Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Variable transformation

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Given the following ODE
\[
\left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2 = \mu u^2 - \frac{2\alpha}{\sigma + 2}u^{\sigma + 2} - \frac{\gamma}{\sigma + 1}u^{2(\sigma + 1)}
\]
How do I obtain
\[
u(x) = \left(\frac{A}{B + \cosh(Dx)}\right)^{1/\sigma}
\]
where
\(A = \frac{(2 + \sigma)B\mu}{\alpha}\), \(B = \text{sgn}(\alpha)\left[1 + \frac{(2 + \sigma)^2\gamma}{(1 + \sigma)\alpha^2}\mu\right]^{-1/2}\), and \(D = \sigma\sqrt{\mu}\) with the variable transformation \(y = u^{-\sigma}\)?

Last edited:

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Is the power on the second term rhs of the equation correct?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is the power on the second term rhs of the equation correct?
It should be \(\sigma + 2\).

I don't see how this variable change makes anything easier.
\(u = y^{-1/\sigma}\) so \(du = -\frac{1}{\sigma}y^{-(1 + 1/\sigma)}dy\) and \(u^{\sigma + 2} = y^{-(1+2/\sigma)}\) and \(u^{2(\sigma + 1)} = y^{-2(1+1/\sigma)}\).

Last edited:

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
You'll notice that each term has $u^{-2/\sigma}$ common so they cancel. So when you simplify your equation you should get

$\left(\dfrac{du}{dx}\right)^2 = au^2 + bu + c$

for some $a, b$ and $c$. This is solvable.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
You'll notice that each term has $u^{-2/\sigma}$ common so they cancel. So when you simplify your equation you should get

$\left(\dfrac{du}{dx}\right)^2 = au^2 + bu + c$

for some $a, b$ and $c$. This is solvable.
What method is used to solve an ODE of this form?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\arcsec}{arcsec}\)
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\sech}{sech}\)

How can I get to the final result from (see work below)?

For the moment, let \(\mu\sigma^2 = a\), \(\frac{2\alpha\sigma^2}{\sigma + 2} = b\), and \(\frac{\gamma\sigma^2}{\sigma + 1} = c\).
Then our ODE becomes
\[
\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{au^2 - bu - c}} = \pm x.
\]
For expression inside the square root, we will need to complete the square, make the subtition \(s = u\sqrt{a} - \frac{b}{2\sqrt{a}}\), \(s = i\sec(t)\sqrt{\frac{-b^2 - 4ac}{4a}}\), and \(t = \arcsec\Big(\frac{-2iu\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{-b^2 - 4ac}}\Big)\).
After completing the square, we will have obtained
\[
\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{-b^2 - 4ac}{4a} +
\Big(u\sqrt{a} - \frac{b}{2\sqrt{a}}\Big)^2}}.
\]
Using our \(s\) substitution, \(ds = \sqrt{a}du\) so the integral becomes
\[
\int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{\frac{-b^2 - 4ac}{4a} + s^2}} = \pm x\sqrt{a}.
\]
Using our final substitution for \(s\), we have \(ds = i\tan(t)\sec(t)\sqrt{\frac{-b^2 - 4ac}{4a}}dt\), and then using our \(t\) substitution, we now have
\begin{align*}
\int\sec(t)dt &= \pm x\sqrt{a}\\
\ln(\tan(t) + \sec(t)) &= \pm x\sqrt{a}\\
\tan(t) + \sec(t) &= \big\{e^{x\sqrt{a}}, e^{-x\sqrt{a}}\big\}\\
2\sqrt{a}\sqrt{au^2 - bu - c} + 2au - b &=
\big\{\cosh\big(x\sqrt{a}\big), \sinh\big(x\sqrt{a}\big)\big\}
\end{align*}
Then when I keep the \(\cosh\) term and solve for \(u\), I have
\[
u(x) = \frac{2b + \cosh(Dx) + (b^2 + 4ac)\sech(Dx)}{4a}
\]
I have not idea how to back sub in the definitions of \(a\), \(b\), and \(c\) to get the correct form of \(u\).

Last edited:

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
You can do what you did but try differentiating. In doing so we obtain

$2 u' u'' = (2 a u +b) u' $

giving $u ' = 0$ or $u'' = au + b/a$. I think the latter is easier to solve than your approach.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
You can do what you did but try differentiating. In doing so we obtain

$2 u' u'' = (2 a u +b) u' $

giving $u ' = 0$ or $u'' = au + b/a$. I think the latter is easier to solve then your approach.
This should be $u'' = au + b/2$, correct?

The solution to this ODE after making the substitution \(u^{-\sigma} = y\) is
\[
u(x) = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{b}{2a} + c_1\cosh(Dx)}\right)^{1/\sigma} = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{\alpha}{(\sigma + 2)\mu} + c_1\cosh(Dx)}\right)^{1/\sigma}
\]
as \(x\to\infty\), \(u\to 0\), and \(u'\to 0\).
\[
u'(x) = -\frac{c_1 D \sinh (D x) \left(\frac{1}{\frac{b}{2 a}+c \cosh (D x)}\right)^{\frac{1}{\sigma }+1}}{\sigma }
\]
I don't see a meaningful way to find \(c_1\). If I assume \(c_1 = 1\), then I can't produce the desired result either. So I think \(c_1\) isn't 1 since then I could factor out something to potential get \(A\) and \(B\).

Last edited:

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I have determined that \(c_1 = \frac{1}{A} = \frac{\alpha}{(2 + \sigma)\mu B}\).
How do I get this value though?

I just worked through the problem to see what I needed for \(c_1\) without using the BC at infinity.
\[
u(x) = \left(\frac{A}{B + Ac_1\cosh(Dx)}\right)^{1/\sigma}
\]

Last edited:

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, that was a typo. It should be $b/2$. As for finding the constant. Go back to the original equation after the substitution, namely

$ y'^2 = \mu \sigma^2 y^2 - \dfrac{2 \alpha \sigma^2}{\sigma+2} y - \dfrac{ \gamma \sigma^2}{\sigma+1}$

and substitute your solution.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Yes, that was a typo. It should be $b/2$. As for finding the constant. Go back to the original equation after the substitution, namely

$ y'^2 = \mu \sigma^2 y^2 - \dfrac{2 \alpha \sigma^2}{\sigma+2} y - \dfrac{ \gamma \sigma^2}{\sigma+1}$

and substitute your solution.
With \(y(x) = \frac{b}{2a} + c_1\cosh(Dx)\), I get
\[
\left\{c\to -\frac{i \sqrt{\alpha ^2 (\sigma +1)+\gamma \mu (\sigma +2)^2}}{\sqrt{\mu } \sqrt{\sigma +1} (\sigma +2) \sqrt{\mu \left(\mu \sigma ^2 \sinh ^2\left(\mu \sigma ^2 x\right)-\cosh ^2\left(\mu \sigma ^2 x\right)\right)}}\right\},\left\{c\to \frac{i \sqrt{\alpha ^2 (\sigma +1)+\gamma \mu (\sigma +2)^2}}{\sqrt{\mu } \sqrt{\sigma +1} (\sigma +2) \sqrt{\mu \left(\mu \sigma ^2 \sinh ^2\left(\mu \sigma ^2 x\right)-\cosh ^2\left(\mu \sigma ^2 x\right)\right)}}\right\}
\]
which isn't \(\frac{1}{A}\) and the solution is complex. I used Mathematica to solve for the coefficient so I doubt there is a mistake.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
First, is it $\dfrac{b}{2a}$ or $- \dfrac{b}{2a}$. It really makes a difference. Second, you can use the hyperbolic sinh-cosh identity. Try that.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\sgn}{sgn}\)
First, is it $\dfrac{b}{2a}$ or $- \dfrac{b}{2a}$. It really makes a difference. Second, you can use the hyperbolic sinh-cosh identity. Try that.
If I use \(-\frac{b}{2a}\) and simplify, I get:
\[
\text{c1}\to \pm\frac{\sqrt{\alpha ^2 (\sigma +1)-\gamma \mu (\sigma +2)^2}}{\sqrt{\mu ^2 (\sigma +1) (\sigma +2)^2}}
\]
When I do some algebra, I get
\[
\frac{\alpha\sqrt{1 - \frac{\gamma\mu(2 + \sigma)^2}{\alpha^2(1 + \sigma)}}}{\mu(2 + \sigma)}
\]
but \(\frac{1}{A}\) is
\[
\frac{\alpha\sqrt{1 + \frac{\gamma\mu(2 + \sigma)^2}{\alpha^2(1 + \sigma)}}}{\mu(2 + \sigma)\sgn(\alpha)}
\]
So I have a negative when I need a positive and how do I pick up the \(\sgn(\alpha)\)?

Since \(\alpha^2\) is being factor out through the radical, \(\alpha\) can be both + or - so that is where the \(\sgn(\alpha)\) is picked up, correct? However, I still have a negative issue in the radical.

Last edited: