How does popularity really work?

• Thread starter thevoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of popularity and its classification in mainstream culture. It was mentioned that an article in Scientific American explored the idea of scale-free networks, which can be seen in various fields such as computer networks, biology, and sociology. The conversation then shifted to a more philosophical discussion about popularity and its relation to losing one's own thoughts.
thevoid
no when you think of it is there really any way to classify popularity. when you think abou tif some has friends in truth they are popular but that is not how main stream culture works.

Physics news on Phys.org
There was an article in the May 2003 issue of Scientific American about scale-free networks. Scale-Free networks have been identified in the dispersal of many types of interrelationships. Basically, a Scale-free network is relational digraph representation of the relations between a group of objects where the degree of the object nodes follow some interesting mathematical trends. These types of graphs show up in computer networks, biology, and sociology: just to name a few.

http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/INSNA/Hot/scale_free.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-free_network

I think he subject could provide some interesting reading in relation to your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm,

not general engineering.

~off to philosophy

Last edited:
popularity is simply loosing your mind to let someone else think for you. That's how I view it anyhow.

Originally posted by Zantra
popularity is simply loosing your mind to let someone else think for you. That's how I view it anyhow.

Spoken like a true geek!

Sorry: socially-challenged .

Actually, I completely agree with you, but can't say that to anyone since they usually tell me exactly what I just told you .

haha uve got no friends!

What factors contribute to someone's popularity?

There are several factors that can contribute to someone's popularity, including their personality, appearance, social skills, and level of influence or power. Additionally, cultural and societal norms can also play a role in determining who is considered popular.

Can someone become popular overnight?

While it is possible for someone to gain popularity quickly through viral fame or a sudden change in their circumstances, true popularity is typically built over time through consistent efforts and interactions with others.

Is popularity a measure of someone's worth?

No, popularity is not a measure of someone's worth. Being popular does not necessarily equate to being a good person, and someone's value should not be based on their level of popularity.

Can popularity be manufactured or manipulated?

Yes, to a certain extent, popularity can be manufactured or manipulated through tactics such as buying followers or using other means to increase one's visibility. However, true, lasting popularity is typically earned through genuine connections and interactions with others.

How does social media impact popularity?

Social media can have a significant impact on popularity, as it allows individuals to connect with a larger audience and gain visibility and influence. However, it can also create a false sense of popularity and can be a source of pressure and anxiety for those seeking to be popular.