Varying the action with respect to metric

• Thread starter the_doors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the variation of an action with respect to the metric tensor and a scalar field, given a unit timelike four-velocity and additional terms. The variation of the action with respect to the metric tensor is discussed, along with equations for the variation of Brans-Dicke and its field equations. The concept of adding tensors with different free indices is also mentioned.
the_doors

Homework Statement

i want to find the variation of this action with respect to ## g^{\mu\nu}## , where ##N_\mu(x^\nu)## is unit time like four velocity and ##\phi## is scalar field.
##I_{total}=I_{BD}+I_{N}##
##
I_{BD}=\frac{1}{16\pi}\int dx^4\sqrt{g}\left\{\phi R-\frac{\omega}{\phi}g^{\mu\nu}\nabla_{\mu}\phi\nabla_{\nu}\phi\right\}##
##
I_N=\frac{1}{16\pi}\int
dx^4\sqrt{g}\{\zeta(x^{\nu})(g^{\mu\nu}N_{\mu}N_{\nu}+1)+2\phi F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-\phi N_\mu
N^{\nu}(2F^{\mu\lambda}\Omega_{\nu\lambda}+
F^{\mu\lambda}F_{\nu\lambda}+\Omega^{\mu\lambda}\Omega_{\nu\lambda}-2R_{\mu}^{\nu}+\frac{2\omega}{\phi^2}\nabla_{\mu}\phi\nabla^{\nu}\phi)\}##
where
##F_{\mu\nu}=2(\nabla_{\mu}N_{\nu}-\nabla_{\nu}N_{\mu})##
##\Omega_{\mu\nu}=2(\nabla_{\mu}N_{\nu}+\nabla_{\nu}N_{\mu})##

Homework Equations

i know the variation of Brans-Dicke and its field equations , but i have no idea about ##\delta I_N## with respect to ## \delta g^{\mu\nu}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##\delta \sqrt{-g}=\frac{-1}{2}\sqrt{-g} g_{\mu\nu} \delta g^{\mu\nu}##
and ##\delta R=(R_{\mu\nu}+g_{\mu\nu}\Box-\nabla_\mu \nabla_\nu)\delta g^{\mu\nu}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you enter the problem exactly as stated? Your expression is adding terms with different free indices.

Orodruin said:
Did you enter the problem exactly as stated? Your expression is adding terms with different free indices.
No, this is part of action which i have problem with that

The point is that your expression, as it stands, makes absolutely no sense. You cannot add tensors of different type ...

now i will edit post with the entire action.

Related to Varying the action with respect to metric

1. What does it mean to vary the action with respect to metric?

Varying the action with respect to metric is a mathematical process used in the field of general relativity to determine the equations of motion for a given system. It involves manipulating the equations of the action, which is a quantity that describes the dynamics of a physical system, in order to find the equations of motion for the metric, which is a mathematical object used to describe the curvature of spacetime.

2. Why is varying the action with respect to metric important?

Varying the action with respect to metric is important because it allows us to derive the equations of motion for a system in the context of general relativity. This is crucial for understanding the behavior of objects in the universe, from the motion of planets and stars to the evolution of the entire universe itself.

3. How is varying the action with respect to metric related to Einstein's field equations?

Einstein's field equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. These equations can be derived by varying the action with respect to metric, which allows us to understand how the presence of matter and energy affects the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can varying the action with respect to metric be applied to other fields of physics?

Yes, varying the action with respect to metric is a general mathematical technique that can be applied to other fields of physics beyond general relativity. It is commonly used in quantum field theory and particle physics to determine the equations of motion for different physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to varying the action with respect to metric?

One limitation of varying the action with respect to metric is that it assumes a classical, deterministic view of the universe. This means that it does not take into account quantum effects, which are important for understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. Additionally, the technique may not be applicable in cases where the system being studied is extremely complex or has a high degree of uncertainty.