Vacuum Energy and the Casmir Plate and Electromagnetics

In summary, the question is about the behavior of photons in a double slit experiment where one slit is operating at a 180 degree phase shift. The question is whether the photons still exist and contribute to vacuum energy or if they are eliminated by the other slit. This is complicated by the concept of wave-particle duality. The person is looking for clarification from experts in electromagnetics and antennas.
rchase
See followup for clarification and simplification of the question.
I have a challenging question about electromagnetics, vacuum energy. I'd appreciate any leads on clearing up any of my misunderstanding.
I presume if two antennas were designed to broadcast the same signal, but were designed somehow be exactly phase shifted by 180 degrees. And the antennas were stationed very close together. So that no electromagentic noise would be detected until very far away.
But once a certian distance were reached, I presume the minor distance between them would account for patches of significant interference and electromagnetic noise of the wave-particle transmission.
Within the theory of radiation and emission laws, I presume the electrons flowing within a good super conductor would produce a nearly continius wave signal. However, if the waves are very close together sothere were no measurable noise for miles, but down the road there was noise; could there be nullified background energy all around us?

Regarding a better question:
It seems that we cannot consider light a wave for there to be no noticible affect for miles, then a staticiy signal. But the real question is how to we quantify the energy between the unusual source and the static? What to we call the empty zones? Do we call it gravity-like or vacuum energy like? Could this energy be all around us.

I need to hear some facts about what would really occur from antenna experts, and electromagnetics experts. I am challeged with this question it seems to require a better understanding of antennas, solidstate, and background interactions than I have.

I just noticed I was talking about an AC capacitor or inductor, and this therby seems to nullify the question; maybe. I'll let it ride because the tips of a capacitor would have this affect. And what, if any, relation to gravity could this have with nullified light all around us?

Does this lead into the equations of quantum gravity? Does it affect Casmir plates?

Not sure how this is handled.

I presume the energy is zero, and the transmission is zero, but the questionof differentiation between gravity vacuum fluctuations and quantification of interferered electromagnetic waves is a pet peeve I would like some clarification on.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing you wrote makes any sense.

• Antennas don't work that way.
  • Using a superconductor is unnecessary and irrelevant.
  • This has nothing to do with the Casimir Effect.

Ok let's try again with a bit more traditional thought.
I understand the basics of the double slit experiment.
I'm trying to imagine what would happen if one slit could operate at a 180 degree phase shift, or nearly that. The obvious answer is not much except between the slits, and even less if the distance between the slits is near the wave length.
My question is: Do the photons still exist despite not much happening (electromagnetically)?
A step further: Do photons which are canceled by another slit gone, or do they contribute to the vacuum energy or something like that?
I realize this is complicated by wave-particle duality etc...
I'm sure if I simplify like this, an outside the box question makes sense.

Last edited:

Related to Vacuum Energy and the Casmir Plate and Electromagnetics

1. What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy is a concept in quantum physics that refers to the potential energy of empty space. It is often associated with the Casimir effect, which is the attraction between two uncharged metallic plates in a vacuum.

2. How does the Casimir effect work?

The Casimir effect is caused by the fluctuations of virtual particles in a vacuum. These particles briefly pop into existence and then disappear, but their presence creates a difference in energy density between the space inside and outside of the plates, resulting in a net force of attraction between the plates.

3. What is the significance of the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is significant because it provides experimental evidence for the existence of vacuum energy and the fluctuations of virtual particles. It also has potential applications in technology, such as in the development of nanoscale devices and microelectromechanical systems.

4. Can the Casimir effect be explained by classical electromagnetics?

No, the Casimir effect cannot be fully explained by classical electromagnetics. It requires the use of quantum field theory to account for the fluctuations of virtual particles that contribute to the effect.

5. Is vacuum energy a potential source of energy for humans to use?

At this time, vacuum energy is not a viable source of energy for human use. The amount of energy present in a vacuum is incredibly small and difficult to harness. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may lead to the development of new ways to utilize vacuum energy in the future.