Using Snell's law to find the entering/exiting rays' angles

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question that involves finding the angle of entering/exiting rays in a prism with a cross section of an isosceles right triangle. The conversation highlights the use of Snell's law and the need for geometry to determine the angle. The solution is explained, with the use of base angles and the figure provided, to find the necessary angles and ultimately arrive at the correct answer.
anthesco

Homework Statement

This is one of my homework questions. I think I have the right answer, but I don't understand how to figure out the "given" angle, so if someone could explain it to me, that would be great! Be sure to look at the picture attached...it's what's tricking me.

A prism whose cross section is shaped like an isosceles right triangle is made from a material with index of refraction, n = 1.31. Find the angle θ of the entering/exiting rays that travel parallel to the lower side (in degrees).

Homework Equations

Snell's law, n1*sin[itex]\theta[/itex]1=n2*sin[itex]\theta[/itex]2

The Attempt at a Solution

n1=1.31
n2=1
[itex]\theta[/itex]1=45°

1.31*sin[itex]\theta[/itex]1=1*sin[itex]\theta[/itex]2

[itex]\theta[/itex]2=67.867

What I need to know is how to figure out that the first angle is 45°.

Attachments

• prism 2.png
    prism 2.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,188
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any attached pictures.

If θ1 is given and you have to find the angle of the exiting ray w.r.t. the normal, then you only require some geometry here as the ray travels parallel to the base.

(Hint:Construct the normals on the faces until they meet)

What are the base angles?

Then use plane geometry to figure theta1, the angle between the normal to the left side of the prism and the horizontal ray inside said prism.

I'm unsure of the base angles, it isn't given to us. I now realize that I use 45 deg because you're supposed to use the top angle of the triangle (so, where the right angle is) and divide that by two, but I don't understand why you use that angle over all the other ones...

Sum of angles = 180 and you're given the top one = 90. Considering the two sides are of equal length, don't you think you can come up with the base angles?

Then look at the figure you provided us and you should be able to figure out the angle between the normal to the left side and the flat beam section inside. If n1, n2 and sin(theta2) are given, you know how to compute theta1. Look at the angle between the flat inside beam and the left side of the prism. Look like the left base angle? So what is theta2, since the angle between the prism's left side and its normal is by definition 90 deg?

BTW I'm using "1" for air and "2" for inside the prism. It's the logical choice since a beam is coming FROM the air (1) TO the glass (2).

That makes a lot more sense now! The issue I was having was figuring out which angle I needed to designate theta2. Man, it's been a long time since I've used geometry. Thank you!

Related to Using Snell's law to find the entering/exiting rays' angles

What is Snell's Law and how is it used?

Snell's Law is a principle in physics that describes how light rays bend or refract when passing through different mediums, such as air and water. It can be used to calculate the angle of refraction when a light ray enters or exits a medium.

What are the variables in Snell's Law and how do they relate to each other?

The variables in Snell's Law are the angle of incidence (i), the angle of refraction (r), and the indices of refraction (n) for the two mediums. The relationship between these variables can be expressed as n1sin(i) = n2sin(r), where n1 is the index of refraction for the first medium and n2 is the index of refraction for the second medium.

How do you find the angle of incidence or refraction using Snell's Law?

To find the angle of incidence or refraction, you need to know the indices of refraction for the two mediums and the other angle. Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the desired angle. For example, if you want to find the angle of refraction, you can use the formula r = sin-1(n1sin(i)/n2).

What is the critical angle and how is it related to Snell's Law?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the angle of refraction becomes 90 degrees. This only occurs when light is passing from a medium with a higher index of refraction to one with a lower index. Snell's Law can be used to calculate the critical angle, which is equal to sin-1(n2/n1).

Is Snell's Law applicable to all types of light?

Snell's Law is applicable to all types of light, including visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared light. However, it may not be accurate for certain types of light, such as polarized light or light that is passing through a medium with a complex refractive index. In these cases, more advanced equations may be needed to accurately calculate the angles of incidence and refraction.