Variational Principle of 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses using a trial function to estimate the ground state energy of a central potential. The speaker explains the process of normalizing the trial wave function and finding the Hamiltonian. They encounter an issue with the potential energy, but receive assistance from another participant.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

Use the following trial function:
[itex] \Psi=e^{-(\alpha)r}[/itex]
to estimate the ground state energy of the central potential:
[itex]V(r)=(\frac{1}{2})m(\omega^{2})r^{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Normalizing the trial wave function (separating the radial and spherical part):
[itex]\int(A^{2})e^{-2(\alpha)r}r^{2}=1[/itex]
where the integral is from 0 to infinity and A is the normalization constant.
Knowing that the spherical normalization will give 4(pi), then the normalization constant is:
[itex] A=\sqrt{\frac{\alpha^{3}}{\pi}}[/itex]
Now finding the hamiltonian:
[itex] <H>=<V>+<T> [/itex]
I will start with <V>, since this is where I find my issue:
[itex]<V>=\int(A)e^{-(\alpha)r}(\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}r^{2})Ae^{-(\alpha)r}[/itex]
where the integral is from 0 to infinity.
What I obtain for <V> is:
[itex] <V>=\frac{1}{8\pi}m\omega^{2}[/itex]
which of course doesn't have units of energy...
Can someone point out where I went wrong please?

Physics news on Phys.org
<E>=∫ψ*Hψ dv/∫ψ*ψ dv,is the usual way of getting it.why is it bothering you it clearly has the units of energy.
Edit: I have not checked your calculation.

<V> does not have units of energy...
But thank you for showing me the integration, I did not use dV, which will cause many problems... thanks!

Related to Variational Principle of 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator

1. What is the variational principle of 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator?

The variational principle of 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator is a mathematical method used to find the approximate solutions to the Schrödinger equation for a three-dimensional harmonic oscillator. It states that the true energy of the system is always greater than or equal to the minimum value obtained from any trial wavefunction.

2. How is the variational principle applied to the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator?

To apply the variational principle to the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator, we first choose a trial wavefunction that depends on one or more parameters. Then, we vary these parameters to minimize the expectation value of the energy. The minimum energy obtained through this process is an upper bound on the true energy of the system.

3. What is the significance of the variational principle in quantum mechanics?

The variational principle is significant in quantum mechanics because it provides a way to approximate the energy of a system without solving the Schrödinger equation exactly. This is particularly useful for systems that are difficult to solve, such as the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator. The variational principle also allows us to improve our approximation by using more sophisticated trial wavefunctions.

4. Can the variational principle be extended to other systems besides the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator?

Yes, the variational principle can be extended to other quantum systems, including those with multiple particles, spin, and interactions between particles. However, the choice of trial wavefunction and the method of variation may differ depending on the system.

5. What are the limitations of the variational principle for the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator?

The variational principle has limitations in that it can only provide an upper bound on the true energy of the system. It also relies on the choice of trial wavefunction, which may not always be accurate. Additionally, the variational principle may not work well for highly excited states of the 3D symmetric harmonic oscillator, as the trial wavefunctions may not accurately capture the behavior of the system at those energy levels.