A question about Infra-red Spectrum

• Thread starter biochemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the infrared spectrum is used to identify the compounds in a sample and to determine the structure of the compound.
biochemist
I'm a foreign student in England studying biochemistry, 1st year undergraduate. I did an experiment yesterday on infrared spectrum and was confused by the output diagram. I also don't know about how it works. Could anyone tell me how do I look and analyse the infrared spectrum diagram and what is the function of such technique, please. Waiting for your reply and many many thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well it’s mainly used for identification of compounds (putting them into right classes, easy id of functional groups, part of microanalysis with nmr, different chromatography’s etc.). Diagram shows specific absorption spectra of compound you’re working with… How does it works,, huh take a look at any organic chem. Or Physical chem. or some other book, it won't take you a lot of time (+ you should find something about rotational and vibration levels and spectra) …

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~webspectra/irtable.html

That's a table of the important IR absorption patterns. You look at the spectrum you received and you look for certain peaks. How I do it, and probably a lot of other people, is that I start with looking at around 1700 cm^-1, and if there's a sharp peak then that means there's a carbonyl group present in the sample. Then I looked to see if there were two peaks in the 1500-1600 area (I THINK it was that anyway, there was usually a peak at 1500, and another at 1600) and that meant there was a benzene ring involved. THen there was the usual crap with the sp3 C-H stretches at about 2900-3000. O-H stretches are pretty massive, I remember something like 2500-3600 or something like that, all due to H-bonding in solution (your sample was put in a solution of some solvent). ANyway, I think you get the idea. It really helps to know what you're expecting to get out of the spectrum. Seeing as how you did a lab and received this spectrum I'm guessing there's some kind of reaction involved that you performed. So you should know what you're getting as a result and just make the information from the spectrum correspond to what you've expected. And don't be so overwhelmed by every little peak there is, just look for what you're expecting.

Oh and some peaks are IR inactive, like C=C (sometimes) for example. But only if the dipole moment on the carbons don't change. eg. in ethene there is not change in the dipole moment because each carbon is bonded to the same thing, it's symmetric.
And another thign, don't be so intent on finding every peak from everything in the expected compound, many of the peaks are most likely overshadowed by other stronger groups.

Last edited:
Thank you very much!I'm clearer now!

1. What is the Infra-red Spectrum?

The Infra-red Spectrum is a range of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths longer than those of visible light, but shorter than those of radio waves. It is commonly used in spectroscopy to identify and study the chemical composition of substances.

2. How does the Infra-red Spectrum work?

The Infra-red Spectrum works by using infrared light to interact with the molecules of a substance. Each molecule has a unique vibration pattern, and when it absorbs infrared light, it causes the molecule to vibrate at a specific frequency. By measuring these vibrations, scientists can identify the types of bonds and functional groups present in a substance.

3. What are some practical applications of the Infra-red Spectrum?

The Infra-red Spectrum has numerous practical applications, including in forensics, environmental analysis, and pharmaceutical research. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage, petroleum, and plastics to analyze the chemical composition of products and ensure quality control.

4. How is the Infra-red Spectrum different from other types of spectroscopy?

The Infra-red Spectrum is different from other types of spectroscopy, such as UV-Visible or NMR, in that it measures the absorption of infrared light instead of other types of radiation. It is particularly useful for identifying and analyzing organic compounds, while other types of spectroscopy may be better suited for inorganic compounds.

5. What are the limitations of the Infra-red Spectrum?

One limitation of the Infra-red Spectrum is that it cannot identify all types of molecules, as some do not have significant infrared absorption. Additionally, the spectrum can be affected by impurities or contaminants in a sample, which may interfere with the accuracy of the results. It is important for scientists to carefully prepare and analyze samples to minimize these limitations.