Variable of an equation is in the denominator

• Thread starter mileena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary: I had to stop doing my homework and go to bedIn summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation 1/x - 1/a = 1/b for x. Two methods are suggested: using a common denominator and taking the reciprocal. Both methods lead to the solution x = ab/(a+b). The conversation also includes a discussion on the importance of finding a common denominator and a helpful hint about the relationship between fractions with equal ratios.
mileena

Homework Statement

1/x - 1/a = 1/b

Solve for x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used to be able to do this in high school, but now I am 43! Normally, I would just cross-multiply and solve for x, to get the x out of the denominator, but you cannot cross-multiply if there is more than one numerator! Does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: a*(1/a) = 1

What can you do to both sides to get rid of that 1/x?

There are two ways to approach this:
1: Do the subtraction on the left: since the two denominators are "a" and "x", the "common denominator is ax. Multiplying numerator and denominator of the first fraction by a and the second by x, we have a/ax- x/ax= b so that (a- x)/ax= 1/b. At this point, I would multiply on both sides by abx: b(a- x)= ax so that ba- bx= ax. Can you finish this?

2. Get the x alone on one side by adding 1/a to both sides: 1/x= 1/a+ 1/b. You can add the two fractions on the right by, as before, getting a common denominator: 1/x= b/ab+ a/ab= (b+ a)/ab. Then get x by taking the reciprocal of both sides.

HallsofIvy said:
There are two ways to approach this:
1: Do the subtraction on the left: since the two denominators are "a" and "x", the "common denominator is ax. Multiplying numerator and denominator of the first fraction by a and the second by x, we have a/ax- x/ax= b so that (a- x)/ax= 1/b. At this point, I would multiply on both sides by abx: b(a- x)= ax so that ba- bx= ax. Can you finish this?

Fabulous! Yes, I can do it:

ba - bx = ax

1. Factor out the b:

b(a - x) = ax

2. Distribute:

ab - bx = ax

3. Get all the x's on one side:

ab = bx + ax

4. Factor out the x:

ab = x(b + a)

5. Solve for x:

ab/(b + a) = x

Thank you! The key was finding the common denominator to make a single fraction out of the two terms (is "term" the correct word here?) or two fractions.

HallsofIvy said:
2. Get the x alone on one side by adding 1/a to both sides: 1/x= 1/a+ 1/b. You can add the two fractions on the right by, as before, getting a common denominator: 1/x= b/ab+ a/ab= (b+ a)/ab. Then get x by taking the reciprocal of both sides.

I just learned a new rule from the above:

If x/y = a/b, then y/x = b/a, provided that none of the terms here equal zero

Thank you for that too!

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Hint: a*(1/a) = 1

What can you do to both sides to get rid of that 1/x?

Ok, thanks for the hint. It's been a long time, I wasn't able to solve the above until I learned from HallsofIvy to find the common factor for the two denominators of the fractions on one side.

So here goes, using your method:

1/x - 1/a = 1/b

b(1/x - 1/a) = b(1/b)

b/x - b/a = b/b

b/x - b/a = 1

ba/xa - bx/xa = 1

(ba - bx)/xa = 1

1(xa) = 1(ba - bx)

xa + bx = ba

x(a + b) = ab

x = ab/(a + b)

Wow! Both solutions in both of my posts match. Thank you!

Mileena, in your first with a solution your first two steps are unnecessary.

You said to factor and distribute (virtually undoing the factoring.

It is not wrong and you came to the right answer, I just wanted to point it out so that you know you can start the problem from step 3.

Of course you are right Jufro! Thank you.

In my preparation the last week for the pre-calculus assessment test I will be taking in a few days, I became more comfortable with that! I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that sequence.

Also, sorry for my late reply.

Related to Variable of an equation is in the denominator

1. What does it mean when a variable is in the denominator of an equation?

When a variable is in the denominator of an equation, it means that it is being divided by the other terms in the equation. This can affect the overall value of the variable and the solution to the equation.

2. Why is it important to identify the variable in the denominator of an equation?

Identifying the variable in the denominator is important because it can help us understand how changes in that variable will affect the outcome of the equation. It also allows us to manipulate the equation to solve for the variable.

3. Can a variable in the denominator ever equal 0?

Yes, a variable in the denominator can equal 0. This would make the equation undefined, as division by 0 is undefined in mathematics.

4. How do you solve for a variable that is in the denominator of an equation?

To solve for a variable in the denominator, we can use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This may involve multiplying both sides by the denominator or using other techniques such as cross-multiplication.

5. How does having a variable in the denominator affect the graph of an equation?

Having a variable in the denominator can create a curve or asymptote in the graph of an equation. This is because as the variable approaches certain values, the denominator approaches 0, resulting in a vertical or horizontal line on the graph.