UWaterloo vs Universities of Ottawa and Carleton

• Schools
  • Thread starter whatsssuppp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation discussed the options for a high school student in Ottawa, Ontario who is considering studying engineering. The student is deciding between staying in Ottawa at uOttawa or Carleton, which have good industry connections and offer scholarships and lower tuition, or going to uWaterloo for its reputation and co-op program, but with higher tuition and living expenses. The consensus is that all three universities offer good engineering education and co-op opportunities, and it ultimately depends on the student's priorities and preferences.
whatsssuppp
Hi everyone. I'm a high school student in Ottawa, Ontario. I am thinking about going into engineering.

Here in Ottawa there are 2 universities - uOttawa and Carleton. Both are good universities and have decent industry connections. If I choose to stay in my city then I will be much better off financially - both universities would offer scholarships of $4000/year and tuition is around $6000/year. I'll also be staying with my parents so that will save me a lot of money.

Then there is uWaterloo. Its tuition is around $10000/year and it MIGHT offer me $2000 worth of scholarship just for 1 year. I will also be spending lots of money on rent & food.

The only reason why I'm considering uWaterloo is because of its reputation and co-op program. If I stay in Ottawa and do co-op then I can only get 3 work terms. If I go to Waterloo, then I can get 6 work terms. This, and Waterloo's reputation might make it easier for me to get a job once I graduate. And that is what matters to me the most - getting a good job after university.

So, with all of this info in mind, please tell me how I should proceed. Is uWaterloo's reputation and co-op program worth the financial setback?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Waterloo definitely has some cachet, both here in Canada and abroad. However, the other universities in Canada aren't exactly chopped liver. After all, it's not as if only Waterloo grads get hired for engineering positions while Carleton and UOttawa engineering grads staff fast food restaurants. Actually, in this down economy, there's a good likelihood that there are some from all of the aforementioned schools doing that on at least a short-term basis (or working retail, or labour, or something similar).

As I've mentioned in some of my other posts here, Engineers Canada (the umbrella organization for the provincial engineering organizations, such as PEO or APEGGA) does a good job of ensuring that accredited engineering schools throughout Canada are on an even keel when it comes to delivering undergraduate engineering education. Co-op seems to be an important feature to you, so you'll be heartened to hear that both UOttawa and Carleton have co-op programs in addition to the traditional stream (a.k.a. hopefully finding an appropriate summer job yourself)

I don't believe that you can get a golden ticket from any of the above institutions--ultimately, it's up to you to take advantage of the opportunities afforded, and hopefully, you'll have enough karma / good luck to have opportunities go your way (and sometimes, it'll be drought, and sometimes, when it rains, it floods). The best advice I can give to you is to schmooze and network (not in a sleazy sense, but it definitely pays to keep an ear to the ground, to see what's out there, to refer suitable friends onto positions you yourself can't take, and to not burn bridges).

Good luck with your decision, and hopefully you have the luxury of choice (i.e. the grades and means to attend all the institutions in question--I think the total application fees for all three are like <$200).

I agree with MATLABdude. Carleton does have a 6-term co-op option, with the first summer being optional (so most do 5 terms). The engineers I have spoken to in Ottawa say the it will be a bit easier to find a job outside of Ottawa with a b.eng from Waterloo over Carleton (this is also true for large firms) but in Ottawa there is really no advantage. And if you're choosing between uOttawa and Carleton, it's Carleton no doubt!

You got some fairly good answers on reddit. If money and location is your concern then go to Carleton. If co-op is your concern (you'll earn money to pay off school) then go to Waterloo.

dav1d said:
Go to Waterloo, 10 000 is cheap, international students pay $100 000 lol. and COOP will definitely help you get a job in the crappy markets now.

Not quite $100k (based on their estimates), but if you're living in residence it's still pretty pricey, even if you're Canadian:
http://findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/financing/expenses.php

I don't know the local housing / renting market, nor the local cost of living, so I have no idea if you'd be able to substantially lower rent / "meal plan" by living off-campus.

EDIT: Did I mention the food will probably be better at the Mom'n'Pop Inn, as opposed to meal plan?

Related to UWaterloo vs Universities of Ottawa and Carleton

What are the main differences between the University of Waterloo and the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton?

The main difference between the University of Waterloo and the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton is their location. While the University of Waterloo is located in the city of Waterloo in Ontario, the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton are both located in the city of Ottawa, which is the capital of Canada. Another major difference is their areas of specialization. The University of Waterloo is known for its strong focus on math, engineering, and technology, while the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton have a wider range of programs including humanities, social sciences, and business.

What is the student population like at the University of Waterloo compared to the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton?

The University of Waterloo has a smaller student population compared to the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton. As of 2020, the University of Waterloo has around 36,000 students, while the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton have around 43,000 and 27,000 students respectively. However, the University of Waterloo has a higher percentage of international students, making up around 25% of the student population.

How do the tuition fees at the University of Waterloo compare to the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton?

The tuition fees at the University of Waterloo are generally higher compared to the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton. This is due to its focus on specialized programs and its reputation as a top university in Canada. However, each university has different tuition rates for different programs and for domestic and international students, so it is important to research and compare the specific fees for the program you are interested in.

What are the research opportunities like at the University of Waterloo compared to the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton?

The University of Waterloo is known for its strong focus on research, with a high level of funding and numerous research partnerships with industry and government. The Universities of Ottawa and Carleton also have strong research programs, but may not have the same level of funding and partnerships as the University of Waterloo. It is important to research the specific research opportunities in your field of study at each university to determine which one best fits your interests and goals.

How do the campus and student life differ between the University of Waterloo and the Universities of Ottawa and Carleton?

The campus and student life at each university are unique and offer different experiences. The University of Waterloo has a more modern and compact campus, with a strong focus on co-op programs and hands-on learning. The Universities of Ottawa and Carleton have larger and more traditional campuses, with a wide range of student clubs and organizations. It is important to visit each campus and speak with current students to get a better understanding of the campus and student life experience at each university.