Variation of Torriceli's theorem?

In summary, JorgeM is seeking help with understanding Torricelli's theorem and its application to different types of containers. They are specifically interested in a small container with a hole in the bottom and how the flow of fluid is affected in this scenario. They are also looking for resources to help them solve this problem. Another user suggests using the formula for volumetric flow rate and a mass balance to solve for the time needed to empty the container.
JorgeM
Hi there.
Everyone knows about Torricelli's theorem that says about , in a too big container (opened) the speed of the liquid is given by:

v=√(2gh)
This result is just for containers that have a hole in the side and the fluid goes out perpendicular to the gravity. And also this result is just for an specific period of time when the h is almost constant.

But, when I think about a little container (Where the variations of parameters can not be taken as zero) that has its hole in the bottom (Like a bottle of water almost cylindrical) parallel to the gravity, I would like to know how this is not constant and also how this goes out of the bottle. I get so confused with the thing I am supossed to solve (I imagine it is going to be a differential ecuation or something like that).

Do you know if someone has already solved it in this forum?

How is the flow in function of h,because if I Integer the flow as function of h for a period of time(Big enough not to consider h as constant),
I will know how much fluid has gone out in that period.
Anyways I can not figure out the solution and don't even know where to read for this topic.

If your could help me or say some books that could help to solve my problem.
Thanks.
JorgeM.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the height of water in the container can be considered constant you can still use torricelli's formula.

dRic2 said:
If the height of water in the container can be considered constant you can still use torricelli's formula.
I was thinking about an small container where the variations are not minimal and makes impossible to take Torricelli's theorem as true.

I would refer everything to the volumetric flow rate instead of the velocity. Assuming the fluid is incompressible then volumetric flow rate has to be constant because of conservation of mass.

Using Bernoulli:

##\frac {v_0^2} 2 + gh_0 = \frac {v_1^2} 2 + gh_1##

##\frac {v_1^2} 2 - \frac {v_0^2} 2 = g(h_0 - h_1)##

Then, remember the formula for the volumetric flow rate ##Q= v A## so ##v = Q/A##:

##\frac {Q^2} {2 A_1^2} - \frac {Q^2} {2A_0^2} = g(h_0 - h_1)##

##Q^2 \left( \frac 1 {2 A_1^2} - \frac 1 {2 A_0^2} \right ) = g(h_0 - h_1) ##

If you want to know the time needed to empty the bottle, I would suggest a mass balance:

##\frac {dm} {dt} = -\dot m_{out}##

it should give a simple differential equation.

That's my suggestion, hope it may help you.

Likes JorgeM

Related to Variation of Torriceli's theorem?

1. What is Torricelli's theorem?

Torricelli's theorem, also known as Torricelli's law, is a principle in fluid mechanics that relates the speed at which a liquid flows out of a small opening in a container to the height of the liquid above the opening.

2. What is the formula for Torricelli's theorem?

The formula for Torricelli's theorem is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid above the opening.

3. How is Torricelli's theorem derived?

Torricelli's theorem can be derived from the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. By equating the kinetic energy of the liquid at the opening with the potential energy of the liquid at the surface, the formula v = √(2gh) can be derived.

4. What are the assumptions behind Torricelli's theorem?

The main assumptions behind Torricelli's theorem are that the liquid is incompressible and the flow is steady and inviscid. It also assumes that the container is large compared to the size of the opening and that the liquid is not affected by external forces such as air resistance.

5. What are some real-life applications of Torricelli's theorem?

Torricelli's theorem has many practical applications, such as predicting the flow rate of water from a tap or a fountain, designing sprinkler systems, and calculating the speed of water flow in pipes. It is also used in the design of carburetors for engines and in the study of weather patterns.