Variation of Dirac delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses taking the variation of the Dirac delta function and its applications. It is possible to take the functional derivative and the derivative of the Dirac delta function, but it may not be useful in practice. The procedure is described using mathematical symbols and the Wikipedia site is referenced for further information. The conversation also touches on using the chain rule and the variation of a function. The final question asks for clarification on the techniques used and if they apply to the Dirac delta function.
friend
Is it possible to take the variation of the Dirac delta function, by that I mean take the functional derivative of the Dirac delta function?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes you can (its laplace transform is s) and you can even take the derivative of this one although in practice i m not really sure how you can use it

charbel said:
yes you can (its laplace transform is s) and you can even take the derivative of this one although in practice i m not really sure how you can use it

Could someone describe this procedure in math symbols? Or maybe point me to a link? Thanks.

I suppose in principle you could do it. I doubt it would be useful.

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta~\delta(t')} = \delta(t-t').$$

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta \eta(t')} = 0,$$
where ##\eta(t')## is an arbitrary function not related to the dirac delta function.

Mute said:
I suppose in principle you could do it. I doubt it would be useful.

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta~\delta(t')} = \delta(t-t').$$

$$\frac{\delta~\delta(t)}{\delta \eta(t')} = 0,$$
where ##\eta(t')## is an arbitrary function not related to the dirac delta function.

You ask how it would be useful. Let me give some context. We know
[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (x - {x_0})dx} = 1[/tex]
Then suppose that the dirac delta is composed with some other function, f(x). We get
[tex]\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} = 1[/tex]
Now, we also know that the variation of a constant is zero,
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[{\rm{constant]}} = 0[/tex]
So we should have,
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} {\rm{]}} = {\rm{\delta }}[1{\rm{]}} = 0[/tex]
But the variation of a definite integral is the definite integral of the variation. A variation is like differentiation which commutes with integration. So we have,
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {\delta (f(x))f'(x)dx} {\rm{]}} = \int_{ - \infty }^{ + \infty } {{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))f'(x)]dx} [/tex]
And in order for this to be identically zero, then the integrand must be zero, or
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))f'(x)] = 0[/tex]
Thus the question about variations of dirac delta functions.

I suppose you could use the chain rule to break this down to
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))]f'(x) + \delta (f(x)){\rm{\delta }}[f'(x)] = 0[/tex]
So what's the next step? Is it true that
[tex]{\rm{\delta }}[\delta (f(x))] = \frac{d}{{dx}}\{ \delta (f(x))\} \,{\rm{\delta }}x[/tex]

As I understand it, if
[tex]F\left[ {y\left( x \right),z\left( x \right)} \right][/tex]
then
[tex]\delta F = \frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial y}}\delta y + \frac{{\partial F}}{{\partial z}}\delta z[/tex]
So the variation of the Dirac delta of a function, S(x), would be
[tex]\delta \delta (S(x)) = \frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}}\delta S(x)[/tex]
And from the wikipedia.com site

[itex]x\frac{{d\delta (x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}} = - \delta (x).[/itex] OR [itex]\frac{{d\delta (x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}} = - \frac{{\delta (x)}}{x}[/itex]

So,
[tex]\frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}} = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}[/tex]
And since
[tex]\delta S(x) = \frac{{dS(x)}}{{dx}}dx[/tex]
We have,
[tex]\delta \delta (S(x)) = \frac{{\partial \delta (S(x))}}{{\partial S}}\delta S(x) = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}\delta S(x) = - \frac{{\delta (S(x))}}{{S(x)}}\frac{{dS(x)}}{{dx\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,}}dx[/tex]
Does this all seem right so far? Or is there something special about the Dirac delta that these techniques don't apply? I don't work with the math of variation very often. So I'd appreciate some help. Thank you.

Last edited:

Related to Variation of Dirac delta function

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point mass or a point charge in physics and engineering. It is defined as infinite at the origin and zero everywhere else, and has an integral of 1 over its entire domain.

2. What is the purpose of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is mainly used as a mathematical tool to simplify calculations in engineering and physics. It allows us to represent a point mass or a point charge in a more convenient and compact way, and is also useful in solving differential equations and Fourier transforms.

3. How does the Dirac delta function vary?

The Dirac delta function varies in two important ways: amplitude and position. The amplitude of the function remains constant at infinity, but its position can change depending on the argument that is being evaluated. This means that the function can shift and scale, but its overall shape remains the same.

4. What is the relationship between the Dirac delta function and the Kronecker delta?

The Dirac delta function is a continuous version of the Kronecker delta, which is a discrete mathematical function. The Kronecker delta is defined as 1 when the arguments are equal and 0 otherwise, while the Dirac delta function has the same properties but can also take on non-zero values at the origin.

5. How is the Dirac delta function used in real-world applications?

The Dirac delta function has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to model point masses and point charges in mechanics and electromagnetics, and is also used in signal processing and control systems. It also has applications in probability theory, where it represents a probability distribution with zero variance.