Variable pairs in uncertainty relation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for other pairs of variables in Heisenberg's uncertainty relationship, particularly electric field strength and magnetic field strength. The reason for this interest is to calculate the correlation between two spin correlated particles as they move apart. The conversation also mentions the non-commutativity of projections of angular momentum on different spatial axes and the use of phase in experiments.
Nemus
I have been trying to figure out other pairs of variables in Heisenberg's uncertainty relationship apart from the well known position-momentum and time-energy pairs.
I am particularly interested in electric fireld strength and magnetic field strenght.
The reason for my interest is that if I figure this out (or somebody tells me), then there would be a way to calculate how the correlation between two initially spin correlated particles decays as they move apart. You know, if there is a certain level of fluctuations in the magnetic field even in a perfect vaccuum, the famous spooky-action-at-adistance would at least have a distance limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge-phase is a conjugate pair, not quite E and B but at least related quantities.

Btw, time and energy is not a "real" pair; time is not an observable in QM.

Nemus said:
I have been trying to figure out other pairs of variables in Heisenberg's uncertainty relationship apart from the well known position-momentum and time-energy pairs.
I am particularly interested in electric fireld strength and magnetic field strenght.
The reason for my interest is that if I figure this out (or somebody tells me), then there would be a way to calculate how the correlation between two initially spin correlated particles decays as they move apart. You know, if there is a certain level of fluctuations in the magnetic field even in a perfect vaccuum, the famous spooky-action-at-adistance would at least have a distance limit.

The projections of angular momentum on different spatial axes also do not commute. This is the basis of the triple Stern-Gerlach experiment.

Phase of what?

You are of course correct that the energy-time pair is different. Very useful though.

Nemus said:
Phase of what?

It depends. In most experiments one uses the phase of e.g. a superconducting junction (known as a Josephson junction) or a ring. Google "Phase qubit".

Related to Variable pairs in uncertainty relation?

1. What are variable pairs in the uncertainty relation?

Variable pairs in the uncertainty relation refer to two properties or measurements that are related by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. These variables cannot be measured simultaneously with perfect accuracy, and there is a trade-off between the precision of their measurements.

2. How are variable pairs related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties can be known. This means that for variable pairs in the uncertainty relation, the more precisely one variable is measured, the less precisely the other can be measured.

3. Can variable pairs be any two physical properties?

No, variable pairs in the uncertainty relation must follow certain rules in order to be valid. The variables must be complementary, meaning they cannot be measured at the same time, and they must have a non-zero commutator, which is a mathematical property that represents the uncertainty between the two variables.

4. How do variable pairs affect our understanding of the quantum world?

Variable pairs in the uncertainty relation play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They show that there are inherent limits to what we can know about the physical properties of particles, and that the act of measurement can actually change the state of the particle. This challenges our classical understanding of causality and determinism.

5. Are there any practical applications of the uncertainty relation and variable pairs?

Yes, the uncertainty relation has practical applications in various fields such as quantum cryptography, where it is used to ensure the security of communication channels. It also plays a role in the development of technologies such as atomic clocks and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.