't confirm it to be terrifying :D. Checked on Firefox and Safari (phone, not tablet). Source.

Theia

Mar 30, 2016
in some subspace
I'm currently using mainly a phone to browse MHB. Usually long mathematical expressions create a slider that I can move to see the whole expression - if not completely at once but in the text area. You can see this correct behaviour e.g. in this thread.

However, if the mathematical content is spoilered, it doesn't create a slider but extends the right side of the page. Often seen in the puzzle section, most likely in POTW sections too. Screenshot here, spoilered content though to keep solution secret for those who don't wish to see anything.sketch1589368032454.png

Greg Bernhardt

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2012
Usually long mathematical expressions create a slider that I can move to see the whole expression - if not completely at once but in the text area. Y
There should be a "line wrap" attribute for mathjax @MarkFL

Last edited:

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
The best I can tell,, it's not the spoilers but the difference between inline and block LaTeX. The "linebreak" attribute doesn't work well on small screens with XenForo for some reason and has had me stumped for quite a while.

Here's an inline math example:

\(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1\)

And a displaymath example:

\[1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1\]

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
@MarkFL in the above post I don’t see any issues of wrapping. Any advice to reproduce the bug?

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
@MarkFL in the above post I don’t see any issues of wrapping. Any advice to reproduce the bug?
If you are on a PC, try shrinking your browser window's width to simulate the small screen of a mobile device.

Theia

Mar 30, 2016
in some subspace
Cosmetic problem number 2

In the bottom edge there are overlay buttons to go up and down on the current forum page. However, sometimes those buttons make life somewhat hard. For example, how am I supposed to tap the buttons/links on the yellow bar under the overlay buttons? :LOL:
Screenshot_20200518-114157_Samsung Internet.jpg

MarkFL

Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
St. Augustine, FL.
Cosmetic problem number 2

In the bottom edge there are overlay buttons to go up and down on the current forum page. However, sometimes those buttons make life somewhat hard. For example, how am I supposed to tap the buttons/links on the yellow bar under the overlay buttons? :LOL:
View attachment 10203
Try turning your phone so that your screen is wider than it is tall. That may be enough to make the scroll buttons shrink to the RHS of the screen.