Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Using the Multi-Quote This Message feature

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello, I noticed earlier today that I could not get the Multi-Quote This Message feature to work. Here is a picture to illustrate what I tried:

multiquote.png

But, the quote within the post I was quoting was not included; it behaved as if I had not clicked the Multi-Quote This Message button. Am I omitting a step? This is the first time I have tried using this feature.

A search here reveals that perhaps I am misunderstanding what this feature is intended to do. Is it for quoting more than one post simultaneously, and not for quoting multiple layers, i.e., quotes within quotes?

I suspect this is the case, but felt it would be good for this to be made clear for others that may interpret this feature the way I did. (Star)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hello, I noticed earlier today that I could not get the Multi-Quote This Message feature to work. Here is a picture to illustrate what I tried:

But, the quote within the post I was quoting was not included; it behaved as if I had not clicked the Multi-Quote This Message button. Am I omitting a step? This is the first time I have tried using this feature.

A search here reveals that perhaps I am misunderstanding what this feature is intended to do. Is it for quoting more than one post simultaneously, and not for quoting multiple layers, i.e., quotes within quotes?

I suspect this is the case, but felt it would be good for this to be made clear for others that may interpret this feature the way I did. (Star)
Yes. The feature is to quote multiple posts.
It only works if you click multi-quote on a number of posts, and then click reply-with-quote on yet another post.

As far as I know, there is no normal way to quote a quote-within-a-quote.
What does work, is to edit the post (which has come into my ability since I have become a staff member ;)), making it possible to get access to the quote-within-a-quote.
You can also select all the text within a post, but then you have to restore the quotes and any formulas manually.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've found something that will include nested quotes when you quote a member's post. I'll get around to installing it later today (tonight most likely if I don't get it done within the hour) and test things out. (Bigsmile)

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It only works if you click multi-quote on a number of posts, and then click reply-with-quote on yet another post.

What does work, is to edit the post (which has come into my ability since I have become a staff member ;)), making it possible to get access to the quote-within-a-quote.
You can also select all the text within a post, but then you have to restore the quotes and any formulas manually.
It'll work on a single post, as far as I know. At least, it did for me. Did you try clicking on the Reply to Thread button, to see if that worked?

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

Testing nested quote mod. It seems to work!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
On another vBulletin forum, quoting always includes quotes. But to be honest, I find that a bit bothersome, since I usually do not want to do that, and it forces me to delete the quotes.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
It'll work on a single post, as far as I know. At least, it did for me. Did you try clicking on the Reply to Thread button, to see if that worked?
It appears Chris just switched on some vBulletin option to always quote.
So I can't be sure if multi-quote combined with reply-to-thread has a different effect.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
After installing the mod, I noticed that it will automatically nest quotes indefinitely. However, we can set a limit as to how many quotes are nested when you quote a post. What do you think would be a reasonable number? I'm thinking 2-3 since any more than that in my opinion would start cluttering threads.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
So I can't be sure if multi-quote combined with reply-to-thread has a different effect.
Crap, I have a feeling something happened when I installed that plugin. I disabled it and it still isn't going back to our original set up. I'm trying to fix this ASAP.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
After installing the mod, I noticed that it will automatically nest quotes indefinitely. However, we can set a limit as to how many quotes are nested when you quote a post. What do you think would be a reasonable number? I'm thinking 2-3 since any more than that in my opinion would start cluttering threads.
Exactly 1 would be nice in my opinion.
Sometimes it clarifies when a quote-within-a-quote is taken along.
In my experience a 2nd level is never helpful.
And if a 2nd level is wanted for some reason, a poster can do that by (multi-)quoting the previous post.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Crap, I have a feeling something happened when I installed that plugin. I disabled it and it still isn't going back to our original set up. I'm trying to fix this ASAP.
It seems to be working as before...I was gone when the mod was installed, so I didn't test it.

I think indefinite nesting would be cumbersome, but perhaps the option to nest one level could be useful, but as mentioned there are ways to overcome it anyway. I really just wanted to clarify what the multi-quote feature does. In the past I had always manually quoted multiple posts (being trained on phpBB forums), and so I had no experience with the multi-quote feature. :D

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I seems to be working as before...I was gone when the mod was installed, so I didn't test it.

I think indefinite nesting would be cumbersome, but perhaps the option to nest one level could be useful, but as mentioned there are ways to overcome it anyway. I really just wanted to clarify what the multi-quote feature does. In the past I had always manually quoted multiple posts (being trained on phpBB forums), and so I had no experience with the multi-quote feature. :D
I'm afraid I'm confused. What's the current status of the mod? The reply button is definitely there, and it seems to work normally. On the other hand, nested quotes don't seem to be working, unless I am missing how to do that. Do you check the multi-quote box to get that?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'm afraid I'm confused. What's the current status of the mod? The reply button is definitely there, and it seems to work normally. On the other hand, nested quotes don't seem to be working, unless I am missing how to do that. Do you check the multi-quote box to get that?
From what I can tell, the mod must have been uninstalled, and everything works as before. Perhaps Chris can confirm or elaborate. :D

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I uninstalled the nested quotes when I noticed that the reply button in the footer of each post disappeared. If it's back, then that means that the mod is doing something funky. I'm currently on tapatalk so I can't see what the footer of each post looks like, but I'll try installing the nested quotes mod once more when I get home in about a half hour.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Alright, I've reinstalled it. Let's see how it fairs now.

[HR][/HR]
On another vBulletin forum, quoting always includes quotes. But to be honest, I find that a bit bothersome, since I usually do not want to do that, and it forces me to delete the quotes.
Hm, it seems that you can quote multiple posts. It also seems that the max nested quote restriction applies to each quote block separately.

EDIT: Nested Quote mod is disabled until further testing is done.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Alright, I've reinstalled it. Let's see how it fairs now.

[HR][/HR]

Hm, it seems that you can quote multiple posts. It also seems that the max nested quote restriction applies to each quote block separately.
I seem to be able to reply just fine, nested quotes and all. Maybe the lack of a reply button is Tapatalk only?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I suggest pausing this experiment for now. :) We should resume after some more behind the scenes testing.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Alright, after testing things out, I've enabled the mod/hack again. I've set the maximum number of nested quotes to be 2; it turns out that if it was set on 1, it would indefinitely nest quotes (which is something we don't want because it will add unnecessary clutter).

Here's my sample run done behind the scenes with the cap of 2 nested quotes enforced:

As you can see in the last quoted post, the very first post I made was not quoted, which was to be expected.

Quote blocks that are generated when you quote multiple posts in a reply are affected by this cap. That is, if someone has 3 different quote blocks in their post, then when you click on quote, only 2 of the three blocks will be quoted. If you make complicated looking posts with a bunch of quote blocks, weird things may happen like seen below:

Here's the sample multi-quoted & nested quoted post:

Here's the result after quoting a lot of times:

As you can see from above, it seems to not work properly due to the inner most quoted block.

The moral of the story, to me, is that it's not 100% perfect, but it gets the job done when things are kept simple. Let's give things a try for now, and if it doesn't work out that well for you guys, let me know and we'll look into other alternatives. (Bigsmile)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi Chris, :)

Nice to see you trying out the nested quote feature. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel this a bit of overcomplicating things. I vote for the previous setting, with no nested quotes. It's just simple and nice. :) The new setting forces you to nested quote something (unless you delete the nested quotes manually) and multi-quotes produces weird things if it's complicated. Maybe another idea would be to implement nested quotes as a optional setting (that is if a member needs (s)he can use nested quotes), but I dunno whether this is possible. I am not against using nested quotes but it's just that I feel the previous setting was better. :)

Just my two cents. :)

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi Chris, :)

Nice to see you trying out the nested quote feature. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel this a bit of overcomplicating things. I vote for the previous setting, with no nested quotes. It's just simple and nice. :) The new setting forces you to nested quote something (unless you delete the nested quotes manually) and multi-quotes produces weird things if it's complicated. Maybe another idea would be to implement nested quotes as a optional setting (that is if a member needs (s)he can use nested quotes), but I dunno whether this is possible. I am not against using nested quotes but it's just that I feel the previous setting was better. :)

Just my two cents. :)
Thanks for the feedback, Sudharaka! Unfortunately, there isn't an option that makes the use of nested quotes optional to members. With that said, is there anyone else that has a similar opinion about this hack? If there are enough of you who have similar feelings to Sudharaka, I'll go head and disable the hack until I find something better with more flexibility. :)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, Sudharaka! Unfortunately, there isn't an option that makes the use of nested quotes optional to members. With that said, is there anyone else that has a similar opinion about this hack? If there are enough of you who have similar feelings to Sudharaka, I'll go head and disable the hack until I find something better with more flexibility.
Yes. I agree with Sudharaka. I was already thinking of posting a similar comment.

Usually I only quote to make it clear what I am responding to (and to be able to see myself what I'm responding to ;)).
It's only in exceptional cases that a normal quote is not enough to make that clear (or I might want to copy and paste something that was quoted).

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the feedback, Sudharaka! Unfortunately, there isn't an option that makes the use of nested quotes optional to members. With that said, is there anyone else that has a similar opinion about this hack? If there are enough of you who have similar feelings to Sudharaka, I'll go head and disable the hack until I find something better with more flexibility.
Yes. I agree with Sudharaka. I was already thinking of posting a similar comment.

Usually I only quote to make it clear what I am responding to (and to be able to see myself what I'm responding to ;)).
It's only in exceptional cases that a normal quote is not enough to make that clear (or I might want to copy and paste something that was quoted).
I would agree also...if a mod is found that gives users the option whether to nest quotes or not then we could look at using that. I think having them automatically nested will be more of a hassle than a benefit to our users in general.

From my own experience, it is rare that I want to nest quotes, so most of the time I would be removing them when present.

I do want to thank you for looking into this though. (Yes)

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

I would agree also...if a mod is found that gives users the option whether to nest quotes or not then we could look at using that. I think having them automatically nested will be more of a hassle than a benefit to our users in general.

From my own experience, it is rare that I want to nest quotes, so most of the time I would be removing them when present.

I do want to thank you for looking into this though. (Yes)
Thanks for the feedback guys! If there are no objections, I'll go ahead and disable the hack.

Update: Hack has been disabled.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
If I want to use a nested quote, I usually use the multi-quote feature and then cut and paste one quote inside the other. That only works if both quotes occur unnested somewhere in a thread. If I want to reply to an entry that contains a quote from another site, say, then I have to retrieve it using my browser's View Source feature.

I don't see much advantage in having nested quotes appear automatically.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Cool idea, but I think the consensus is it's more common to not want nested quote so I'll mark this thread [SOLVED] for now. :)