Using measurement to extract energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a newly proposed Maxwell's demon that uses a quantum measurement to extract energy from the system. The person wonders if energy is conserved in quantum mechanics, and if so, how the demon is able to extract energy from the system. The article in question uses a qubit in a specific state and a projective measurement to extract energy, but the person questions how this is possible without violating conservation laws. The paper linked at the end provides a potential explanation for this phenomenon.
nashed
I've just read an article (link to the discussed paper at the end) talking about a newly proposed Maxwell's demon where they use a quantum measurement to extract energy from the system, which made me think, isn't energy conserved in QM as well (at least in the average sense)? and seeing that a measurement should fundamentally be a quantum interaction one would conclude that upon performing a measurement, the measuring system would either lose or gain energy such as the average energy of both systems is conserved.

Now back to the article at hand, from what I gather they begin with a qubit in some state, extract energy from it by coupling to an engine then perform a projective measurement that places it either back in the same state that they began the process with or in some other state which they then let evolve freely until it reaches the desired state so they'd be able to extract energy again.

So using the rationale of the first paragraph how is that engine/protocol possible? doesn't the fact that the measurement restores it to a higher energy state mean that they should be providing the energy from somewhere? or is my understanding of energy conservation incorrect?

link to the paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1702.01917.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
nashed said:
I've just read an article (link to the discussed paper at the end) talking about a newly proposed Maxwell's demon where they use a quantum measurement to extract energy from the system, which made me think, isn't energy conserved in QM as well (at least in the average sense)? and seeing that a measurement should fundamentally be a quantum interaction one would conclude that upon performing a measurement, the measuring system would either lose or gain energy such as the average energy of both systems is conserved.

Now back to the article at hand, from what I gather they begin with a qubit in some state, extract energy from it by coupling to an engine then perform a projective measurement that places it either back in the same state that they began the process with or in some other state which they then let evolve freely until it reaches the desired state so they'd be able to extract energy again.

So using the rationale of the first paragraph how is that engine/protocol possible? doesn't the fact that the measurement restores it to a higher energy state mean that they should be providing the energy from somewhere? or is my understanding of energy conservation incorrect?

link to the paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1702.01917.pdf
My understanding is their system as a whole is a heat engine and does not actually break any conservation laws. Only a subsystem looks as if it extracts heat where there is no 'temperature' difference.

I enjoyed the paper earlier (from VanHees link ) and I can recommend it for a bit of fun.

Related to Using measurement to extract energy?

1. How is energy extracted using measurement?

Energy extraction using measurement involves using scientific equipment and techniques to measure the amount of energy present in a system or process. This information is then used to develop methods for extracting and utilizing the energy for various purposes.

2. What types of measurements are used for energy extraction?

There are various types of measurements that can be used for energy extraction, including temperature, pressure, flow rate, and voltage. These measurements can be taken using sensors, meters, and other specialized equipment.

3. Can measurement be used to extract energy from renewable sources?

Yes, measurement can be used to extract energy from renewable sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power. By measuring the amount of energy being produced by these sources, scientists can optimize their efficiency and develop better methods for extracting and storing the energy.

4. How does measurement help in the development of more efficient energy extraction methods?

Measurement allows scientists to collect data on the energy being produced and used, which can then be analyzed to identify areas for improvement. By understanding the specific measurements and factors that affect energy extraction, scientists can develop more efficient methods for extracting and utilizing energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using measurement for energy extraction?

While measurement is an essential part of understanding and extracting energy, it does have some limitations. For example, some types of energy, such as nuclear energy, are more difficult to measure and require specialized equipment. Additionally, measurement alone cannot solve all energy extraction challenges, and other factors such as cost and environmental impact must also be considered.