Van de Waals fluid in Free energy, Enthelpy representations

In summary, the coefficient of thermal expansion for an ideal Van der Waals gas is α=1/v(∂v∂T)p.
Kidphysics
Compute the coefficient of expansion α in terms of P and V...

Homework Statement

Compute the coefficient of expansion α in terms of P and V for an ideal Van der Waals
gas

Homework Equations

(p+a/v^2)(v-b)=RT

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this as simple as solving for a? How would I go about eliminating T? I believe I have to take a derivative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Kidphysics said:

Homework Statement

Compute the coefficient of expansion α in terms of P and V for an ideal Van der Waals
gas

Homework Equations

(p+a/v^2)(v-b)=RT

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this as simple as solving for a? How would I go about eliminating T? I believe I have to take a derivative.

The coefficient of thermal expansion is defined as:

[tex]\alpha=\frac{1}{v}(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T})_p[/tex]

Last edited:

Chestermiller said:
The coefficient of thermal expansion is defined as:

[tex]\alpha=\frac{1}{v}(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T})_p[/tex]

ah yes, I should have looked that up myself I assumed it was the a in the formula. Since it seems I cannot isolate v in this equation I cannot explicitly find [tex](\frac{\partial v}{\partial T})_p[/tex] I tried looking for some nifty maxwell's relations but I cannot find any that would be useful.. any helpful hints? and thank you for the reply!

Who says you have to do it explicitly?

Chestermiller said:
Who says you have to do it explicitly?

Ok bare with me I'm not the brightest. So are you implying I should compute

∂/∂T(pv-pb+a/v-ba/v^2=RT)

and get something like p∂v/∂T-a/v^2(∂v/∂T)+ba/v^3(∂v/∂T)=R∂T/∂T

Then factor and get ∂v/∂T= R/(p-a/v^2+ba/v^3)

then

α=(1/v)(∂v∂T)p = (1/v)R/(p-a/v^2+ba/v^3)

it's in terms of p,v at least.. is this correct?

Looks OK, except for the omission of a factor of 2 in the ba term. If I were you, I would try playing with the final equation a little bit to see if I could combine it with the original equation in some way to manipulate it into a simpler form. If you don't feel like doing this, that's OK. Your answer is fine as it is. Nice job.

Chestermiller said:
Looks OK, except for the omission of a factor of 2 in the ba term. If I were you, I would try playing with the final equation a little bit to see if I could combine it with the original equation in some way to manipulate it into a simpler form. If you don't feel like doing this, that's OK. Your answer is fine as it is. Nice job.

Pretty awesome stuff Chestermiller I appreciate it.

Related to Van de Waals fluid in Free energy, Enthelpy representations

What is a Van de Waals fluid?

A Van de Waals fluid is a type of fluid that exhibits properties of both gases and liquids. It is characterized by its intermolecular forces, which are stronger than those of an ideal gas but weaker than those of a liquid. Examples of Van de Waals fluids include carbon dioxide, ammonia, and propane.

How does a Van de Waals fluid contribute to free energy?

In the context of thermodynamics, free energy refers to the amount of energy in a system available to do work. Van de Waals fluids play a role in free energy through their intermolecular interactions, which can affect the pressure, volume, and temperature of the system. These factors, in turn, influence the amount of free energy available.

What is the significance of Enthalpy representations in relation to Van de Waals fluids?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system, including its internal energy and the energy required to overcome pressure and volume constraints. In the representation of Van de Waals fluids, enthalpy is often used to describe the energy and work involved in the interactions between molecules.

How are Van de Waals fluids different from ideal gases?

One of the key differences between Van de Waals fluids and ideal gases is the strength of their intermolecular forces. Ideal gases are assumed to have no intermolecular interactions, while Van de Waals fluids have weak but non-negligible forces between their molecules. This results in different behaviors in terms of pressure, volume, and temperature.

What are some practical applications of studying Van de Waals fluids in free energy and enthalpy representations?

Understanding the properties and behavior of Van de Waals fluids is crucial in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some practical applications include the design and optimization of refrigeration systems, the study of phase transitions, and the development of industrial processes involving these fluids.