Using microscope for OPAQUE samples

• Thread starter refind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, the person is having trouble getting enough light to examine the surface of their opaque sample with their optical microscope. They have tried using an optical fiber illuminator, aluminum foil, and suggestions for using a smaller or more reflective sample, but are still having difficulty. The suggestion to remove one eyepiece and shine a light source down it is also given. It is suggested that they may need a better microscope.
refind
I have an optical microscope and some opaque samples that I want to examine the surface of. I drew up a picture of how the microscope is arranged (attached). There is a series of lenses on a rotating drum that are located underneath the stage where glass slides are placed. The lenses usually come very close to the glass, almost touching it.
I'm having a lot of trouble lighting up the surface of the sample I need to look at. There needs to be quite a bit of light in order to get any decent image, and there is no space underneath to shine light from below. I have an optical fiber illuminator (brand Fiberlite) and it's still too big to snake through underneath. The lenses usually block all the light.
I tried to put aluminum foil on the bottom of the glass slide and use it to reflect the light fom above but that failed too, there was simply not enough light. I'm stuck right now and need some help.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• WP_000160.jpg
    WP_000160.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you get a thinner sample? Or a smaller one in general, to get more light from the sides? The aluminium foil is a nice approach, but it works best if the sample is smaller than the height of the glass (+- some factor of 2).

You can use any opaque surface that is small in size and can reflect the light. It may be a metal.

If the microscope is binocular, try removing one eyepiece and shining your light source down that.

This worked for me the other day to give me reflected light when I only had transmitted to work with.

Otherwise, I think you might need to find a better microscope.

Related to Using microscope for OPAQUE samples

1. How do I prepare an opaque sample for microscopic observation?

Opaque samples can be prepared by slicing them into thin sections using a sharp blade or a microtome. They can also be ground down to a thin layer using sandpaper or a grinding wheel. The sample should then be mounted onto a glass slide with a drop of immersion oil or mounting medium.

2. Can I use a regular microscope for observing opaque samples?

No, regular microscopes are designed for transparent samples and do not have the necessary features to properly observe opaque samples. A specialized microscope, such as a metallurgical microscope, is required for observing opaque samples.

3. What is the best lighting technique for observing opaque samples?

For opaque samples, reflected light microscopy is the most suitable lighting technique. This involves directing light onto the surface of the sample and observing the reflected light. This allows for better contrast and visibility of opaque samples.

4. How do I adjust the microscope settings for observing opaque samples?

The microscope settings, such as the lighting intensity and the objective lens, should be adjusted to optimize the contrast and brightness of the sample. It may also be necessary to adjust the aperture diaphragm and the condenser to improve the resolution and clarity of the image.

5. Can I use a higher magnification for observing opaque samples?

Yes, higher magnification can be used for observing opaque samples, but it may not always be necessary. It is important to keep in mind that higher magnification can also decrease the depth of field and make it more difficult to focus on the sample. It is best to start with a lower magnification and increase it as needed.