Values of a and b in pendulum equation?

• Thread starter ajrvega22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the equation period=2pi(length/a)^b and the information from a log-log graph to solve for the values of a and b. By taking the log of the equation, log(T)=log(2pi)+blog(L/a), it can be related to the slope-intercept equation and used to solve for a and b. The equation log(L/a)=log(L)-log(a) can also be used to simplify the equation for log(T) as a function of log(L). Finally, the equation logT=b*logL+log2π-b*loga can be compared to the regression line y=m*x+n, where b is the slope and log2π-b*loga is the
ajrvega22
Ok guys so for my lab report I am given an equation of period=2pi(length/a)^b and through this equation and the slope and y-int of my log-log graph I am suppose to solve for the values of a and b. I know that taking the log of the equation gives me log(T)=log(2pi)+blog(L/a) and this relates to the slope intercept equation of y=mx+b where b is the slope. Therefore I know log(T) is y, blog(L/a) is mx and log(2pi) is b. I just can't figure out how to solve for the values of a and b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use that log(L/a)=log(L)-log(a). Write the equation for log(T) as function of log(L).

Spread your functions into logT=b*logL+log2π-b*loga. Compare to the regression line y=m*x+n from your experiment ,where b is the slope and log2π-b*loga is the intercept.

Related to Values of a and b in pendulum equation?

What is the pendulum equation?

The pendulum equation is a mathematical formula that describes the motion of a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a fixed point and allowed to swing back and forth.

What is the role of a and b in the pendulum equation?

The variables a and b in the pendulum equation represent the length and mass of the pendulum, respectively. These values help determine the period and frequency of the pendulum's motion.

How do I find the values of a and b in the pendulum equation?

The length (a) of a pendulum can be measured directly, while the mass (b) can be determined by weighing the pendulum. Alternatively, these values can be calculated using physical constants and measurements of the pendulum's motion.

What happens if the values of a and b are changed in the pendulum equation?

If the length (a) of the pendulum is increased, the period of the pendulum's motion will also increase. Similarly, if the mass (b) is increased, the period will decrease. Changes in these values can also affect the amplitude and frequency of the pendulum's motion.

Are there any limitations to the pendulum equation?

The pendulum equation is a simplified model of pendulum motion and does not account for factors such as air resistance and friction. It is also based on the assumption of a perfect pendulum with no external forces acting on it.