Using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian

In summary, if you need help using Maple or other software for finding eigenvalues of the energy using the Hamiltonian, I suggest consulting with your professor and colleagues, as well as doing some background research on the topic.
4finger
This is my first time posting in this forum, or any, so I'm sorry if something is out of place.

I'm doing undergrad research with a professor on quantum supercomputing and I need to use some software to find the eigenvalues of the energy using the Hamiltonian. He suggested I used maplesoft or this applet but I don't understand how these programs work.
http://fermi.la.asu.edu/schmidt/applets/seqn/plugschroedinger.html

My knowledge in this area doesn't extend very far. I've taken modern physics where I learned in general about quantum mechanics but not in depth. They mentioned that the Hamiltonian operator exists but never used it, I also saw it in classical mechanics. That's also where I learned about eigenfunctions while studying angular momentum. We solved it by taking the determinant but that only works for a discrete case and the Hamiltonian is continuous. I wouldn't know how to find the eigenvalues for a simple potential such as V=x or even V=5 let alone for this complicated one. I'm taking full quantum mechanics this term but that class only starts on 9/13.

The potential is roughly (x-y)^2/7.44 - cos(x), where x is the variable and y is the external flux. It comes from this article
http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~martinisgroup/papers/Kofman2007.pdf
From what I understand, I have to find the value of the flux that will create a potential such that the left well will have 3 energy states and I need to find out exactly what those states are. It's not possible analytically so I have to use some kind of program for it. I'm still trying to figure it out using Maple and the applet. I can get a graph of the potential but I don't understand how the rest of the applet works.

Can someone please tell me how I can use Maple, or any other software for this. Or can you at least guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's great to see someone interested in quantum supercomputing and taking on undergraduate research in this field. Don't worry about anything being out of place, we are all here to help and support each other in our scientific endeavors.

In terms of using Maple or other software for finding eigenvalues of the energy using the Hamiltonian, I would suggest reaching out to your professor or other colleagues who may have more experience with these programs. They can provide you with specific instructions and guidance on how to use the software for this particular problem.

In general, Maple is a computer algebra system that can perform mathematical computations and symbolic calculations. It has a wide range of functions and capabilities, including solving differential equations and finding eigenvalues. The applet you mentioned also seems to be a useful tool for solving the Schrodinger equation for a given potential.

Since you mentioned that you have taken modern physics and are currently taking full quantum mechanics, I would also suggest consulting with your professors or TAs for guidance on how to approach this problem. They can provide you with a better understanding of the Hamiltonian operator and how to use it to find eigenvalues for a given potential.

Finally, I would also recommend doing some background research on the potential you are working with, as well as on the methods and techniques used in quantum supercomputing. This will not only help you in understanding the problem better, but also in using Maple or other software more effectively.

Best of luck with your research and feel free to reach out to the forum for any further questions or concerns. We are all here to support each other's scientific pursuits.

Related to Using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian

1. What is the purpose of using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

Using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian allows scientists to accurately predict the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a quantum system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level.

2. What is a Hamiltonian and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system. In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to describe the time evolution of a system and is crucial in calculating the system's eigenvalues and eigenstates.

3. How does software solve for eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

Software uses numerical methods, such as the matrix diagonalization method or the power method, to solve for eigenvalues of Hamiltonian. These methods involve creating a matrix representation of the Hamiltonian and then using algorithms to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. The accuracy of the results depends on the size of the matrix and the complexity of the Hamiltonian.

4. What are the limitations of using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

One limitation is that software can only solve for the eigenvalues of relatively small Hamiltonian matrices. As the size and complexity of the Hamiltonian increase, the time and computational power required also increase. Additionally, software may not be able to accurately handle systems with degenerate energy levels or systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians.

5. What are some real-world applications of using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian?

Software that can solve for eigenvalues of Hamiltonian is used in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to study the electronic properties of molecules and materials, predict the behavior of quantum systems, and aid in the development of new technologies such as quantum computers. It also has applications in understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions.