Van der waals attraction between 1-D wires

In summary, the problem involves two infinitesimally thin wires of equal length ##L## at a mutual distance ##d##. The van der Waals interaction between the wires is estimated for ##d \gg L## in two configurations: (i) parallel and in register, and (ii) on parallel planes and in a "cross" configuration. The VDW attraction between atoms is modeled by ##u(r) = - C/r^6##, with ##C## being a constant. Setting up a coordinate system with the ##z## axis coinciding with the wire and the origin midway, the attraction between the atom at ##z=0## on one wire and an arbitrary atom at a distance ##\sqrt{d^2
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider two infinitesimally thin (i.e 1-D) wires of equal length ##L##, and at
mutual distance ##d##.
Consider the two configurations shown in attachment
Estimate the van der Waals interaction between the wires, for ##d \gg L##, in the two situations

where: (i) the wires are parallel and in register, as on left and (ii) the wires lie on parallel
planes and are in the ''cross'' configuration as on the right.

Homework Equations

VDW attraction between atoms modeled by ##u(r) = - C/r^6, C## a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Set up a coordinate system with ##z## axis coinciding with the wire with origin midway. The attraction between the atom at ##z=0## on one wire and an arbritary atom at some distance ##\sqrt{d^2 + z^2}## is therefore ##u(z) = -C/(z^2 + d^2)^3##. This atom at ##z=0## therefore contributes ##U(r) = \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} u(z) dz##, i.e the interaction energy contributed from this atom on one wire and all others on the other. Now how should I proceed to get the total interaction energy due to all atoms? I wasn't specified the atom density along the wires.

I can't make sense of the mutual distance of the wires being a distance ##d## apart in the second configuration.

Thanks.

Attachments

• VDW.png
    VDW.png
    189 bytes · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
The question was updated with the atomic density being ##\sigma##, so my answer for the total interaction energy between the wires is ##\sigma L U(r)## Is it correct?

Can anyone help?

Related to Van der waals attraction between 1-D wires

What is Van der Waals attraction?

Van der Waals attraction is a type of intermolecular force that occurs between molecules or atoms. It is a weak force that is caused by temporary dipoles in molecules, which result in an attractive force between them.

How does Van der Waals attraction work between 1-D wires?

In the case of 1-D wires, Van der Waals attraction occurs between the individual atoms in the wire. These atoms are arranged in a linear fashion, creating a long, thin structure. The temporary dipoles in these atoms cause them to be attracted to each other, resulting in a cohesive force that holds the wire together.

Is Van der Waals attraction stronger or weaker than other types of intermolecular forces?

Van der Waals attraction is generally considered to be weaker than other types of intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole interactions. However, it can still play a significant role in the stability and properties of 1-D wires.

Can Van der Waals attraction be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Van der Waals attraction can be manipulated or controlled through various methods. For instance, the distance between the 1-D wires can be adjusted to affect the strength of the force. Additionally, the type of atoms or molecules in the wires can also impact the strength of Van der Waals attraction.

What are the practical applications of Van der Waals attraction between 1-D wires?

Van der Waals attraction between 1-D wires has several practical applications, including in nanotechnology, where it is used to create strong and flexible materials. It is also important in the development of electronic devices, as it can impact the conductivity and properties of wires at the atomic level.