Values of ##k## for which ##A_{ij}A_{ij} = |\vec a|^2##?

In summary, the antisymmetric tensor constructed from a vector ##\vec a## is given by ##A_{ij} = k\varepsilon_{ijk}a_k## and for the values of ##k## that satisfy ##A_{ij}A_{ij} = |\vec a|^2##, the term ##\delta_{jj}## should be replaced with ##\sum_{j=1}^3 \delta_{jj}## to get the correct solution.
Incand

Homework Statement

The antisymmetric tensor is constructed from a vector ##\vec a## according to ##A_{ij} = k\varepsilon_{ijk}a_k##.
For which values of ##k## is ##A_{ij}A_{ij} = |\vec a|^2##?

Homework Equations

Identity
##\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il}\delta_{jm}-\delta_{im}\delta_{jl}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##A_{ij}A_{ij} = k^2\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{ijm}a_ka_m = k^2\varepsilon_{jki}\varepsilon_{ijm}a_ka_m = k^2(\delta_{jj}\delta_{km}-\delta_{jm}\delta_{kj})a_ka_m = k^2(\delta_{km}-\delta_{km})a_ka_m =0##
Which I obviously shouldn't get but I can't see where I'm making an error.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the summation convention, so
$$\delta_{jj} \equiv \sum_{j=1}^3 \delta_{jj}.$$
This gives a different numerical factor in front of the first ##\delta_{km}## term.

Likes Incand
fzero said:
You are using the summation convention, so
$$\delta_{jj} \equiv \sum_{j=1}^3 \delta_{jj}.$$
This gives a different numerical factor in front of the first ##\delta_{km}## term.
Right thanks!

Related to Values of ##k## for which ##A_{ij}A_{ij} = |\vec a|^2##?

1. What is index notation identity?

Index notation identity is a mathematical concept used to represent and manipulate vectors and tensors. It involves using indices to label the components of a vector or tensor, which allows for easier notation and calculation of various mathematical operations.

2. How is index notation identity used in physics?

In physics, index notation identity is used to express physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, in a concise and consistent manner. It is also used in the manipulation of equations and in the derivation of important laws and formulas.

3. What are the benefits of using index notation identity?

One of the main benefits of using index notation identity is its ability to simplify complex mathematical expressions and equations. It also allows for a more efficient and systematic way of performing calculations and transformations on vectors and tensors.

4. Are there any rules or conventions to follow when using index notation identity?

Yes, there are certain rules and conventions to follow when using index notation identity. For example, repeated indices in an expression imply summation over that index, and indices must appear in the same order on both sides of an equation. Additionally, lower and upper indices have different transformation rules.

5. How can I improve my understanding and use of index notation identity?

To improve your understanding and use of index notation identity, it is important to practice and become familiar with its rules and conventions. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, and seek help from a tutor or mentor. Additionally, applying index notation identity to solve problems in physics and mathematics can also help improve your understanding.