Vaulters pole breaks into three pieces

• Thread starter dgwsoft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of a pole breaking into three pieces during a pole vault event at the 2012 Olympic Games in London. The video cannot be viewed in the US due to regional restrictions, but alternative links are provided. The topic of the conversation is compared to the Feynman spaghetti problem.
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea, I can't see anything but one blurry picture of the pole. Did it break into 3 pieces?

It is a video. Maybe you do not have the right plug-in?

The pole is shown breaking into three pieces, in slow motion, from several angles.

It says I can't watch it because of the region I live in. Guess we can't watch it here in the U.S.

Pole breaks - US version

Drakkith said:
It says I can't watch it because of the region I live in. Guess we can't watch it here in the U.S.

Sorry, that must be because it is on the BBC.

It must be somewhere on the interweb you can see it. The competitor is Lazaro Borges, at the Olympic Games in London, 8 August 2012.

Try these:

http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/...s-pole-vault-snaps-in-qualifying-8022204.html

http://sport.uk.msn.com/olympics-20...=8b9bb0c3-336a-4895-879e-68acdcf210cd&_nwpt=1

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like it could be the same effect, but I'm not sure.

Related to Vaulters pole breaks into three pieces

What causes a vaulter's pole to break?

There are several factors that can cause a vaulter's pole to break, including the age and condition of the pole, the weight and strength of the vaulter, and the technique used during the vault. A pole that is too old and worn out is more likely to break, as well as a pole that is too stiff or too flexible for the vaulter's weight and strength. Poor technique, such as planting the pole too forcefully or at the wrong angle, can also put excessive stress on the pole and cause it to break.

Can a vaulter get injured if their pole breaks?

Yes, a vaulter can potentially get injured if their pole breaks during a vault. The sudden loss of support can cause the vaulter to fall awkwardly and sustain injuries to their arms, shoulders, back, or head. However, most pole breaks happen near the bottom of the pole, which is less likely to cause serious injury compared to a break in the middle or top of the pole.

How often do vaulter's poles break?

The frequency of pole breaks varies depending on several factors, including the level of competition and the quality of the poles being used. In high-level competitions, where vaulter's are using the most advanced and expensive poles, pole breaks are relatively rare. However, in lower-level competitions or during practice sessions, pole breaks can happen more frequently. On average, a pole may break once every few hundred jumps.

What should a vaulter do if their pole breaks?

If a vaulter's pole breaks during a vault, they should immediately let go of the remaining pieces and try to land safely. Most vaulters are trained to instinctively let go of the pole if it breaks. After the incident, the vaulter should consult with their coach and assess any potential injuries before deciding whether to continue competing or practicing.

What can be done to prevent a vaulter's pole from breaking?

To prevent a vaulter's pole from breaking, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the poles. This includes checking for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or splinters, and replacing old or damaged poles. It is also important for the vaulter to use the correct pole for their weight and strength, as well as to use proper technique during the vault. Additionally, using safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet and using a mat, can help minimize the risk of injury in case of a pole break.