Is the US Government Being Led by Donald Rumsfeld?

• News
  • Thread starter damgo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses observations on the current state of the US government, particularly the role of Donald Rumsfeld as a major figure in various aspects of foreign policy. Some participants express concerns about President Bush's involvement and decision-making in the war and criticize his leadership style. Others argue that it is not the president's job to micromanage everything and that he has a team of advisors and experts to delegate responsibilities to. The conversation also touches on the contradictory nature of criticisms towards President Bush.
damgo
Anyone else noticed that for the past month or so, it's appeared that the US government is being entirely led by Donald Rumsfeld? Not just the war... when we're threatening Iran or Syria, he's the one doing it; he states on our foreign policy towards Europe and Russia; he announces we will only accept unconditional surrender... isn't the Secretary of State supposed to handle that diplomacy stuff?

All I have heard from Bush since the war started is an occasional bit about how God is on our side -- there was a recent USA Today article indicating that Bush still spends his weekends at Camp David, working on his jogging times. (!) Dick Cheney is presumably in his undisclosed undergroud lair, er bunker, but what about the rest of the adminstration--Powell, Condi?

Just sort of odd...

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't be surprised...Bush has never been in charge of anything. He always has other people do most of teh work, while he stands up front and exploits the family name. He did it in his business life, why wouldn't he continue?

Originally posted by Zero
I wouldn't be surprised...Bush has never been in charge of anything. He always has other people do most of teh work, while he stands up front and exploits the family name. He did it in his business life, why wouldn't he continue?

President Bush is the President. Like most Presidents, President Bush is deligating responsiblities.

Sometimes a leader will try to run every show there is in government. Poking their nose in where they have no understanding of the processes or the effects of certain policies... take Mr. Hussein, for example, and look where that got im.

However... who's running the American government? And can that be changed with democratic elections?

It's not Bush's job to micromanage the war and comment on its every detail. Besides, if the war goes badly, Rumsfield will have to take the blame and Bush will emerge unscathed.

I agree it is not Bush's job to micromanage every part of the United States government. That's why he and other presidents have their cabinets and advisors, so that they can focus on what is immidiately important to their job and delegate other responsibilities to experts in their fields. Donald Rumsfelf is the Secretary of Defense, you know that guy who works at the pentagon... it only makes sense that he would be a major figure in politics right now as it is his job to be taking care of the war.

I can't believe the two sided criticisms that are being levied against President Bush right now. He can do no right according to these criticisms becuase they're always set up as lose-lose criticisms. Just last week here in Utah I hear people complaining that Bush is doing a terrible job because he's not listening to his advisors and screwing up the war, and now I hear that he's doing a terrible job becuase he is listening to his advisors and letting them do their work. Which is it? Why won't people who decide to criticize the president just pick one side and stop fence jumping everytime it becomes convenient?

i think you are a bit confused climbhi, it is the same complaint that he is not listening; or more to the point, simply not paying attention. granted that is a matter of opinion; but as you pointed out it holds both in Utah and this forum, as well as may other places around the world.

1. What role did Donald Rumsfeld play in the US government?

Donald Rumsfeld served as the 13th Secretary of Defense under President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2006. He was also the youngest and the oldest person to hold this position.

2. How did Donald Rumsfeld become a controversial figure in the US government?

Donald Rumsfeld's controversial status stems from his involvement in the Iraq War and the handling of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal. He was also criticized for his management style and decision-making during his time as Secretary of Defense.

3. Did Donald Rumsfeld have any previous political experience before serving in the US government?

Yes, Donald Rumsfeld had a long career in politics before becoming Secretary of Defense. He served as a member of Congress, ambassador to NATO, and White House Chief of Staff under President Gerald Ford.

4. What is Donald Rumsfeld's legacy in the US government?

Donald Rumsfeld's legacy is a subject of debate. Some view him as a strong and decisive leader, while others criticize his role in the Iraq War and his handling of the Department of Defense. He also implemented significant changes and reforms in the military during his tenure.

5. Is Donald Rumsfeld still involved in the US government?

No, Donald Rumsfeld has not held a political position since his resignation as Secretary of Defense in 2006. He passed away in 2021 at the age of 88.