Variation with scalar field coupled to gravity in 2D

In summary, the two dimensional action S_k is defined by the integral of the two dimensional scalar curvature and the first term of the energy momentum tensor T_{\alpha\beta}^k can be understood as a variation from the product of the two derivatives of phi. However, the variation of the scalar curvature yields a surface term and it needs to be rewritten as a total derivative in order to derive the energy momentum tensor correctly.
ismaili
The two dimensional action is:
[tex]S_k = \int d^2\sigma\sqrt{h}\left(\partial_\alpha\phi\partial^\alpha\phi - \frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi\right)[/tex]
where [tex]k[/tex] is a constant, [tex]R^{(2)}[/tex] is the two dimensional scalar curvature. I'm trying to derive the following energy momentum tensor:
[tex]T_{\alpha\beta}^k = \partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi - \frac{1}{4}ik\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta\phi[/tex]
The first term can be understood as variation from [tex]\partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex], but I can't understand how the variation of [tex]\frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi[/tex] w.r.t. [tex]h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] yields [tex]\frac{1}{4}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta\phi[/tex]. There is one more thing that I'm confused, we didn't consider the variation of the volume factor [tex]\sqrt{h}[/tex]?! And, the variation of the scalar curvature yields the surface term in the usual four dimensional gravity, but here, it seems that we have to write [tex]R^{(2)} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta h^{\alpha\beta}[/tex], however, I didn't see the reason...
Is there anybody can solve this for me or can give me some hint of how to do it, many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
A:Let me give you some hints:The variation of $S_k$ must be a total derivative (Bianchi identity).Compute the variation of the Ricci scalar and the volume factor $\sqrt{h}$.Write down the Euler-Lagrange equations.Define the energy-momentum tensor as the variation of the action with respect to the metric.To answer your question, $\phi$ does not appear in the variation of $\sqrt{h}$, so it does not contribute to the energy-momentum tensor.

The variation of the action with respect to the metric tensor h^{\alpha\beta} can be expressed as:

\delta S_k = \int d^2\sigma \left[\frac{\delta S_k}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}\delta h^{\alpha\beta}\right]

To find the energy-momentum tensor, we need to calculate the functional derivative of the action with respect to the metric tensor:

\frac{\delta S_k}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \sqrt{h}\left(\partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi - \frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi\right) - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{h}k\phi\frac{\delta R^{(2)}}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}}

To find the second term, we can use the fact that the variation of the scalar curvature is given by:

\delta R^{(2)} = -\frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta h^{\alpha\beta}

Therefore, we can write the second term as:

-\frac{\delta R^{(2)}}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \frac{1}{4}\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta h^{\alpha\beta}

Substituting this into the expression for the functional derivative, we get:

\frac{\delta S_k}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \sqrt{h}\left(\partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi - \frac{i}{2}kR^{(2)}\phi\right) + \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{h}k\phi\partial_\alpha\partial_\beta h^{\alpha\beta}

Now, we can use the fact that the variation of the volume factor \sqrt{h} is given by:

\delta\sqrt{h} = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{h}h^{\alpha\beta}\delta h_{\alpha\beta}

Substituting this into the expression for the energy-momentum tensor, we get:

T_{\alpha\beta}^k = \frac{2}{\sqrt{h}}\frac{\delta S_k}{\delta h^{\alpha\beta}} = \partial_\alpha\phi\partial_\beta\phi -

Related to Variation with scalar field coupled to gravity in 2D

1. What is a scalar field in the context of gravity in 2D?

A scalar field refers to a physical quantity that has a single value at each point in space, such as temperature or density. In the context of gravity in 2D, it represents the strength of the gravitational force at each point in the two-dimensional space.

2. How does the scalar field affect gravity in 2D?

The scalar field is coupled to gravity in 2D, meaning that changes in the scalar field can affect the strength of the gravitational force. This can result in variations in the curvature of space-time, which ultimately affects the behavior of objects in the 2D space.

3. What is the significance of studying variation with scalar field coupled to gravity in 2D?

Studying this phenomenon can provide insights into the behavior of gravity in different dimensions, and can also have implications for theories such as string theory and cosmology. It can also help us understand the effects of scalar fields on gravitational interactions, which can have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and engineering.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of studying variation with scalar field coupled to gravity in 2D. For example, it can help in understanding the dynamics of black holes and other astronomical objects, as well as in developing new technologies for space travel and navigation.

5. Is there any experimental evidence for the existence of scalar fields in gravity?

There is currently no direct experimental evidence for the existence of scalar fields in gravity. However, there are several theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics and string theory, that incorporate scalar fields in their equations. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm the existence of scalar fields and their role in gravity.