Solve for Velocity of Toy Car Accelerating with Rocket-Type Engine

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a toy car after accelerating with a rocket-type engine for 20 m. The equation v=v_i + at is used, resulting in a velocity of 15 m/s. However, the equation s = v_f t - 1/2 a t^2 is also mentioned, which is obtained by differentiating from v_i. This results in a velocity of 14.2 m/s. It is then explained that v_i is a constant of integration and cannot be equated to ds/dt, making the last equation meaningless. The conversation also notes the presence of mistakes in high school physics and the importance of understanding the variables in equations.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Here is the question, it is very simple.

A toy car accelerates by means of a rocket-type engine for 20 m. If the acceleration during the burn is [tex]5 m/s^2[/tex] and the burn lasts for 3 s, determine the velocity of the car at the end of the burn.

It seems like the obvious one, and we use.

[tex]v=v_i + at[/tex]

...and we get 15. This works for uniform acceleration, which it says it is.

They are using...

[tex]s = v_f t - 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

They got that by differentiating from [tex]v_i[/tex], instead of the usual [tex]v_f[/tex]

In the end, they get 14.2 m/s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
Here is the question, it is very simple.

A toy car accelerates by means of a rocket-type engine for 20 m. If the acceleration during the burn is [tex]5 m/s^2[/tex] and the burn lasts for 3 s, determine the velocity of the car at the end of the burn.

It seems like the obvious one, and we use.

[tex]v=v_i + at[/tex]

...and we get 15. This works for uniform acceleration, which it says it is.

They are using...

[tex]s = v_f t - 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

They got that by differentiating from [tex]v_i[/tex], instead of the usual [tex]v_f[/tex]

In the end, they get 14.2 m/s.

Er... you can't just switch around the "variable" in the problem. In

[tex]v=v_i + at[/tex]

[tex]v_i[/tex] is a constant of integration that corresponds to the initial condition, where as v is THE variable, i.e. v=v(t).

This means that v = ds/dt. You cannot equate v_i as ds/dt because v_i IS A CONSTANT with respect to time. So that last equation is meaningless. This explains why you have a discrepancy in your answer.

Zz.

Hmm... you learn something everyday!

So, I guess I'm right about that. Also, this is high school physics, too. Mistakes are everywhere. Graphs are all messed up.

Anyways, I didn't realize that the variable cannot be a constant.

What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is velocity = distance/time. This means that the velocity of an object can be found by dividing the distance it has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2). In the case of a toy car with a rocket-type engine, the acceleration would be the change in velocity over time as the car is propelled forward by the engine.

How does a rocket-type engine work?

A rocket-type engine works by burning fuel and releasing hot gases at high speeds through a nozzle. This creates a reactive force, known as thrust, which propels the object in the opposite direction. In the case of a toy car, the thrust from the rocket-type engine would push the car forward, causing it to accelerate.

What factors affect the velocity of a toy car with a rocket-type engine?

The velocity of a toy car with a rocket-type engine can be affected by several factors, such as the amount and type of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the car, and external factors like air resistance and friction.

How can the velocity of a toy car with a rocket-type engine be increased?

There are several ways to increase the velocity of a toy car with a rocket-type engine. These include using a more powerful engine, optimizing the design and weight of the car for maximum efficiency, reducing air resistance, and using high-quality fuel. Additionally, proper tuning and maintenance of the engine can also help improve its performance and increase the car's velocity.