Using the Fourier Transform on Partitioned Images

In summary, using Fast Fourier Transform on portions of an image will not yield the same result as using it on the whole image. This is due to lower frequency resolution and potential edge effects. To still process a large image with limited memory, one can read and write portions of the image to and from the hard disc, though this may be slower.
ecastro
If I cut my image into several portions and use the Fast Fourier Transform on each portioned image, will I achieve the same result as if I used Fast Fourier Transform on the whole image?

I have this concern because I need to process a large image using the Fast Fourier Transform, the problem is that my computer lacks available memory to do the calculation.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you will not get the same result. The resolution in frequency depends on the total length, so cutting the image will lower your resolution. There might also be edge effects, depending on what you do in the frequency domain.

A 2D FT is simply a combination of 1D FTs along each row and column. What you could do is read the image one row at a time, FT it, and write out the result to a file. Then reread that file column by column, again performing a FT one column at a time. That way, you do not need the entire image in memory at any time.

ecastro said:
will I achieve the same result as if I used Fast Fourier Transform on the whole image?
No, of course you will not, simply because you are transforming different images.
You can calculate the "mean" value of the 0. harmonic for all partial images in the whole image, but for other harmonics you cannot.

Why don't you use the hard disc as memory, reading e.g. a line into memory, calculate the FFT and write it back to the hard disc, thereafter reading rows into memory, calulate the FFT and write them back to hard disc.

I know this method is a lot slower, however it could be done within reasonable time.

Related to Using the Fourier Transform on Partitioned Images

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to break down a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It is often used in image processing to analyze an image's spatial frequencies.

2. How does the Fourier Transform work on partitioned images?

The Fourier Transform can be applied to partitioned images by breaking the image into smaller segments and then applying the transform to each segment individually. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the frequency components within the image.

3. What are the benefits of using the Fourier Transform on partitioned images?

Using the Fourier Transform on partitioned images allows for a more accurate analysis of the frequency components within an image. It also allows for more targeted adjustments to be made to specific areas of the image.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform on partitioned images?

One limitation of using the Fourier Transform on partitioned images is that it can be computationally expensive, particularly if the image is divided into many small segments. Additionally, the results can be affected by the size and placement of the partitions.

5. What are some practical applications of using the Fourier Transform on partitioned images?

The Fourier Transform on partitioned images can be used in a variety of applications, including image compression, noise reduction, and image enhancement. It is also commonly used in medical imaging and remote sensing technologies.