Value of $\dfrac{2k^2}{k-1}$: Solving the Equation

In summary, the value of <i>k</i> that makes the equation undefined is 1, and to solve for <i>k</i>, the equation can be set equal to a specific value and algebraic techniques can be used to isolate <i>k</i>. The equation can also be simplified by factoring out <i>k</i> and has a restriction where <i>k</i> cannot equal 1. This equation can be used to solve real-world problems involving ratios, but it is important to keep in mind restrictions and maintain consistent units.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Determine the value of $\dfrac{2k^2}{k-1}$ given $\dfrac{k^2}{k-1}=k^2-8$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Solution of other:

Rewrite the given equation as a cubic equation, we see that:

$k^3-2k^2-8k+8=0$

Let $k=\dfrac{2+4\sqrt{7}x}{3}$, the above cubic equation becomes $4x^4-3x=-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}$.

Let $x=\cos \theta$, $4x^4-3x=-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}$ translates into $\cos 3\theta=-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}$ and this gives

$x=\cos\left(\dfrac{1}{3}\arccos \left(-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}\right)+\dfrac{2n\pi}{3}\right)$, where $n\in\{0,\,1,\,2\}$

So

$\dfrac{2k^2}{k-1}=\dfrac{8(28\cos^2\left(\dfrac{1}{3}\arccos \left(-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}\right)+\dfrac{2n\pi}{3}\right)+4\sqrt{7}\cos \left(\dfrac{1}{3}\arccos \left(-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}\right)+\dfrac{2n\pi}{3}\right)+1}{3\left(4\sqrt{7}\cos \left(\dfrac{1}{3}\arccos \left(-\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}\right)+\dfrac{2n\pi}{3}\right)-1 \right)}$,

where $n\in\{0,\,1,\,2\}$

Compute the value of the targeted expression with calculator, by first taking $n=0$ and then replace it by $n=1$ and next $n=2$ we get three different values for $\dfrac{2k^2}{k-1}$:

$9.9758,\,-3.5603,\,-14.4155$

we have :$k^3-2k^2-8k+8=0-----(1)$
to find the solution of (1) we can use Newton's method
the roots of (1)
$k=-2.494, 0.8901, 3.609$
$\therefore \dfrac {2k^2}{k-1}=-3.56041,-14.4182, 9.975879$

Related to Value of $\dfrac{2k^2}{k-1}$: Solving the Equation

1. What is the value of k that makes the equation undefined?

The equation is undefined when the value of k is equal to 1, since dividing by 0 is undefined.

2. How do I solve for k in this equation?

To solve for k, we can set the equation equal to a specific value and use algebraic techniques to isolate k. For example, if we set the equation equal to 10, we can rearrange the terms to get a quadratic equation in terms of k. From there, we can use the quadratic formula to find the two possible values of k.

3. Can this equation be simplified?

Yes, the equation can be simplified by factoring out k from the numerator, giving us k(2k-2)/(k-1). From there, we can simplify further if there are any common factors between the numerator and denominator.

4. Does this equation have any restrictions on the value of k?

Yes, the equation has a restriction on the value of k where k cannot equal 1, as mentioned in the first question. Apart from that, there are no other restrictions on the value of k.

5. Can this equation be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, this equation can be used to solve real-world problems involving ratios, such as determining the cost per unit of a product or calculating the speed of an object. However, it is important to keep in mind any restrictions on the value of k and to make sure the units are consistent in the problem and in the resulting solution.