Vacuum cleaner in a weightless environment

In summary: As I thought about it more I realised that there was indeed a (tiny) backwards force on the sprinkler, but it would be swamped by other effects (eg slight asymmetry in the sprinkler, friction in the bearing, etc).In summary, the conversation discusses the direction in which an astronaut would be propelled if they were floating in space and turned on a powerful vacuum cleaner pointed directly ahead of them. The debate centers around whether the astronaut would be propelled forward or backward, with the conclusion that the astronaut would be propelled backward due to the air being sucked in and expelled out of the vacuum cleaner. The conversation also mentions the Feynman sprinkler experiment and the possibility of creating a product that functions as both a vacuum cleaner and a
Nantes
Sorry for the vague title, I really wish the title character limit was longer.

Suppose you are floating in space without gravity, but instead of a vacuum, there is air all around you. You turn on a powerful vacuum cleaner with the nozzle pointed directly ahead of you. Ignore torque/rotational effects. To which direction are you propelled, and why?

This is easy to imagine with something like a leaf-blower: the device thrusts air forward, the air will react with an equal and opposite force, and the person using the blower will be thrust backwards. But I'm having a really hard time justifying that because a vacuum cleaner does the reverse (suck air in), the person would develop forward momentum. It just doesn't seem right.

Assuming that's what happens, I'm having a hard time because I can't picture at what part of the process the air molecules would be able to react with an opposite force in a way that would propel the astronaut forwards. In fact, as I imagine it, as the air molecules hit the back of the vacuum cleaner after being sucked in, they would exert a force to the backwards direction, thus propelling the astronaut that way.

Is it that both ejecting and sucking in air propel you backwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "Feynman sprinkler".

Interesting, thanks! I'm baffled that, seemingly, no one tried to replicate Feynman's experiment in more precise and less explosive conditions since then.

My problem is slightly different though, as I'm ignoring torque by pointing the sucking nozzle exactly directly in front of the astronaut's center of mass. Would he simply not move at all?

Has no astronaut experimented with this in the International Space Station?

Nantes said:
Suppose you are floating in space without gravity, but instead of a vacuum, there is air all around you. You turn on a powerful vacuum cleaner with the nozzle pointed directly ahead of you. Ignore torque/rotational effects. To which direction are you propelled, and why?

This is easy to imagine with something like a leaf-blower: the device thrusts air forward, the air will react with an equal and opposite force, and the person using the blower will be thrust backwards. But I'm having a really hard time justifying that because a vacuum cleaner does the reverse (suck air in), the person would develop forward momentum. It just doesn't seem right.
In principle a vacuum cleaner and a leaf blower are the same thing and in reality some products are actually made to be both:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FREQBXE/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.shopvac.com/product/sho...-vacuum-with-detachable-blower-catnum:9314211

So consider that if air is going in one end it has to go out the other and re-assess...

Likes Droidriven, Bystander and jbriggs444
Oh, so there was the missing piece of the puzzle. I was ignoring that the air that was sucked in would have to come out somewhere! So the astronaut would be propelled to the opposite of the direction the outgoing air goes.

Thank you, kind sirs.

Likes davenn
jbriggs444 said:
Google "Feynman sprinkler".

Ha, that was my first thought. When I first saw it it was obvious to me that the sprinkler would not move, and I was somewhat surprised to note that the great man had got it wrong!

Related to Vacuum cleaner in a weightless environment

1. How does a vacuum cleaner work in a weightless environment?

In a weightless environment, a vacuum cleaner would not work in the same way as it does on Earth. Since there is no gravity to pull debris and dust into the vacuum, a different mechanism would be needed to collect and remove particles.

2. Can a vacuum cleaner be used in outer space?

Yes, a vacuum cleaner can be used in outer space. However, it would need to be specially designed and equipped with a different mechanism to collect debris and dust in a weightless environment.

3. How does a vacuum cleaner affect the air quality in a spacecraft or space station?

A vacuum cleaner in a weightless environment would not affect air quality in the same way as it does on Earth. Since there is no gravity to pull particles into the vacuum, it would not effectively remove them from the air. Other methods, such as filtration systems, would need to be used to maintain air quality.

4. Are there any vacuum cleaners specifically designed for use in space?

Yes, there are vacuum cleaners designed for use in space. These vacuum cleaners use different technologies, such as suction and compressed air, to collect and remove debris in a weightless environment.

5. How does a vacuum cleaner affect the overall cleanliness of a spacecraft or space station?

In a weightless environment, a vacuum cleaner would not be the most effective tool for maintaining cleanliness. Other cleaning methods, such as wiping surfaces, would be more useful in removing debris and dust from the environment.