Variable acceleration question

In summary, variable acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity over time and can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is different from constant acceleration, which occurs when the velocity changes by the same amount over equal intervals of time. Real-life examples of variable acceleration include cars, roller coasters, and falling objects. It can be represented graphically by plotting velocity against time, with steeper slopes indicating higher acceleration.
yoshi95
hi all,

i think this should be simple but i just can't figuring it out

i basically want to move a particle at rest from point A to point B by applying a force, F(t).
the particle should be at point B when t = T

knowing at that F = m * a(t), i m assuming m = 1, which means F(t) = a(t)

i don't want the particle to swing around point B, meaning i want it to settle to rest at point B very quickly, this means velocity at point B should be 0, v(T) = 0

so assuming d=distance, v=velocity, a=acceleration, i created the following condition below for my question:

d(0) = 0
v(0) = V0
a(0) = A0

d(T) = B
v(T) = 0
a(T) = 0

i m thinking that many a(t) will satisfy the above boundary conditions, like a linear a(t) in the form of
a(t) = c * t + A0

then i got stuck...

any help would be great...
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If a(t) = c * t + A0, then what are v(t) and d(t)?

Last edited:
You're right on track so far, especially with the observation that there will be many solutions. You're going to need some sort of extra condition to determine the acceleration uniquely. For example, you could assume that it's linear, or sinusoidal, or you could try to find the pattern of acceleration that will produce the minimum amount of work. Or whatever. But once you figure out what kind of acceleration you want, it's really just a math problem.

P.S. You might have to do some fiddling to satisfy all 6 of your boundary conditions.

Note for the given problem statement, A0, V0, and B are related to each other in such way that only two of them can be variable, and the third value will be determined from the other two. For example, if you want A0 and V0 to be the inputs, then B is a calculated value.

here is my approach

i got this from some physics book
1) D(t) = 1/2 * a(t) * t2 + v0 * t + d0

differentiating 1) with respect to t, i get
2) v(t) = dD/dt = 1/2 * t * a' + t * a + v0

differentiating 2) with respect to t, i get
3) a = a(t) = dv/dt = 2 * t * a' + 1/2 * t2 * a'' + a

from 3) i get a 2nd order DE
4) a'' = -4/t * a

solving 4) i get
a(t) = c1/t3 + c2

which means that acceleration is infinity at a(0), which violates my boundary condition of
a(0) = A0

am i in the right direction?
thanks in advance

yoshi95 said:
1) D(t) = 1/2 * a(t) * t2 + v0 * t + d0
That is the equation for constant acceleration, a(t) = A0.

You've already stated the equation for acceleration,

a(t) = c t + A0

Start with that and integrate to get v(t), then integrate again to get d(t). For the constants of integration, you've already defined them as V0 for v(0) and 0 for d(0).

For anyone that was curious:
Note that A0 is negative, B is a determined value.

A(t) = t c + A0
V(t) = 1/2 t2 c + t A0 + V0
D(t) = 1/6 t3 c + 1/2 t2A0 + t V0 + 0

For some t != 0, A(t) = 0, V(t) = 0, and D(t) = B (to be determined)

cancel c term to solve for T:
1/2 T A(T) = 1/2 T2 c + 1/2 T A0
V(T) - 1/2 t A(T) = 1/2 T A0 + V0 = 0
T = -2 V0 / A0

use T to solve for c:
A(T) = T c + A0 = (-2 V0/A0) c + A0 = 0
c = A02 / (2 V0)

use T and c to solve for B
D(t) = 1/6 T3 c + 1/2 T2A0 + T V0 + 0 = B
1/6 (-2 V0/A0)3 (A02 / (2 V0)) + 1/2 (-2 V0/A0)2 A0 + (-2 V0/A0) V0 = B
-2/3 (V02 / A0) + 2 (V02 / A0) -2 (V02 / A0) = B
B = -2/3 (V02 / A0)

alternate method for B (cancel c term, then A0 term, to solve for B versus t):
cancel c term:
V(t) = 1/2 t2 c + t A0 + V0
D(t) = 1/6 t3 c + 1/2 t2A0 + t V0 - B = 0
1/3 t V(t) = 1/6 t3 c + 1/3 t2 A0 + 1/3 t V0 = 0
D(t) - 1/3 t V(t) = 1/6 t2 A0 + 2/3 t V0 - B = 0
cancel A0 term:
V(t) - 1/2 t A(t) = 1/2 t A0 + V0 = 0
1/3 t (V(t) - 1/2 t A(t)) = 1/6 t2 A0 + 1/3 t V0 = 0
(D(t) - 1/3 t V(t)) - (1/3 t (V(t) - 1/2 t A(t))) = 1/3 t V0 - B = 0
B = 1/3 t V0
solve for t = T
B = 1/3 T V0 = 1/3 (-2 V0 / A0) V0 = -2/3 (V02 / A0)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a constant acceleration is still within the family of initial solutions.

flatmaster said:
I'm pretty sure a constant acceleration is still within the family of initial solutions.
Only if A0, V0, and B are zero, the object never moves, and t doesn't matter. Otherwise if A0 0 at t = 0, then later A0 = 0 at t = T, then acceleration has to change. Remove the requirement that A0 = 0 at t = T, then constant acceleration works.

Related to Variable acceleration question

What is variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity over time. This can occur when the object is speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

How is variable acceleration calculated?

Variable acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be written as a = (vf - vi) / (tf - ti), where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.

What is the difference between constant and variable acceleration?

Constant acceleration occurs when the velocity of an object changes by the same amount over equal intervals of time. Variable acceleration, on the other hand, occurs when the velocity changes by different amounts over equal intervals of time.

What are some real-life examples of variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration can be observed in many real-life scenarios, such as a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going up and down hills, or a ball being thrown into the air and falling back down. It can also be seen in natural phenomena, such as the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity.

How is variable acceleration represented graphically?

Variable acceleration can be represented on a graph by plotting velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph will show the changing velocity over time as a curved line, with steeper slopes indicating higher acceleration and flatter slopes indicating lower acceleration.