Variation of scalar kinetic lagrangian

In summary, the goal of the conversation was to show that covariant derivatives integrate by parts in the same manner as ordinary partial derivatives. The covariant derivatives act on a complex scalar field and are defined using gauge group generators and a coupling constant. The conversation then discussed varying the scalar fields in a gauge-coupled scalar kinetic term and showed that the covariant derivatives can be integrated by parts in the same way as normal partial derivatives. The conversation ended with a question about the manipulation of indices, which the professor explained using the property of the metric tensor.
OneLastTry

Homework Statement

The goal of the question I'm being asked is to show that the covariant derivatives, [itex]D_{\mu}[/itex], "integrate by parts" in the same manner that the ordinary partial derivatives, [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] do.

More precisely, the covariant derivatives act on the complex scalar field [itex]\varphi_A[/itex] such that
[tex]
\begin{align}
D_{\mu} \varphi_A &= \partial_{\mu} \varphi_A - i g \varphi_A A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; B}_{\;A} \\
D_{\mu} \varphi^{*A} &= \partial_{\mu} \varphi^{*A} + ig \varphi^{*B} A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; A}_{\;B},
\end{align}
[/tex]
where T are the gauge group generators, g is the coupling constant and A is the gauge field.

I'm told to vary the scalar fields in the gauge-coupled scalar kinetic term, [itex] I = \int d^4 x \left[ -D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} D_{\mu} \varphi_A \right] [/itex] (subject to the usual fixing and fall-off conditions). Here's what the solutions say:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\delta I &= \int d^4 x \left[ -\delta (D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A})D_{\mu} \varphi_A - D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} \delta (D_{\mu} \varphi_A) \right] \\
&= \int d^4 x \left[ -(\partial_{\mu} \delta \varphi^{*A} + ig A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; A}_{\;B} \delta \varphi^{*B}) D^{\mu} \varphi_A - D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} (\partial_{\mu} \delta \varphi_{A} - ig A^i_{\mu} T^{i\;B}_{\;A} \delta \varphi_B) \right]
\end{align}
[/tex]

From there, the professor integrates the first and third terms by parts (using the boundary conditions to set the surface term to zero), relabels and uses the definition of the covariant derivatives to show that you can integrate the covariant derivatives by parts in the same way as normal partial derivatives:

[tex]
\delta I = \int d^4 x \left[ \delta \varphi^{*A} D_{\mu} D^{\mu} \varphi_A + \delta \varphi_A D_{\mu} D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} \right].
[/tex]

I understand all the parts except the bit that I'm sure someone will tell me is the most trivial :)
When varying the Lagrangian, why does
[tex]
\delta (D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A})D_{\mu} \varphi_A = (\partial_{\mu} \delta \varphi^{*A} + ig A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; A}_{\;B} \delta \varphi^{*B}) D^{\mu} \varphi_A?
[/tex]
The professor seems to have changed from upper to lower indices on the first part ( [itex] D^{\mu} \rightarrow \partial_{\mu} \dots + ig A^i_{\mu} \dots [/itex]) and from lower to upper on the second part ( [itex] D_{\mu} \varphi_A \rightarrow D^{\mu} \varphi_A[/itex] ).

I have a deep suspicion that I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see how those indices flipped. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equations directly relevant to the question are:D_{\mu} \varphi_A = \partial_{\mu} \varphi_A - i g \varphi_A A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; B}_{\;A}D_{\mu} \varphi^{*A} = \partial_{\mu} \varphi^{*A} + ig \varphi^{*B} A^i_{\mu} T^{i \; A}_{\;B},I = \int d^4 x \left[ -D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} D_{\mu} \varphi_A \right]\delta I = \int d^4 x \left[ -\delta (D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A})D_{\mu} \varphi_A - D^{\mu} \varphi^{*A} \delta (D_{\mu} \varphi_A) \right] The Attempt at a Solution I think that the professor is using the fact that raising and lowering indices with the metric tensor (in this case, the Minkowski tensor) doesn't change the components of the vector, so\partial_{\mu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} \partial^{\nu}and similarly for the gauge field.Is that correct?

Related to Variation of scalar kinetic lagrangian

What is a scalar kinetic Lagrangian?

A scalar kinetic Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a scalar field. It is used in theoretical physics to model the behavior of particles and fields in various physical systems.

How does the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian relate to the principle of least action?

The variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian is an essential component of the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a physical system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral. This principle is used to derive the equations of motion in classical mechanics and is also applied in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and field theory.

What is the importance of studying the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian?

Studying the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian allows scientists to understand the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their future states. It also provides a mathematical framework for analyzing and solving problems in various areas of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory.

How is the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian is used in practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and in the study of complex physical systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of control systems, such as in robotics and aerospace engineering.

Are there any limitations to the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian?

Like any mathematical model, the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian has its limitations. It may not accurately describe certain physical phenomena, and it is continually being refined and expanded upon to account for new discoveries and observations. Additionally, the equations derived from the variation of scalar kinetic Lagrangian may only provide an approximation of the true behavior of a system, depending on the level of complexity and accuracy of the model.