Using vector notation describe a triangle

In summary: We have to show both directions because $K$ and $M$ are the midpoints of the vectors $\overrightarrow{a}$ and $\overrightarrow{b}$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Using vector notation describe a triangle ( in space ) that has as vertices the origin and the endpoints of the vectors $\overrightarrow{a}$ and $\overrightarrow{b}$.

Could you tell me what I am supposed to do?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Using vector notation describe a triangle ( in space ) that has as vertices the origin and the endpoints of the vectors $\overrightarrow{a}$ and $\overrightarrow{b}$.

Could you tell me what I am supposed to do?? (Wondering)

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ is a vector starting at (0, 0, 0) and ending at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( a_x , a_y , a_z \right) \end{align*}$, and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$ is a vector starting at (0, 0, 0) and ending at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x, b_y, b_z \right) \end{align*}$.

Obviously two of the sides of the triangle are the vectors $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$. What is the final side? i.e. can you write a vector that starts at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( a_x, a_y, a_z \right) \end{align*}$ and ends at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x, b_y, b_z \right) \end{align*}$?

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ is a vector starting at (0, 0, 0) and ending at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( a_x , a_y , a_z \right) \end{align*}$, and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$ is a vector starting at (0, 0, 0) and ending at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x, b_y, b_z \right) \end{align*}$.

Obviously two of the sides of the triangle are the vectors $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$. What is the final side? i.e. can you write a vector that starts at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( a_x, a_y, a_z \right) \end{align*}$ and ends at $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x, b_y, b_z \right) \end{align*}$?

The final side is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x-a_x, b_y-a_y, b_z-a_z \right) \end{align*}$, right?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The final side is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( b_x-a_x, b_y-a_y, b_z-a_z \right) \end{align*}$, right?? (Wondering)

Yes, and can you write this in terms of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$?

Prove It said:
Yes, and can you write this in terms of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b} \end{align*}$?

Is it $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ ?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is it $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a} \end{align*}$ ?? (Wondering)

Yes :)

I see... Thanks! (Smile)

The prof showed us an other way to solve it...

View attachment 4038

$\overrightarrow{v}=\overrightarrow{OK}=t\overrightarrow{OM}, 0 \leq t \leq 1$

$\overrightarrow{OM}=s \overrightarrow{a}+(1-s)\overrightarrow{b}, 0 \leq s \leq 1$

So, $\overrightarrow{v}=(ts)\overrightarrow{a}+t(1-s)\overrightarrow{b}=x \overrightarrow{a}+y \overrightarrow{b}$
where $x=ts, y=t(1-s)$
and therefore $x \geq 0, y \geq 0, x+y \leq 1$. Conversely, if $\overrightarrow{v}=x\overrightarrow{a}+y\overrightarrow{b}, x \geq 0, y \geq 0, x+y \leq 1$ then we set $t=x+y$ then $0 \leq t \leq 1$, and $s=\frac{x}{t}$, so $1-s=\frac{y}{t}$, and so $0 \leq s \leq 1$ and $\overrightarrow{v}=t(s\overrightarrow{a}+(1-s)\overrightarrow{b})$
So, $K$ belongs to the triangle. Could you explain to me this way?? (Wondering)

Why do we have to show both directions?? (Wondering)

Attachments

• triangle.png
    triangle.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 54
Why do we take the points $K$ and $M$ ?? (Wondering)

Related to Using vector notation describe a triangle

1. What is vector notation?

Vector notation is a way of representing mathematical quantities, such as position, velocity, and force, using arrows and numbers. It allows us to describe the magnitude and direction of a quantity in a concise and precise way.

2. How is a triangle described using vector notation?

A triangle can be described using vector notation by specifying the coordinates of its three vertices. This can be done using either Cartesian coordinates (x, y) or polar coordinates (r, θ). Alternatively, the triangle can be described by the lengths of its sides and the angles between them.

3. How do vectors represent the sides of a triangle?

Each side of a triangle can be represented by a vector, with the starting point at one vertex and the ending point at the opposite vertex. The magnitude of the vector is equal to the length of the side, and the direction of the vector is parallel to the side.

4. Can vector notation be used to calculate the area of a triangle?

Yes, vector notation can be used to calculate the area of a triangle. The area of a triangle can be found by taking half the magnitude of the cross product of two of its sides. This can be represented using the formula A = 1/2 |a x b|, where a and b are the vectors representing the two sides.

5. How is the perimeter of a triangle represented in vector notation?

The perimeter of a triangle can be represented using the sum of the magnitudes of its three sides. In vector notation, this can be written as P = |a| + |b| + |c|, where a, b, and c are the vectors representing the sides of the triangle.