Variation of gravitation field strength?

In summary, the value of g at the equator is not exactly equal to the gravitational field strength due to the Earth being an oblate spheroid. This means that there is less mass between your feet and the center of the Earth at the equator, leading to a slightly lower g value. This is due to the Earth's angular momentum, which can have a small effect on measurements at the equator. However, this is not factored in when calculating g.
quantumtron
Hi all, this will be my first physics qns:D more to come...

I just learned that value of g at the equator is not exactly equal to the gravitational field strength. Can anyone explain with workings? i don't really understand my teacher workings.
Also can i clarify if

-We're assuming Earth is perfectly sphere hence Radius (r) is same throughout and Angular speed is the same throughout the earth?

*i suspect there is a printing error on my notes which makes cause my confusion over the understanding of this part hence getting some other people's workings ...

Physics news on Phys.org
IF the Earth were a perfect sphere, then g would have the same value at any point on its surface. In fact, though, the Earth is an oblate spheroid. In practical terms, this means there is less mass between your feet and the center of the Earth when you stand at the North Pole than when you stand at the Equator. This need not work out to a higher g on the equator--it's a question of distance as well as mass, so density figures in--but in our case, it does.

The Earth's angular momentum will have a marginal effect on your scale if you are weighing something at the Equator, but it is important to note that this dynamic factor is NOT considered when calculating g.

Related to Variation of gravitation field strength?

1. What is the cause of variation in gravitation field strength?

The variation in gravitation field strength is primarily caused by differences in the distribution of mass and density within an object or between multiple objects. This can also be affected by factors such as distance and velocity.

2. How does the variation in gravitation field strength affect the motion of objects?

The variation in gravitation field strength can affect the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on them. This is known as the gravitational force.

3. Can the variation in gravitation field strength be measured?

Yes, the variation in gravitation field strength can be measured using instruments such as a gravimeter or pendulum. These devices can detect small changes in the gravitational force and calculate the corresponding variations in field strength.

4. How does the variation in gravitation field strength affect the orbits of planets?

The variation in gravitation field strength affects the orbits of planets by determining the shape, size, and speed of their orbits. This is because the gravitational force between a planet and its parent star, as well as any other nearby objects, is directly related to the field strength.

5. Can the variation in gravitation field strength change over time?

Yes, the variation in gravitation field strength can change over time due to a number of factors such as the movement of masses within an object, the redistribution of mass between objects, and the effects of other forces such as tidal forces. It can also be affected by the expansion of the universe.