Vaporisation of Water at different altitudes

In summary, a student is conducting an experiment for a physics course on the boiling point of water at different altitudes. They are using the Clausius-Clapeyron relation to determine the vaporisation of water, but have found that the energy required for vaporisation increases as pressure decreases, which goes against their initial understanding. They are seeking resources to better understand this phenomenon and have been advised to keep their experiment simple.
Dean Lovett
Hey All,

I am undertaking an experiment for a final report for a physics course at university. I have chosen to study the boiling point of water at a range of different pressures as a result of different altitudes.

I am using the Clausius-Clapeyron relation after obtaining the boiling point at a particular pressure to determine the vaporisation of water at that pressure. However, After taking the boiling point from 5 different altitudes (163m - 1065m above sea level) it appears that when i plug it all into the Clausius-Clapeyron relation the value for (delta)H_vap increases as the pressure decreases - Insinuating that more energy is required to vaporise the water at decreasing pressures.

I was under the impression that as the pressure decreases, the boiling point of the water decreases and as such so does the energy of vaporisation of water. I have managed to find a website that stands to support what i have found. However, The increase in energy at different altitudes confuses me.

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out by point me towards a particular website/journal article in which i may be able begin to understand the phenomena.

Thank you in advance,
My best,
Dean.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's something that gets covered in standard references - try your college library.
For your practical, you could just measure boiling points, specific heat, and latent heat, as you have no doubt seen in laboratories.
Just reproduce the standard experiments at different altitudes. The key to these things is usually to keep it simple - unless this is a post-grad exercise, you will usually be marked for your experimental technique/approach rather than being technically accurate or sophisticated.

As for resources - any casual google will get you pretty much what you need.

Related to Vaporisation of Water at different altitudes

What is vaporization of water?

Vaporization is the process by which water changes from a liquid state to a gaseous state. This can occur naturally through evaporation or through boiling.

How does altitude affect the vaporization of water?

At higher altitudes, the air pressure is lower which means there is less atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the water. This reduces the boiling point of water, making it easier for water to vaporize and turn into a gas.

Why does water boil at a lower temperature at higher altitudes?

The boiling point of water is determined by the amount of pressure exerted on the surface of the water. As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, which means there is less pressure on the surface of the water. This allows water molecules to escape into the air more easily, causing it to boil at a lower temperature.

What is the relationship between altitude and humidity?

As altitude increases, the air becomes less dense and can hold less moisture. This means that at higher altitudes, the air is drier and has a lower humidity compared to lower altitudes. This affects the rate of evaporation and vaporization of water.

How does the vaporization of water at different altitudes impact weather patterns?

The differences in vaporization of water at different altitudes can affect the formation of clouds and precipitation. As water vapor rises and cools, it can condense into clouds and eventually fall as rain or snow. The lower boiling point at higher altitudes can also lead to more frequent thunderstorms and other weather events.