Using vectors as a function of time

In summary, to find the time when P points in the +x direction, you set the coefficient of j in the given equation equal to zero, which gives you an equation to solve for t. Then, to calculate the magnitude of P at that time, you use the given values to plug into the equation for magnitude. To find the time when P makes an angle of -45 degrees with the +x axis, you set the ratio of the coefficients of j and i in the given equation equal to -1, which gives you another equation to solve for t. Then, to find the magnitude of P at that time, you again use the given values to plug into the equation for magnitude.
PAstudent

Homework Statement

Vector P is a function of time t.

In a specified coordinate system P is given by: P= (A+Bt)i + (A+Ct-Dt^2)j and P is in meters when t is seconds

Given these values (shown without their units): A=15.0, B=7.00, C=20.0, D=4.00

(a) Calculate the time when P points in the +x direction.

(b) Calculate the magnitude of P at the time calculated in part a.

(c) Calculate the time when P make an angle of -45 degrees with the +x axis.

(d) Calculate the magnitude of P at the time calculated in part c.

Homework Equations

magnitude= sqrt( quantities squared added together)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am mostly confused on part a and c. So for a, would you find where t=0 in the j direction which would leave you with only the i direction which is the +x? For part c, would have something to do with dot product because it includes an angle of 45 degrees?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
The convention is that i represents the x direction and j the y direction.
So for P to point in the x direction the coefficient of j in your equation must be zero. So you need to find what value of t makes that coefficient zero.

For c the ratio of coefficient of j to coefficient of i has to be -1 (think of the angle that the line from (0,0) to (1,-1) makes with the x axis), so that gives you another equation to solve.

Likes PAstudent
Thank you, I will try that soon

So for a) 15.0+20.0t-4.00t^2=0 then that comes to 5.66 seconds
b) sqrt(15.0+7.00 x 5.66)= 54.6 m

PAstudent said:
So for a) 15.0+20.0t-4.00t^2=0 then that comes to 5.66 seconds
b) sqrt(15.0+7.00 x 5.66)= 54.6 m
Looks about right, except for the mention of the 'sqrt(' function.

Related to Using vectors as a function of time

1. What are vectors and how are they used as a function of time?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used as a function of time to describe the change in position of an object over time. This allows us to track the movement of an object in a specific direction, as well as its speed and acceleration.

2. How are vectors represented and manipulated as a function of time?

Vectors are typically represented graphically as arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. As a function of time, vectors can be manipulated using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication to determine the overall change in position of an object over time.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector as a function of time?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. As a function of time, scalars describe quantities that change over time, such as speed, whereas vectors describe both the magnitude and direction of a change in position over time.

4. How can vectors as a function of time be applied in real-world situations?

Vectors as a function of time can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to analyze and predict the motion of objects, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the movement of a vehicle, or the path of a satellite.

5. What are some common applications of vectors as a function of time in physics?

Vectors as a function of time are used extensively in physics, such as in the study of motion, forces, and energy. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in various scenarios, such as free fall, circular motion, and projectile motion. Vectors are also essential in understanding and solving problems related to forces, such as calculating net force and determining equilibrium.