Using the complex susceptibility in E dot J

In summary, the dot product of E and J is related to the absorption term (χ'') and independent of the real part (χ') as shown by the equation P(ω)=ε0*χ(ω)*E(ω). This is derived by taking the Fourier transform of the polarization equation (II) and the given electric field and using the fact that J(ω)=iωP(ω). The time averaging can be done using the given relation <AB>=0.5*Re{A⋅B*}.
MMS

Homework Statement

Use the complex susceptibility
USEBzI3.png

to prove that the dot product of E and J is related to the absorption term (the imaginary part - χ'') and independent of the real part (χ').
It is also stated that in order to do is, assume monochromatic field
2T4sQxb.png

and take the absorption time average of <E dot J>.
Remember that when using phasor notation temporal averaging is given by <AB>=0.5*Re{A⋅B*}. You may use the relation
Jpolarization=∂_t (P) and assume no external currents.

Homework Equations

(I)
86PSG2k.png

(II)
MNfqPll.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a couple of things

1. I wrote E(ω)=E(t)*exp(-iωt), plugged it into the polarization equation (II) and then took the time derivative of it to calculate Jpolarization. I took the dot product of it with E(t), time averaged and still got dependence of
χ'.

2. I assumed (even though I'm pretty now it's wrong) P(t)=ε0*χ(ω)*E(t), plugged it the given electric field, took the time derivative and then time averaged it. I get an expression independent of χ' as required, however, I believe it's wrong as the expression P(ω)=ε0*χ(ω)*E(ω) is only correct in the frequency domain. In the time domain it isn't correct. Moreover, the expression P(ω)=ε0*χ(ω)*E(ω) is derived by taking the Fourier transform on both sides of (I) and what I did is like going backwards in an incorrect way.

3. I tried working out something with equation (I) and the given electric field but it just got more complicated.

Help would be much appreciated as this question is starting slowly kill me on the inside and already took me a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for ## P(\omega) ## should prove useful. You also need to write the equation for ## J(\omega) ## that you get from taking the F.T. of ## J(t)=dP(t)/dt ##.

Related to Using the complex susceptibility in E dot J

1. What is the complex susceptibility in E dot J?

The complex susceptibility in E dot J is a measure of how easily a material responds to an external electric field. It is a complex number that includes both the real and imaginary parts of the material's response.

2. How is the complex susceptibility calculated?

The complex susceptibility is calculated by dividing the electric displacement vector (D) by the electric field vector (E). This gives a complex ratio that describes the material's response to the applied electric field.

3. What is the significance of using the complex susceptibility in E dot J?

The complex susceptibility in E dot J is important for understanding the behavior of materials in electromagnetic fields. It allows us to quantify the material's ability to store and transfer energy, as well as its response to different frequencies of electric fields.

4. How does the complex susceptibility affect the behavior of materials?

The complex susceptibility can greatly influence the dielectric properties of a material, such as its permittivity and conductivity. It also plays a role in the material's ability to absorb, reflect, or transmit electromagnetic radiation.

5. Can the complex susceptibility change under different conditions?

Yes, the complex susceptibility can change depending on various factors such as temperature, frequency, and applied electric field strength. This is because the material's response to the electric field is not constant and can be affected by external factors.