Various chances of 5 players catching balls

In summary, there are 5 players and the chances of each individual player catching a ball are as follows: player 1: 13%, player 2: 16%, player 3: 14%, player 4: 15%, player 5: 18%. The chance of at least one player catching a ball is 56.20%, and the chance of no one catching a ball is 43.80%. The chance of two or more players catching a ball and the chance of only one player catching a ball can be calculated using the Kolmogorov Axioms, where P(A u B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A n B).
Back<2steps
There are 5 players and me.
If I throw numerous balls in the air and the chances of each individual player catching a ball is as follows:
player 1: 13%
player 2: 16%
player 3: 14%
player 4: 15%
player 5: 18%

Please show working:
1) What is the chance that at least one player catches a ball?
2) Chance that no one catches a ball?
3) Chance that two or more players catch a ball?
4) Chance that only one player catches a ball?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Back<2steps.

For the first one, if P1, P2, P3, P4, and P5 is probability of those catching a ball, then P(P1 v P2 v P3 v P4 v P5) is the probability of at least one catching a ball. Can you use the Kolmogorov Axioms to get this probability?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked up Kolmogorov Axioms, but I am unclear on what you are telling me. I would be grateful if you would show the working for me.

I am also unclear on what 'P' and 'v' is in 'P(P1 v P2 v P3 v P4 v P5)'.

Are you saying I should use P(AuB)=P(A)+P(B)-P(AnB) ?
I don't understand how to use this formula on more than 2 variables.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Appreciate any help.

Try doing 2) first; it's the easiest. You should then be able to answer 1) using your result from 2).

Was kind of hoping for a worked through example rather than advice as to which one to attempt first... :)

As you do not wish to answer for me, maybe you would be kind enough to tell me if the following is correct:
Here is my attempt at 2:
(1-0.13)*(1-0.16)*(1-0.14)*(1-0.15)*(1-0.18) = 43% ??
Therefore 1)=57%

??

Thanks

Back<2steps said:
Was kind of hoping for a worked through example rather than advice as to which one to attempt first... :)

As you do not wish to answer for me, maybe you would be kind enough to tell me if the following is correct:
Here is my attempt at 2:
(1-0.13)*(1-0.16)*(1-0.14)*(1-0.15)*(1-0.18) = 43% ??
Therefore 1)=57%

??

Thanks

Think about this: Instead, we have two players and both of them have a 50% chance of catching the ball, so the chance of either of them catching it should be 75%, right? But if we used your method we get
(1-0.5)*(1-0.5) = 25%
But 25% is what is left over from the 75%, hence (this isn't a proof, but we know we're on the right track) 25% is the chance of neither player catching the ball. This is why awkward mentioned you should answer 2) first.

So if you haven't already been able to put these ideas together to answer 1), the answer to my question should be

1 - (1-0.5)*(1-0.5) = 75%

So this is correct for 'chance that no one catches ball':
((1-0.13)*(1-0.16)*(1-0.14)*(1-0.15)*(1-0.18)) = 43.80% ??

And Chance of at least one player catching ball = 1-((1-0.13)*(1-0.16)*(1-0.14)*(1-0.15)*(1-0.18)) = 56.20%Still have no clue how to begin on 3) Chance that two or more players catch a ball. & 4) Chance that only one player catches a ball?
Is this correct?
If so thank you very much.Still have no clue how to begin on 3) Chance that two or more players catch a ball, & 4) Chance that only one player catches a ball?

Last edited:

Related to Various chances of 5 players catching balls

1. What is the probability of all 5 players catching a ball at the same time?

The probability of all 5 players catching a ball at the same time depends on various factors such as the size and speed of the ball, the skill level of the players, and the distance between them. It is difficult to determine an exact probability without specific information about these factors.

2. Is the probability of each player catching a ball the same?

No, the probability of each player catching a ball may vary depending on their individual skill levels, positioning on the field, and other factors. Some players may have a higher probability of catching a ball compared to others.

3. How does the number of players affect the chances of catching a ball?

The number of players can affect the chances of catching a ball in various ways. If there are more players, the field may be more crowded and there may be a higher chance of interference or collisions. On the other hand, having more players can also increase the chances of catching a ball due to a larger coverage area.

4. Can the chances of catching a ball be improved through teamwork?

Yes, teamwork can play a significant role in improving the chances of catching a ball. By communicating and coordinating with each other, players can strategically position themselves and increase the chances of catching a ball.

5. Are there any techniques that can increase the chances of catching a ball?

Yes, there are various techniques that can increase the chances of catching a ball, such as keeping your eyes on the ball, using proper body positioning, and using your hands to guide the ball. Practice and experience can also play a role in improving a player's ability to catch a ball.