Various Problems for Precalculus Exam, Unit 2

In summary, the homework statement is that the equation for x is x2*ex+x*ex-ex=0. Factored equation so ex(x2+x-1), then plugged into quadratic equation so \frac{-1+-\sqrt{1^{2}-4*1*-1}}{2*1} which equals \frac{-1+-\sqrt{5}}{2}. However, I'm wondering exactly what to do with the initial ex that I factored out.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

9.e. Solve the equation for x: x2*ex+x*ex-ex=0

19. If logxa=0.578 and logay=1.161, what is the value of logxy?

26. Use the fact that logb4=x and logb7=y to evaluate logb(64/49).

Homework Equations

9.e. x2*ex+x*ex-ex=0

19. logxa=0.578 and logay=1.161

26. logxa=0.578 and logay=1.161

The Attempt at a Solution

9.e. Factored equation so ex(x2+x-1), then plugged into quadratic equation so [tex]\frac{-1+-\sqrt{1^{2}-4*1*-1}}{2*1}[/tex] which equals [tex]\frac{-1+-\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]. However, I'm wondering exactly what to do with the initial ex that I factored out - the answer key we were provided with does not include it at all, but I assumed that we would pin it in front of the equation so that our final answer is ex*[tex]\frac{-1+-\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex].

19. I remember doing these and that the solution is fairly obvious, I just forget what it is.

26. Sorry, this is one where I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, think zero product property. You've already found two values that will yield a zero. Now, when does e^x equal 0?

The solution to the second problem can be obtained by noting a = x^0.578 and y = a^1.161

Assuming the desired answer need be expressed in terms of x and y, use the properties alog(x) = log(x^a), log(a/b) = log(a) - log(b).

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, so I was fairly accurate with #9.

For #19, I understand that - from the revised equations, how are we supposed to connect them into a single solution?

#26 is still up for grabs ;-)

Yeah, since e^x is never zero, you already had the two solutions.

For 19 try a simple substitution.

Alright, 64 = 4^3 and 49 = 7^2. Therefore, log(64) = 3x and log(49) = 2y. Can you take it from there?

The first one is correct since ex can never be zero. There are 2 solutions.

2nd one:

[tex]\frac{log_ay}{log_ax}=log_xy[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{log_ax}=0.578[/tex]

[tex]log_ax=\frac{1}{0.578}[/tex]

Now divide [itex]log_ay[/itex] with [itex]log_ax[/itex]

3nd one:

[tex]3log_b4=3x[/itex]

[tex]log_b64=3x[/itex]

[tex]2log_b7=2y[/itex]

[tex]log_b49=2y[/itex]

[tex]log_b(64/49)=log_b64-log_b49[/tex]

Now just substitute.

Regards.

Related to Various Problems for Precalculus Exam, Unit 2

1. What topics are covered in Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam?

Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam typically covers topics such as quadratic functions, polynomial functions, and rational functions. It may also include concepts such as graphing and solving equations, as well as transformations and operations on functions.

2. How can I prepare for Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam?

To prepare for Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam, it is important to review all the topics covered in class and in your textbook. Practice solving equations, graphing functions, and identifying key features of different types of functions. Additionally, seek out practice problems and quizzes online or in a study guide.

3. What is the best way to study for a Precalculus Exam?

The best way to study for a Precalculus Exam is to regularly attend class and actively participate in lectures and discussions. Take thorough notes and review them regularly. Additionally, practice solving problems and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

4. Are there any resources available for reviewing Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam?

Yes, there are many resources available for reviewing Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam. These include online practice quizzes, study guides, and review books. Your teacher or school may also have additional resources available for you to use.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a certain topic in Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam?

If you are struggling with a certain topic in Unit 2 of the Precalculus Exam, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Talk to your teacher for clarification or schedule a tutoring session. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for help, as this can lead to added stress and confusion during the exam.