Tractor Towing a Trailer: What Force is Exerted on the Incline?

• Thread starter izmeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, the net force acting on the trailer is zero in the y direction and 18472.96 N in the x direction. This is due to the tractor pulling the trailer at an angle of 26 degrees and the force of gravity pulling it down. The component of the weight along the incline is balanced by the force of the tractor pulling the trailer up, resulting in a steady speed of 3.0m/s. The force of the tractor pulling the trailer is equal to the weight of the trailer times the sine of the incline angle, which is 18472.96 N.
izmeh
[SOLVED] Tractor up a slope

The question is as follow...
A farm tractor tows a 4300kgs trailer up an incline 26 degrees aboe the horizontal at a steady speed of 3.0m/s. What force does the the tractor exert on the trailer?

I've read the section over in which this problem is included in...
the section is over find the accerlation and force of in 2 dimensions.

well if I'm not mistaken...the accerlation of this problem is 0. F=ma
F=4300(0)=0? Doesn't make sense

OR

if the tractor is pulling this tailer...the tractor is obviously exerting the force of the trailer and then some if it's moving it by 3m/s

Am I going in the rigth direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the acceleration (of the trailer) = 0? YES!

SO... does F = MA = 0? YES!

But you need to understand what F=MA means. It really should be written as:

Fnet = MA

The net force is zero. But there are several forces acting on the trailer. What are they?

Fy and Fx

Originally posted by izmeh
Fy and Fx
Good one! Now tell me the real forces. What's pushing or pulling on the trailer? Then we can break them into x and y components.

In the Y direction, the total force is 0.

But in the X Direction, the Force is 18472.960125691722371458233543339 N.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Doc Al
Good one! Now tell me the real forces. What's pushing or pulling on the trailer? Then we can break them into x and y components.

the tractor is pulling on it at the angle...
gravity is pulling it down

the tractor is pulling on it at the angle...
gravity is pulling it down
Correct. (The incline is also pushing the trailer.)

So... what is the component of the weight along the incline?

-FySin(26) + FxCos(26)?

I don't know

The weight of the trailer is (mass)x (g)= mg.

The component of the weight along the incline is mg sin(26) pointing down. (Draw a picture!) That must be balanced by the force of the tractor pulling the trailer up the incline. So...

Forcetractor pulling trailer = mg sin(26)

18472.96n

18472.96n

... should've read my response.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
... should've read my response.
Actually, he should have ignored your response. Just tossing out an "answer" without any explanation is not helpful.

Also, your answer was confusing: "In the Y direction, the total force is 0." Now, what did you mean by that?

18472.96n
Yep!

1. What is the relationship between the weight of the trailer and the force exerted on the incline?

The force exerted on the incline by a tractor towing a trailer is directly proportional to the weight of the trailer. This means that as the weight of the trailer increases, the force exerted on the incline also increases.

2. How does the incline affect the force exerted by the tractor?

The incline has a significant impact on the force exerted by the tractor. As the incline becomes steeper, the force exerted by the tractor must increase in order to overcome the force of gravity pulling the trailer downhill.

3. Is the force exerted on the incline different when towing a trailer versus driving without a trailer?

Yes, the force exerted on the incline is different when towing a trailer compared to driving without a trailer. This is because the weight of the trailer adds an additional force that must be overcome by the tractor.

4. Are there any other factors besides weight that can affect the force exerted on the incline?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force exerted on the incline. These include the power and torque of the tractor, the condition and type of tires, and the grade of the incline. Higher powered tractors and better tire traction can reduce the force required to tow a trailer on an incline.

5. How can I calculate the force exerted on the incline when towing a trailer?

The force exerted on the incline when towing a trailer can be calculated using the formula: F = Wsinθ, where F is the force, W is the weight of the trailer, and θ is the angle of the incline. Alternatively, you can use a force gauge or dynamometer to measure the force exerted by the tractor on the incline.