Using Mobile Device as Wireless Modem: Issues with Carriers?

In summary, using your mobile device as a wireless modem for your laptop can be a way to save money on your data service, but it can also be risky if your carrier thinks you're using the mobile device for other purposes.
TheStatutoryApe
How many of you use your mobile device as a wireless modem for your laptop?

It took me a while to figure out how to do it since my carrier Sprint likes its customers to believe that they have to pay extra for this "service" even though it's simply a matter of routing the data from your device to your laptop. Fortunately I found a program called PDANet from June Fabrics that helps tech illiterate people such as myself accomplish this. I've read though that if Sprint believes I am doing this they will cut my data service. So I was also wondering if anyone has had issues with their carrier for not paying extra to use their data service in this fashion?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I did for a long time on my PDA. I used verizon's quick to net. It was very slow then but it was the only portable solution I had. I worked nights at the time and with free nights and weekend minutes it cost nothing.

Whe Sprint sees that you have higher modem use than talk time, they will shut you off.

If you use so little bandwidth that it is not detectable, then you might be ok.

Also phone as moden service is extremely fast as opposed to just ucing your phone as modem.

Evo said:
Whe Sprint sees that you have higher modem use than talk time, they will shut you off.

If you use so little bandwidth that it is not detectable, then you might be ok.
I generally talk very little on my phone and my data service use has probably always been higher than my actual talk time.
Evo said:
Also phone as moden service is extremely fast as opposed to just ucing your phone as modem.
Hmmm.. What do they do that makes it so much faster?

I happen to have such a mobile phone gadget that makes it possible to go online and have a fast connection, anywhere in the Netherlands, as long as you got power on the laptop. But not in Germany :-(

Monthly rate is very decent

It's not simple though nor consistent. Going online can be a nerve-racking experience.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I generally talk very little on my phone and my data service use has probably always been higher than my actual talk time.

Hmmm.. What do they do that makes it so much faster?
They switch your service to the high speed data network instead of the slower voice network. But your phone needs to be EVDO capable.

Related to Using Mobile Device as Wireless Modem: Issues with Carriers?

1. Can I use any mobile device as a wireless modem?

It depends on the device and carrier. Some devices may have built-in settings that allow for tethering, while others may require additional software or apps. Additionally, carriers may have restrictions on which devices are compatible for use as a wireless modem.

2. What are the common issues with using a mobile device as a wireless modem?

The most common issues include compatibility with the device and carrier, network coverage and signal strength, and data plan limitations. Additionally, technical issues such as device or software malfunctions can also cause problems.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of data I can use when using my mobile device as a wireless modem?

Yes, most carriers have data plans that include a set amount of data for tethering or using your device as a wireless modem. Going over this limit can result in additional charges or slowed data speeds. It is important to check with your carrier about their specific data plan limitations.

4. Can I use my mobile device as a wireless modem while traveling internationally?

It depends on your carrier and the country you are traveling to. Some carriers may offer international data plans for tethering, while others may have restrictions or additional charges. It is important to check with your carrier before using your device as a wireless modem while traveling internationally.

5. Are there any security concerns with using my mobile device as a wireless modem?

As with any internet-connected device, there are potential security risks when using a mobile device as a wireless modem. It is important to use a secure network and avoid sharing personal or sensitive information while using your device as a wireless modem. Additionally, keeping your device's software and security settings up-to-date can help mitigate potential risks.