Valentine Monopole & Detector Constructions

In summary, magnetic monopoles have not been observed, however, the concept of symmetry breaking is still used in modern particle physics. Technology has not changed the physical requirements of the experiment, which only requires replacing a chart recorder with a computer. There are no public magnetic monopole detectors, but researchers can try to build one if they have the necessary resources.
jake jot
Here is a high quality article about it written by Ethan Siegel, with Ph.D. astrophysicist, author, and science communicator, who professes physics and astronomy at various colleges and has won numerous awards for science writing since 2008. So it's not a crackpot source.

The Enduring Mystery Of Detecting The Universe's Only Magnetic Monopole (forbes.com)

monopoles.JPG

Comparing 1982 to 2020, it's nearly 40 years. Technology have evolved so much. So how do you build a monopole detector? Is there one now as small as thermal scanner? I need to get one to test something.

Another thing. The following is based on the articles. So if there are magnetic monopoles. Gauss's Law for Magnetism is not wrong, but only extended?

maxwell equations monopoles.JPG

In particle physics, they use the concept of symmetry breaking where at high temperature, there is more symmetry. So what efforts of this concept were used in the above? What I read in wiki is not clear on this, so asking for clarifications. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jake jot said:
Comparing 1982 to 2020, it's nearly 40 years. Technology have evolved so much. So how do you build a monopole detector? Is there one now as small as thermal scanner? I need to get one to test something.

Another thing. The following is based on the articles. So if there are magnetic monopoles. Gauss's Law for Magnetism is not wrong, but only extended?
Reproducing Cabera's experiment is not a DIY project. The experiment consisted of two cylindrical, corrugated, mu-metal jackets; the outer jacket was needed to isolate the system from external magnetic noise and the inner jacket, which was bathed in liquid helium in a glass dewar, was mechanically expanded and transitioned through its superconducting critical temperature in order to reduce the ambient magnetic field. This brilliant procedure reduced the ambient field by an order of about ##10^{8}##. Within the inner jacket Cabera placed a superconducting coil attached to a SQUID magnetometer. If a magnetic monopole flew through the coil the SQUID would transition to a higher current state, in units of ##\phi_0##, according to its I-V curve, and be recorded on a chart recorder.
Although technology has changed the physical requirements of the experiment have not. The only advances of the last 40 years that I can see that would improve or simplify the experiment would be replacing the chart recorder and controlling the temperature with a computer.

Fred Wright said:
Reproducing Cabera's experiment is not a DIY project. The experiment consisted of two cylindrical, corrugated, mu-metal jackets; the outer jacket was needed to isolate the system from external magnetic noise and the inner jacket, which was bathed in liquid helium in a glass dewar, was mechanically expanded and transitioned through its superconducting critical temperature in order to reduce the ambient magnetic field. This brilliant procedure reduced the ambient field by an order of about ##10^{8}##. Within the inner jacket Cabera placed a superconducting coil attached to a SQUID magnetometer. If a magnetic monopole flew through the coil the SQUID would transition to a higher current state, in units of ##\phi_0##, according to its I-V curve, and be recorded on a chart recorder.
Although technology has changed the physical requirements of the experiment have not. The only advances of the last 40 years that I can see that would improve or simplify the experiment would be replacing the chart recorder and controlling the temperature with a computer.

Do you have a list of all magnetic monopole detectors in the world (in all countries)? Which of them are accessible to the public?

I want to try something none of them have literally tried before.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore

1. What is a Valentine Monopole?

A Valentine Monopole is a hypothetical particle that is predicted by certain theories in physics, specifically in the study of magnetic monopoles. It is named after the physicist, James Valentine, who first proposed the concept in 1974.

2. What is a Detector Construction?

A Detector Construction refers to the design and construction of a device that is used to detect and measure particles, such as the Valentine Monopole. It involves the use of various materials and technologies to create a sensitive and accurate detector.

3. What is the significance of Valentine Monopoles in physics?

Valentine Monopoles have been proposed as a solution to certain problems in physics, such as the existence of magnetic monopoles in the universe. They also have potential implications in the study of quantum mechanics and the unification of fundamental forces.

4. How are Valentine Monopoles detected?

Valentine Monopoles are currently only theoretical and have not been detected yet. However, if they do exist, they could potentially be detected through their interaction with other particles, such as protons or electrons, using specialized detectors.

5. What are some current developments in Valentine Monopole and Detector Constructions?

There is ongoing research and experimentation in the field of magnetic monopoles and detector constructions. Some recent developments include the use of superconducting materials in detectors and the development of new theories and models to better understand the properties of Valentine Monopoles.