Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC?

In summary, the client has a "burn-off" used to remove labels from products and wants to be able to change the voltage from 100-350VAC via the HMI. The expert suggests using a variable transformer or frequency converter, but the client wants an "off the shelf" solution. The expert also mentions the option of using a basic electric heat controller with a thermal sensor for feedback. The client is pleased with the solution and thanks the expert for their help.
Purple_Dan
Hello, I have a strange request from a client.

He has a "burn-off" which is used to burn bits of labels that are stuck onto his products, that's a bit vague, but it's all the info I have.

The request is that he wants to be able to change the voltage going through the burn-off anywhere between 100-350VAC, presumably to burn things quicker/slower depending on the product and label.

He wants the voltage to be selectable via his HMI, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

A variable transformer makes sense, you can even get motorised ones. However, they don't have a feedback from what I can tell. I've found a 0-580VAC motorised Variac.
My idea is that I can use 2 digital outputs for forward and reverse on the motor, then, for feedback I can somehow convert the voltage to 0-10VDC or 4-20mA (the AI card has both). I say "somehow convert" because I know it can be done with simple electrical components, but I dare say my company would prefer an "off the shelf" solution.

Or am I going about it all the wrong way?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If they are ready to buy it, then 'off the shelf' sell them a frequency converter with variable voltage output.

Ps.: for myself I too would go for the transformer... But for a company it's different. Don't forget to make a big, demonstrative box for that few component in the voltage feedback.

Rive said:
If they are ready to buy it, then 'off the shelf' sell them a frequency converter with variable voltage output.

Ps.: for myself I too would go for the transformer... But for a company it's different. Don't forget to make a big, demonstrative box for that few component in the voltage feedback.

I suppose the thing that bumps the cost up is he wants it selectable from the HMI.
So then it needs to go through the PLC and all that jazz.
We could just put a non motorised Variac next to the HMI. Much cheaper, only one component needed and he only needs to twiddle a knob.

Nidum said:
You beautiful person!
Well done, that's the hardest part out of the way, helps me immensely!
Thank you!

Likes dlgoff
Is this a radiant (resistive) heater element? Then a basic electric heat controller should work, feed back would be some type of a thermal sensor.

Related to Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC?

1. What is a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC?

A Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) is a system that uses a PLC to adjust the voltage output between 100-350VAC (volts alternating current). This allows for precise control of electrical systems, such as motors or lights.

2. How does a PLC control the voltage output?

A PLC uses a combination of programming logic and input/output modules to control the voltage output. The programming logic is written in a specialized language that allows the PLC to receive input signals, make decisions, and send output signals to control the voltage output.

3. What are the benefits of using a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC?

Using a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC offers several benefits, including precise and accurate control of voltage output, flexibility to adjust the output as needed, and the ability to monitor and troubleshoot the system in real-time.

4. Can a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC be used in different industries?

Yes, a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC can be used in various industries, including manufacturing, automation, and energy management. It is a versatile system that can be customized to meet the specific needs of different applications.

5. How reliable is a Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC?

A Variable 100-350VAC output controlled by PLC is highly reliable. PLCs are designed to withstand harsh industrial environments and have a low failure rate. They also have built-in safeguards and self-diagnostic capabilities to ensure continuous operation.