Using the Double Slit Experiment & encoding photons with binary data

In summary, Joe Fiero is an aspiring scientist who has been trying to build a quantum paradox experiment. He has run into some electrical problems, but is still determined to finish the experiment. He is looking into weak coupling, Boise einstein condensate, and understanding decoherence.
Joseph Fiero
My name is Joe Fiero. Ever since I was a little kid, I loved science, especially science fiction. Sliders, Back to the future, Star Trek. I never had a chance to get a degree in the things I loved the most because I came from a poor family... which has lead me to a path of self education and discovery as a hobby. I now like to think I am an aspiring scientist of all sciences and a creative artist.

So, here is my request for help from the professionals here and please excuse my lack of formal education.

I have ran into a problem trying to finish my science application based on a thought experiment I had "What if we encode photons with binary data, and send them through the double slit experiment and capture all those particles created by the wave interference pattern. Will we see the same data being distributed through all the photons created in the interference pattern?" or am I just wasting my time here?

Well whatever the case I'm too dumb to know I can't do it so I just went ahead and started it anyways... :)

So far:
I have successfully built a USB photon transmitter and receiver. The receiver is a clear box that the laser shoots photons into towards the infrared sensors. This box will contain the double slit experiment and at the end of the clear box I will have FIVE infrared photo-transistors instead of just one as shown in this video. I have to finish the rest of the input/output ports and complete my software application along with "installing" the double slit experiment into my clear box but I ran into electrical problems with the infrared photo-transistors working correctly.

(I have a video of my device, see the device go to youtube and type "Quantum Experiment 1") and I'm the first video.

or click here:

My main experiment will be to send photons that carry data through the double slit experiment in order to capture the wave interface pattern and see if the data is the same, disappears or gives me paradox.

I ran into a problem with installing 5 infrared sensors and making them work all at the same time and want to make sure I replicate the double slit experiment correctly too.

Is there a quantum physicist or electrical engineer expert that would like to work together to finish the experiment? We can share the noble prize if we discover something, ;) lol.Best Regards,
Joseph Fiero

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Fiero said:
"What if we encode photons with binary data, and send them through the double slit experiment and capture all those particles created by the wave interference pattern. Will we see the same data being distributed through all the photons created in the interference pattern?"
What do you mean by "encoding photons with binary data"? Something like sending individual photons e.g. polarised horizontally (0) or vertically (1) and detecting their polarisation afterwards?

If so - of course, the data will be preserved.
You send one photon at time. And you obderve hits, each such hit is described as a pair: (polarisation, position). The photon hits some point on the screen, and its polarisation may be measured together with its position. So you will measure a series of photons, hitting different points on the screen, but polarisation of each of them will be the same as it was coded on entry. They will form a pattern - normal double-slit fringe.

Those two are totally independent.

Thank you very much for the reply! :) I was anxiously waiting for expert advice all day yesterday!

Could you point me to some literature to understand if we polarized the individual photon, horizontally or vertically, why it would remain the same throughout the experiment?

Again, I'm sorry for my lack of understanding and I'm very grateful for your time in answering my questions.

Humbly Yours,
Joe

Literature... Hard to find... as there is no reason why double-slit experiment could affect polarisation. It is really difficult to find a literature explaining why something does not affect something else.

XTS, thanks again, I believe I am now on the right path. Thank you for your response as it has proven to be of most useful to me.

I think I'm starting to understand what I need to do because at first I guess I did not.

I'm looking into "Weak coupling", boise einstein condensate to slow down ions and also trying to understand have a better understanding of decoherence, charged atoms to encode them with data.

Maybe I'm going crazy but I'm determined to create a quantum paradox experiment in which we will shoot a particle, and have another particle give us the opposite choice of what we could have made, in other words, I send "0" I get back "1" and then take that to the next level. I believe in the many-worlds interpretation and we have reached a point where have to figure out other ways to find out if these multi-dimensions exist, beyond what everyone is trying to mathematically discover.

Related to Using the Double Slit Experiment & encoding photons with binary data

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a famous experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shooting a beam of light through two parallel slits onto a screen and observing the interference pattern that is created.

2. How does the Double Slit Experiment relate to encoding photons with binary data?

The Double Slit Experiment can be used to encode photons with binary data by introducing a third slit that acts as a "switch" to turn the interference pattern on or off. By changing the position of the third slit, the interference pattern can be manipulated to represent 0s and 1s, allowing for the encoding of binary data onto photons.

3. What is the significance of encoding photons with binary data?

Encoding photons with binary data has potential applications in quantum computing and secure communication. By using photons, which are difficult to intercept and manipulate, as carriers of information, it allows for more secure and efficient data transmission.

4. How does the encoding process work in the Double Slit Experiment?

The encoding process in the Double Slit Experiment involves using a binary code to determine the position of the third slit, which will either allow the interference pattern to be seen (representing a 1) or block the pattern (representing a 0). This code can be repeated multiple times to encode a sequence of bits onto the photons.

5. What are the limitations of using the Double Slit Experiment for encoding photons?

One limitation is that the experiment requires precise positioning and manipulation of the slits, which can be difficult to achieve. Additionally, the interference pattern can be disrupted by external factors, such as vibrations or changes in temperature, which can affect the accuracy of the encoding process.