Value of a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

In summary, the speaker has been accepted to multiple Cal State Computer Science masters programs and has also applied to UC Davis and UC Irvine for a second bachelor's degree in Computer Science. They are waiting for a response from the UC schools and are curious about the market value of a BS from UC schools compared to an MS from Cal State schools. Their goal is to work as a software engineer but also value having options in their career. They mention that many people get MS degrees in this manner and believe that experience in programming is ultimately more important, but an MS can provide a better perspective on designing.
leo255
Hey guys,

I got accepted to a few Cal State Computer Science masters (MS) programs (I live 10 minutes from one of them). I also applied to UC Davis and UC Irvine for their BS in Computer Science (would be a 2nd bach. degree, first was Psychology, pre-req's done/am doing at a CC), and am waiting on them. It's a long story as to why I didn't apply to the UC's masters programs. Curious what you guys think. What about market value (BS from the UC's, vs MS from the Cal States)? UC's would be more expensive.

My goal is to work as a software engineer and I really love programming, but at the same time, I value having options, and perhaps being able to do different things, if I should get burned out at some point in my career.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people get Comp Sci MS degrees in this manner. Having the MS is a good thing but in the long run its your experience in programming that really matters and helps you along but still the MS will give you a better perspective on the best way or better way to design things.

Related to Value of a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

What is the value of a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

The value of a Masters in Computer Science from a State School can vary depending on individual circumstances and career goals. Generally, a Masters degree can provide advanced knowledge, skills, and networking opportunities that can enhance career prospects.

How does a Masters in Computer Science from a State School compare to other universities?

The value of a Masters degree from a State School can be comparable to other universities, as long as the program is accredited and offers quality education. State Schools often have lower tuition costs and may have strong connections to local industries, providing unique opportunities for students.

What are the job prospects after completing a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

The job prospects for graduates with a Masters in Computer Science from a State School are generally positive. With a growing demand for technology professionals, a Masters degree can make an individual more competitive in the job market and open doors to higher-paying positions.

Can I get a job in the tech industry with a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

Yes, a Masters in Computer Science from a State School can lead to job opportunities in the tech industry. State Schools often have partnerships with local companies and may offer internships or job placement programs, providing students with valuable industry experience.

Is it worth the investment to pursue a Masters in Computer Science from a State School?

The answer to this question depends on personal career goals and financial circumstances. However, a Masters degree can lead to higher paying job opportunities and may be a worthwhile investment in the long run. It is important to research and consider all factors before making a decision.